Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International First - AA vs BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius

There's zero reason to buy AA F over AA J.
The soup course…duh!

For me, it is worth an SWU or a reasonable up-fare amount for the extra space, FFD, less competition for the lav and typically more tailored service. The web special fares at 78k etc. make it a no brainer too.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
My hunch is that the OP was referring to the quality of AA’s inflight product vs. the actual fare.
Yes, exactly. But also referring to BA (compared to most other top carrier’s F).

I’d go with BA every time if given the choice, but AA is totally fine as well. For all of the shade thrown at BA F, it does feel more like a true F product than AA F (especially on the F&B front). T5 to T5 is also a big positive.
Yeah looking at some of the menus in the BA thread this is probably fair although I sense it still lags the likes of LH/LX and especially AF (hence the “business plus” reference). The lack of ground service is another area BA lacks. But the fare is several $000 lower than the others.
ryanbriar and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA are moving from T7 to T8 next month so there won't be CCR for you to try at JFK.

It's not 100% clear what the BA offering for F passengers will be in terms of lounges / facilities wll be in T8 yet.
Ah, not sure I was aware of that - good point. So really no reason to take AA metal over BA.

Originally Posted by PHL
if it’s true F service OP is seeking then I guess that limits options to LHR on BA or a route with an AA 773.

Otherwise, if the continental European destination is served by AA nonstop from the US, I would guess taking that routing and avoiding the LHR mess is a better option.
Well, for true F I’d probably need to take LX, LH or AF. But those are more $$$ and only one is nonstop.

AA does not serve my destination nonstop from NYC although a few other airlines do (not all with F). I don’t really care to fly OneWorld but it’s a good deal for F and thus an opportunity to try FFD, but given the BA terminal move I’ll assume BA F will have access anyway (or something hopefully comparable).
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Ah, not sure I was aware of that - good point. So really no reason to take AA metal over BA.

Well, for true F I’d probably need to take LX, LH or AF. But those are more $$$ and only one is nonstop.

AA does not serve my destination nonstop from NYC although a few other airlines do (not all with F). I don’t really care to fly OneWorld but it’s a good deal for F and thus an opportunity to try FFD, but given the BA terminal move I’ll assume BA F will have access anyway (or something hopefully comparable).
Yes, you will experience the “most exclusive” lounge per the press release. FFD will likely be morphed into this.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by mvoight
Credence is playing in London?
Yes there was a bad moon rising in the bathroom.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
My hunch is that the OP was referring to the quality of AA’s inflight product vs. the actual fare.<snip>
Ah, good point. You may be right. However, choosing to use the words "business plus" as a euphemism for F, is perhaps not the best choice given that AA now actually has a specific product, literally called, "business plus."

Regards
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ah, good point. You may be right. However, choosing to use the words "business plus" as a euphemism for F, is perhaps not the best choice given that AA now actually has a specific product, literally called, "business plus."

Regards
Had no idea, sorry. I can almost assure I’m not the first person to call BA F that on FlyerTalk.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Credence is playing in London?
ConCorde Room, no?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
ConCorde Room, no?
We got what you were saying. They were making a joke
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Oct 16, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
There's no point in going F between JFK and LHR on either airline if you want to sleep. Other than pyjamas (only available in XL on my last AA flight) both are equally good although AA has the habit of waking you up an hour before to collect your headsets. Even if you leave them out for collection they still announce it. So, probably BA is better from that aspect.
As far as the return is concerned, I would lean towards BA however I would base my choice on the terminal of your incoming flight. In terms of lounges, the Cathay F lounge in T3 is equally as nice as the CCR and terminal change is a hassle at Heathrow. However in terms of service I would lean towards BA, the last crew on my AA F flight was uncaring and nasty.
Sorry not to provide you with the definitive answer!
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dwugson
There's no point in going F between JFK and LHR on either airline if you want to sleep.
Irrespective of the airline, the flight is just too short, especially eastbound, for a decent night's sleep. Now that I live in New Orleans, I route through DFW rather than JFK. And when I did live in NYC, I looked for reasons to be in LA before flying to London.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwugson
There's no point in going F between JFK and LHR on either airline if you want to sleep.
Well, I don't think there's "no point", as the actual benefits will be (1) better pre-flight dining, and (2) larger seat/bed which can make it easier to get comfortable and fall asleep faster. Whether that is worth the price difference (which can be highly variable) of F over J is really what it comes down to. It is a shame that BA doesn't provide five-star ground service for arriving or connecting F passengers like AF or to a lesser extent LH/LX, although it sounds like entering the UK and then using the First area to clear security in T5 may be better than going through FCC (is there even a FastTrack there?). And then I hear about a (landside?) Concorde Breakfast room, which I suppose I'll have to research more in the BA forum -- though on this front it comes down to where can I get a shower on the 2+ hr layover with the least hassle/wait - CCR, BA Arrivals Lounge, elsewhere?

In any event, I think if I do take F eastbound it will be BA metal, not AA, and most certainly BA westbound.

Last edited by ijgordon; Oct 16, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Had no idea, sorry. I can almost assure I’m not the first person to call BA F that on FlyerTalk.
What I've read and said in the past is that BA F is "one of the best business class product out there".
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Well, I don't think there's "no point", as the actual benefits will be (1) better pre-flight dining, and (2) larger seat/bed which can make it easier to get comfortable and fall asleep faster. Whether that is worth the price difference (which can be highly variable) of F over J is really what it comes down to. It is a shame that BA doesn't provide five-star ground service for arriving or connecting F passengers like AF or to a lesser extent LH/LX, although it sounds like entering the UK and then using the First area to clear security in T5 may be better than going through FCC (is there even a FastTrack there?). And then I hear about a (landside?) Concorde Breakfast room, which I suppose I'll have to research more in the BA forum -- though on this front it comes down to where can I get a shower on the 2+ hr layover with the least hassle/wait - CCR, BA Arrivals Lounge, elsewhere?

In any event, I think if I do take F eastbound it will be BA metal, not AA, and most certainly BA westbound.
On AA, I'd argue that the seat is worse. It rocks slightly on the swivel which makes it like sitting on an uneven chair/bed.

Given that AA's best J product by far is on the 77W, I'd take that for a good night's sleep 10 times out of 10 over F. On a recent trip, round trip J was 110k miles and F was 112k. My gf and I chose J.
Better pre-flight dining, yes. But you can possibly buy FFD access or eat elsewhere vastly superior for less than the cost differential.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
And then I hear about a (landside?) Concorde Breakfast room, which I suppose I'll have to research more in the BA forum -- though on this front it comes down to where can I get a shower on the 2+ hr layover with the least hassle/wait - CCR, BA Arrivals Lounge, elsewhere?
The CCR breakfast room -- which offers made-to-order breakfast rather than a breakfast buffet -- is inside the landside BA Arrivals Lounge, so if you just have a 2 hour connection it makes no sense to go there rather than the airside CCR lounge, which also offers made-to-order breakfast rather than a breakfast buffet (although I quite like the breakfast buffet in the BA F lounge!). Either way you'll have the ability to take a reasonably hassleless shower, though there sometimes can be a wait at either location.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.