Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why do flights leave early when connecting passengers will miss them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do flights leave early when connecting passengers will miss them?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well it has consequences, and then it doesn't have consequences. I would think that at a minimum, AA agents should be able to confer with dispatch and the crew when 1) the plane departing is the last departure of the night and 2) the plane departing is simply going to RON at the outstation where it is going to.

Now I will admit there are a ton of variables here. For example, departures to Europe are often assigned a specific time slot and routing track. If you miss that track by 15 minutes, you could be in for a nasty delay - which affects everybody. But, if its 10:00 pm at DFW and there are six passengers who have arrived from ORD 20 minutes late and are hoping to make the 10:25 pm departure to LRD (and everybody knows that, after landing in LRD, that plane will just sit on the tarmac until 5:55 am the next morning), what is the absolute rush to get that plane off the gate at 10:25 pm when you will have six additional passengers to rebook for the following day?
Crew time out issues? Or later rest time for the crew that will delay that 5:55am flight the next morning by 10 minutes, causing those passengers to miss flights? I don't know. I'm just taking a logical stab at something I don't think has been brought up yet.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by james318
Crew time out issues? Or later rest time for the crew that will delay that 5:55am flight the next morning by 10 minutes, causing those passengers to miss flights?
That's definitely happened to me on AA (well, not the missed connection part): ~6:30am first-flight-of-the-day departed 40 minutes late. Reason was "delayed waiting for crew." My companion asked "How could the crew be on a late arriving connection for the first flight of the day?" Looking up the flight status for the arriving flight the night before revealed that it was late, which pushed back the morning departure due to mandatory crew rest period. Fortunately, we had a 2.5-hour layover built into our international connection.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by james318
Crew time out issues? Or later rest time for the crew that will delay that 5:55am flight the next morning by 10 minutes, causing those passengers to miss flights? I don't know. I'm just taking a logical stab at something I don't think has been brought up yet.
My experience is that a 10:00 pm flight will not have a crew up 6 hours after landing for the return. IIRC, the mandatory rest period overnight is 9 or 10 hours.

Your 10:00 pm DFW-LRD crew will -not- be the crew that flies LRD-DFW at 6:00 am the next morning.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
My experience is that a 10:00 pm flight will not have a crew up 6 hours after landing for the return. IIRC, the mandatory rest period overnight is 9 or 10 hours.

Your 10:00 pm DFW-LRD crew will -not- be the crew that flies LRD-DFW at 6:00 am the next morning.
Well yes, in this case. But my main point was this is a reason they may opt not to hold a flight for connecting passengers. LRD is not an example of that, as you have correctly corrected me.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum

This is not necessarily true. The FAs could be doing a stand up/all nighter where its basically just an extended sit overnight at the destination.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I was just on a flight that landed nearly half an hour late. The guy next to me, in first class, had 15 minutes to make a connection to an international flight, which was leaving from only 2 gates away.

I checked the status of his flight. It left 10 minutes early, so surely he missed it. (It’s now scheduled to arrive 10 minutes early.)

Why would AA do that?

If the flight has left on time, a premium-class passenger could have made the connection. But since it left early, he surely missed the connection.
Do you know what was the fate of the pax after missing his flight?
Perhaps upon arriving to the gate there was a boarding pass ready for same day on a partner carrier with a more direct routing or higher class? (F). a win for everybody?
Or perhaps he had to overnight and take a flight next day. A sure loss for the pax.
You really don't know if overall the outcome was good for your seat mate.
So you can't analyze these things in a vacuum.

Also the anecdotal experience that other airlines wait is pretty flawed. In all my years of flying (20+) I have only witnessed waiting for connecting pax once. It was on the old America West.
If someone says that United or other ones does hold the flight and they have witnessed it several times (to be able to make that generalization) then perhaps there is a problem with that airline that has too many delayed flights. Makes you wonder.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: none
We’ll, if the passenger in OP’s story actually DID manage to get on his flight after all, then all of the posts in this thread that speculate on something that never even happened are mostly pointless

Does anyone know?
phxfqtv likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
We’ll, if the passenger in OP’s story actually DID manage to get on his flight after all, then all of the posts in this thread that speculate on something that never even happened are mostly pointless

