Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Was I an idiot? (Canceling last segment of an itinerary and paying more with reprice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was I an idiot? (Canceling last segment of an itinerary and paying more with reprice)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I’m sure their jobs would be easier if there was never a no-show. But the fact of the matter is lots of pax no-show (despite being checked in) for a variety of reasons, some beyond their control. So I doubt the gate agent really cares. Would AA like to re-sell that seat? Of course. Are they going to sell it in the, what, 20 minutes after OP cancels upon arriving at CLT but before the ticketing / check-in deadline? Very unlikely, so I agree there.
However, with stand by lists running over one page, often due to misconnects and cancellations, it's not like that seat will never be taken. In fact, it likely will be taken.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
If AA wanted to, they could easily implement a system where "canceling" prompts an add/collect to reprice the ticket. They don't.
They could try to implement such a system, but it would be anything but easy. How would they collect these fees?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by S.R
Personally I would have no showed.
This isn't some small mom and pop business that you're helping save a few bucks. It's a huge public company which would screw you over at any chance if the situation was reversed. Think about all the devaluations, etc.

Just my opinion, I'd look at my best interest first. But of course with something like no showing make sure you don't make a habit of it if you like your FF benefits.
i’d no show for the final segment and, if there’s the slighest irregularity (advance sched change, inbound dep or arrival delay, missed flight dep or arr delay), hop on prefunds.aa.com to get a refund of residual value (generally calculated based upon distance) of the unflown segment to boot.

Last edited by Colin; Nov 6, 2022 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
They could try to implement such a system, but it would be anything but easy. How would they collect these fees?
A simple window that pops up saying mid-trip cancelations are subject to payment of the difference between the fare purchased and the fare corresponding to the itinerary flown. (Or if the result is a refund/credit, a corresponding message.) If AA.com can't calculate that on the spot with a link to "Pay Now to Cancel," then a message that says you must call to cancel with a warning that no-shows will be subject to the same conditions, etc.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
A simple window that pops up saying mid-trip cancelations are subject to payment of the difference between the fare purchased and the fare corresponding to the itinerary flown. (Or if the result is a refund/credit, a corresponding message.) If AA.com can't calculate that on the spot with a link to "Pay Now to Cancel," then a message that says you must call to cancel with a warning that no-shows will be subject to the same conditions, etc.
Doesn’t really make sense. Say you cancel the return portion of your itinerary because you’re staying longer but you don’t know how long. The terms of the ticket don’t require you to rebook, you can leave the return “open” effectively until the ticket expires, a year after issuance. There’s no repricing until you confirm with AA what your intentions are. If you never intend to fly the return (and don’t have any AA travel in the next year), you can reprice what you flew as a one-way and then get some residual value (though in reality that happens when you rebook for whatever itinerary you want to use the underling value on).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:21 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Wouldn't bags have been checked thru to MYR if OP decided to get off at CLT?

What if there were schedule changes and the GCM-CLT routing was changed to something else with a new connection to MYR and the OP hadn't canceled?
One must claim his/her bags at first point of entry in the US, so this is a non-issue.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:30 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by g289t
You generally won't find the nonstops costing more than connecting flights. In fact, the opposite is often true.
You must be shopping somewhere very different than the majority of us that regularly find nonstops to be much more expensive.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
You must be shopping somewhere very different than the majority of us that regularly find nonstops to be much more expensive.
Check out NYC-<random places>. I checked LAX and Miami area airports. Nonstops were the cheapest or similar. There certainly does not seem to be any premium price for nonstops.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by g289t
Check out NYC-<random places>. I checked LAX and Miami area airports. Nonstops were the cheapest or similar. There certainly does not seem to be any premium price for nonstops.
NYC is a competitive airfare market. A nonstop premium is expected in fortress hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.