Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change a roundtrip origination in the EU to a one way with ongoing domestic travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change a roundtrip origination in the EU to a one way with ongoing domestic travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I have a flight from CDG to JFK and back booked. If I fly CDG to JFK and then cancel my return after I fly, can I use the residual value for any regular domestic airfare (roughly half the ticket), or will they reprice it as if it had been a one way ex CDG ticket with a stopover in nyc? I'm not clear on how Tariff treats these and I'd love more insight!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you were to cancel after the outbound, it would be repriced as a one way ticket. Any refund would then be based on the fare rules, so you may get a partial refund, nothing or a credit

Looking at the cheapest r/t CDG-JFK fares, they show as non refundable - in that case you would get no refund or credit
Even the more expensive fares are non refundable after departure

If you want a one way ticket, then purchase a one way ticket.; there are airlines with decent one way fare options

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 5, 2022 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
also my experience has shown that ex-EU fares cannot normally be applied to US domestic flights. if you get any type of credit, it would only be for EU originating fares generally.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: EXPLT
Originally Posted by VSLover
also my experience has shown that ex-EU fares cannot normally be applied to US domestic flights. if you get any type of credit, it would only be for EU originating fares generally.
exactly this..your trip credit will be in the local currency in which the ticket was purchased .. and therefore can only be used for a ticket of the same currency. Since Euro’s involve many countries, there is more flexibility on where you can depart from, as opposed to, say, the ticket was purchased departing the UK, British pounds, therefore trip credit can only be used departing the UK
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:43 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you know now that this is what you want to do, take care of it in advance. It’s quite possible changing your trip from RT to one way will actually cost more. In that case, you could simply buy a separate ticket for your intra US trip. Do you not need the return trip to CDG at all?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by b74l
exactly this..your trip credit will be in the local currency in which the ticket was purchased .. and therefore can only be used for a ticket of the same currency. Since Euro’s involve many countries, there is more flexibility on where you can depart from, as opposed to, say, the ticket was purchased departing the UK, British pounds, therefore trip credit can only be used departing the UK
Looking ar AA's fare rules for Paris to New York, there doesn't seem to be any credit option anyway.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Despite AA calling the unused return a "flight credit", it is nothing other than a partially used ticket with a zero change fee.

It depends on the specific fare, but most likely it is not as flexible as a chunk of cash roughly equal to half of your ticket
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, in simple terms, you buy a CDG-JFK roundtrip for $1,000. You get to JFK and cancel the return portion. A week later you call AA and try to use the credit for a JFK-BOS flight. AA says no problem, that will be an additional fare collection of $2,000 as the itinerary is repriced to a one-way CDG-JFK + JFK-BOS.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cheapest one-way AA coach fares on CDG-JFK are 1800 EUR (fare basis Y1N0C9S0), while there are roundtrip fares from 522 EUR in Main (OLN5T8M4 fares) with a 50 day advance purchase. So they really have no reason to give you a credit if you effectively change ticket to a one-way. Credit can potentially be used to return to EU from US as that would still meet roundtrip booking requirement of originally purchased fares (as long as you don't no show as value is then zero). But if you attempt to re-use remaining credit so that you no longer meet the roundtrip booking requirement, they would reprice outbound as one-way fare and you would no longer have any value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.