Does anyone know?
His flight was CLT-FRA. Our flight landed and then the door to the gate opened at 5:48pm. The CLT-FRA flight left at 5:50. No way he made it and I am not aware of a more direct routing, as his end destination was FRA. He was in first class with me on the domestic flight so I assume he was already in a premium cabin on the CLT-FRA one.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Nov 13, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:09 pm

His flight was CLT-FRA. Our flight landed and then the door to the gate opened at 5:48pm. The CLT-FRA flight left at 5:50. I doubt that he made it and I am not aware of a more direct routing, as his end destination was FRA. He was in first class with me on the domestic flight so I assume he was already in a premium cabin on the CLT-FRA one.
why do you assume so? He could have used a free domestic upgrade as elite but was in Y for the other flight. Not uncommon at all.
regardless, in other words, you DONT know when, how or whether he made it to Frankfut or not.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
why do you assume so? He could have used a free domestic upgrade as elite but was in Y for the other flight. Not uncommon at all.
regardless, in other words, you DONT know when, how or whether he made it to Frankfut or not.
Actually, I do. We traded business cards. He was not American, and was in J on the CLT-FRA flight. He didn't make it and was delayed by a day. Since you asked, I emailed him.

How's that?
corky, thelark, carlosdca and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Nov 13, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
His flight was CLT-FRA. Our flight landed and then the door to the gate opened at 5:48pm. The CLT-FRA flight left at 5:50. No way he made it and I am not aware of a more direct routing, as his end destination was FRA. He was in first class with me on the domestic flight so I assume he was already in a premium cabin on the CLT-FRA one.
I presume you mean the door to the plane opened at 5:48PM? In which case he obviously couldn't be at the departure gate at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. So his seat might have been given away anyway. If he had a checked bag, it wasn't going to make it. All that aside, presumably someone is looking and making a decision to wait or not. Even if you assume a reasonable 5 minutes to get off the plane, into the gate area, to the departure gate, onto the plane, etc, Now the CLT-FRA flight can't finish it's departure procedures until 5:53PM. Is 7 minutes enough time to do that? Don't know. But if that someone making the decision knows (or assumes) best case scenario is that pax would be onboard at 5:55PM and 5 minutes isn't enough time to finish up, then they make the decision not to hold. And that decision may have been made well before 5:48PM knowing your flight's eta and taxi time, etc. So if they know they aren't going to hold and all the preflight stuff is done and door closed at 5:50PM, no reason to just sit there until 6:00PM if they get clearance to go at 5:50PM.

Unfortunate for that passenger but everyone else on board that might have a connection in FRA is, I'm guessing, is relieved that the flight didn't leave late.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:49 pm

Actually, I do. We traded business cards. He was not American, and was in J on the CLT-FRA flight. He didn't make it and was delayed by a day. Since you asked, I emailed him.

How's that?
Yeah. Sure
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:50 pm

I have been a frequent flier since the 1970's and you remember correctly.

UA, at one time, ran a TV commercial showing a businesswoman dropping her child off at school, flying to another city and making a presentation, flying back and then picking up her child at school. They were advertising reliability.

Originally Posted by cssmd27
Question for those of you with a lot of historical "experience" - i.e. age. Did AA (and all airlines for that matter) used to be willing to hold a flight if they knew you were running through the airport back in the mid 80's or earlier? I seem to remember this being something done, but I was in my teens back then. I can remember stopping at the first gate agent and telling them to call the gate we were going to let them know we were in the airport and running to the gate and they would hold the flight a few minutes. Am I misremembering? We were not frequent flyers by any stretch back then and enormous changes have occurred involving security and technology.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:36 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by justhere
I Unfortunate for that passenger but everyone else on board that might have a connection in FRA is, I'm guessing, is relieved that the flight didn't leave late.
Yes, we all know AA has sooooo many connecting passengers at a non-One World hub and that a five-minute delay would wreak havoc on everyone on that flight....
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Yes, we all know AA has sooooo many connecting passengers at a non-One World hub and that a five-minute delay would wreak havoc on everyone on that flight....
Really? That's what you're going to go with? Aside from the fact that I never said there were so many connecting passengers, it doesn't matter if there were zero connecting. You cannot possibly know that the flight would have been only 5 minutes late and you're missing the entire point. But you do you.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.