FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Was I an idiot? (Canceling last segment of an itinerary and paying more with reprice) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2099766-i-idiot-canceling-last-segment-itinerary-paying-more-reprice.html)

Tom M. Nov 3, 2022 12:09 pm

Was I an idiot? (Canceling last segment of an itinerary and paying more with reprice)

We are scheduled to fly GCM-CLT-MYR at the end of the month. Due to hurricane Ian, our accommodation near MYR is not usable. Decided to cancel the CLT-MYR leg and stay with family near CLT. I didn't think it was right to just be a no show for the flight. Ended up costing us more $$$. Am I an idiot? I did file a complaint via the website...

SJOGuy Nov 3, 2022 12:22 pm

You're not clear. Do you then have a return trip back to GCM on the same ticket? If you're simply a no-show on a segment of an outbound flight, then all subsequent legs of your journey will be cancelled. You have no choice but to handle it this way if that's the case ... and to accept the new way the ticket prices out.

FlyingEgghead Nov 3, 2022 12:38 pm

If you canceled online just after arriving in CLT, you wouldn't be called as a no-show and you wouldn't be charged.
(I'm assuming it's a one-way so missing the last leg doesn't have further consequences.)

Tom M. Nov 3, 2022 12:58 pm

Our return was on a different one way ticket from a different city.

Thanks FlyingEgghead. I will remember that for next time.

JJeffrey Nov 3, 2022 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 34730356)
We are scheduled to fly GCM-CLT-MYR at the end of the month. Due to hurricane Ian, our accommodation near MYR is not usable. Decided to cancel the CLT-MYR leg and stay with family near CLT. I didn't think it was right to just be a no show for the flight. Ended up costing us more $$$. Am I an idiot? I did file a complaint via the website...

If this was a one-way flight and you paid AA more money to change your GCM-CLT-MYR to just GCM-CLT then yes, you're an idiot ;). You should have just arrived in CLT, then pulled up your reservation at aa.com and cancelled it, which would have removed you from the CLT-MYR flight and prevented you from giving more $$ to AA.

But if this was a roundtrip booking then no, you're not an idiot, as mentioned above if you cancelled or no-showed on the CLT-MYR segment then your return would also have been cancelled, so you would have to change it.

Edit: see FlyingEgghead beat me to it

WeekendTraveler Nov 3, 2022 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 34730356)

No, you’re not an idiot. You are a careful and considerate person who “plays by the rules”.

In some situations you may come out behind but overall, those are very good traits to have and you’ll come out ahead overall. So consider this experience a small price to pay for having a good head on your shoulders, which has many benefits.

WeekendTraveler Nov 3, 2022 1:25 pm

Delete

S.R Nov 3, 2022 3:27 pm

Personally I would have no showed.
This isn't some small mom and pop business that you're helping save a few bucks. It's a huge public company which would screw you over at any chance if the situation was reversed. Think about all the devaluations, etc.

Just my opinion, I'd look at my best interest first. But of course with something like no showing make sure you don't make a habit of it if you like your FF benefits.

Tom M. Nov 3, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks for the information

I knew being a no-show would be a problem if the our return was on the same ticket. I didn't think about the ability to "cancel" once we were in CLT. Good information to know if there is a next time.

Out of my Element Nov 4, 2022 6:52 am

Wouldn't bags have been checked thru to MYR if OP decided to get off at CLT?

What if there were schedule changes and the GCM-CLT routing was changed to something else with a new connection to MYR and the OP hadn't canceled?

JJeffrey Nov 4, 2022 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element (Post 34732228)
Wouldn't bags have been checked thru to MYR if OP decided to get off at CLT?

What if there were schedule changes and the GCM-CLT routing was changed to something else with a new connection to MYR and the OP hadn't canceled?

Coming from GCM you have to claim any bags at CLT first for US Customs.

If there is a schedule change you just call AA and ask to be put back on the GCM-CLT flight.

EXP100 Nov 4, 2022 8:55 am

Skipping the last segment with bags involves a risk of irregular operations. The moral of the story would be if you're going to skip the last segment don't check a bag.

Tom M. Nov 4, 2022 8:56 am

Just a follow up. Contacted AA via Twitter. Answer was

we do need to reprice the itinerary when removing a segment in order to reissue the ticket correctly. We do appreciate your loyalty to us and we'll continue to be here to support you along the way.

I responded that the policy in this situation is illogical and just not right.

Next time, I just cancel just before the last fligth.

ISTFlyer Nov 4, 2022 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 34732530)
Just a follow up. Contacted AA via Twitter. Answer was

we do need to reprice the itinerary when removing a segment in order to reissue the ticket correctly. We do appreciate your loyalty to us and we'll continue to be here to support you along the way.

Next time, I just cancel just before the last fligth.

You might think that way but I would give credit to AA on this occasion.
You were on a through fare from GCM to MYR which only has 1-stop connectivity thus mean competition. AA is the sole carrier that operates GCM to CLT which means that people who board that flight might be willing to pay a premium to fly direct especially since GCM is a holiday destination and it might make sense for people to pay extra to maximize their time at their destination.

It also doesn't make sense for Europe - Miami in premium cabins to be more expensive than Europe - Miami - Brazil, etc... on AA which could be quite often be seen; but pricing between city pairs are determined by the demand and what the market is willing to pay.

If AA or other airlines thought what you think was illogical, skiplagging or hidden city ticketing would not have existed.

Edit: Spelling

nk15 Nov 4, 2022 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 34732530)

This is the broader context of the issue. Not to open it, just FYI.

The Dangers of Hidden City Ticketing: My Skiplagged Review - Jen on a Jet Plane