Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

When Do AA Loyalty Points Start to Accrue for 2024 Status?

Old Nov 6, 22, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

My AAdvantage Platinum Pro status is showing as good through March 31, 2024. When will my Loyalty Points start to accrue to qualify me for Platinum Pro status after 3/31/24? January 1, 2023 or a later date?
Old Nov 6, 22, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
I believe it is March 1, 2023
Old Nov 6, 22, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
It routinely takes 100+ days for some partners to post (particularly Bonvoy stays via eShopping that don't post automatically - which are about 50% of my stays so far). Will be interesting to see what happens for 2023 LP accrual (I imagine they will retroactively post for the 2022 earning year, even if they don't appear until mid-2023).

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 6, 22, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
It routinely takes 100+ days for some partners to post (particularly Bonvoy stays via eShopping that don't post automatically - which are about 50% of my stays so far). Will be interesting to see what happens for 2023 LP accrual (I imagine they will retroactively post for the 2022 earning year, even if they don't appear until mid-2023).

-FlyerBeek
Having the same issue with Marriott and aadvantageshopping. It's been 150 plus days and points have not posted. I have escalated tickets and all I ever get back from AA shopping is they are still working with the merchant. Super frustrating
Old Nov 6, 22, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I just found the answer using Google search- it is March 1st of each year.
JohnDCA and justdorkin like this.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Nov 6, 22 at 12:38 pm
Old Nov 6, 22, 11:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
It routinely takes 100+ days for some partners to post (particularly Bonvoy stays via eShopping that don't post automatically - which are about 50% of my stays so far).

-FlyerBeek
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz View Post
Having the same issue with Marriott and aadvantageshopping. It's been 150 plus days and points have not posted. I have escalated tickets and all I ever get back from AA shopping is they are still working with the merchant. Super frustrating
Same!!!

Ive been waiting for IHG points to post for a check-out date of Sep 6th booked through aadvantageshopping.

Weird that multiple hotel chains are not posting
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR

-FlyerBeek
I agree it's likely to be retroactive. eShopping and SimplyMiles tend to post with the date of the transaction. Which should make it interesting if a bunch of stuff suddenly posts and retroactively upgrades your status...
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:40 am

The less clear-cut question is, what happens to LP's from Credit Card purchases made in Feb 2023, when your next post date is March 2023?

In other words, say your statement closes on the 20th of the month. Will the LPs from purchases posting Feb 20th - Feb 28th count for the 2022 status year or the 2023 status year?
Old Nov 7, 22, 10:15 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
The less clear-cut question is, what happens to LP's from Credit Card purchases made in Feb 2023, when your next post date is March 2023?

In other words, say your statement closes on the 20th of the month. Will the LPs from purchases posting Feb 20th - Feb 28th count for the 2022 status year or the 2023 status year?
How does it post now? Say Sep 21- Oct 20, does that post in October or November or split?
Old Nov 7, 22, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
How does it post now? Say Sep 21- Oct 20, does that post in October or November or split?
As one statement period of course. In your example, in October. Sept 20-Oct 20 LP points post a few days after statement close. But wondered if AA might handle it differently at the end of the qualification period.

Not that it probably matters in my case. I should make PP this month, or for sure in December. It'd be a huge reach though for EP by February 28th. Unless EP appears in reach, any expenditures once I make PP are pretty much useless. I will try to avoid booking trips, etc., large purchases, to the extent possible until after March 1st. This year I happen to be traveling at the end of February so was curious if there's a definitive answer though.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Nov 7, 22 at 12:14 pm Reason: clarified response
Old Nov 7, 22, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Huh? The qualification period for elite status now starts March 1??? Flights I take 1/1/23 - 2/28/23 credit to the 2022 earning year?

Why? This seems like stupid additional complexity offering no benefit.
Old Nov 7, 22, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
As one statement period of course. In your example, in October. Sept 20-Oct 20 LP points post a few days after statement close. But wondered if AA might handle it differently at the end of the qualification period.

Not that it probably matters in my case. I should make PP this month, or for sure in December. It'd be a huge reach though for EP by February 28th. Unless EP appears in reach, any expenditures once I make PP are pretty much useless. I will try to avoid booking trips, etc., large purchases, to the extent possible until after March 1st. This year I happen to be traveling at the end of February so was curious if there's a definitive answer though.
Gotcha. I don't carry an AA card, so have no experience in how it posts and hence was curious.

I suspect that it will be treated like it currently is, Fed/March spend will drop into March. To split it up would require Barclays or Citi to divide it up, as AA probably just gets a lump sum.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Huh? The qualification period for elite status now starts March 1??? Flights I take 1/1/23 - 2/28/23 credit to the 2022 earning year?

Why? This seems like stupid additional complexity offering no benefit.
I think they're trying to align the status period and qualification period. Then again, status extends till 3/31, so not 100% sure.

I've never understood why qualification was Jan-Dec, but status expired in Feb.
Old Nov 7, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
I think they're trying to align the status period and qualification period. Then again, status extends till 3/31, so not 100% sure.

Seems like a January 1-December 31 qualification period makes sense as people often try to get everything in by December 31 for a lot of things.

Maybe giving a few weeks of status in January of the following year would dull the pain for those who didnt requalify.

Isnt that how its been in the past?

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Nov 7, 22 at 2:13 pm
Old Nov 7, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
The change in the dates of the qualification year was announced when the Loyalty Points program was announced, it's not news. The odd 14 month qualification year is this year only as the program transitions to the new term.

I've always assumed this was to give a bit of a grace period so that people meeting the thresholds with activity right at the end of the qualification year didn't lose status temporarily while waiting for that activity to post.

Search this Thread