Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banned for life?!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Banned for life?!?

It might normally be embarrassing to post this, but after an awful afternoon at LAX, I’m beyond embarrassment.

--------------------

At the request of the OP, the OP is being redacted, and since that will effectively render the thread rudderless, I am going to close it.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 2, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think you have a few different problems to deal with...
  • First, how soon do you need to get to Boston? If AA really did ban you, getting that overturned isn't going to happen all that quickly. If you need to get to Boston soon, you should probably just book on another airline (or look into driving/train options).
  • For your luggage, if you speak to AA about this, perhaps you can explain what happened and they can get the luggage sent back to LAX. If not, maybe you can get someone to pick it up for you in BOS (make sure AA is ok with someone else picking up your luggage first though!).
  • For the ban, well, you're really at the mercy of AA. If working with the phone number provided doesn't work, there are corporate contacts at AA you can try posted at Elliott.org. However, you should prepare yourself for not getting a positive outcome.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:11 am

Time to find a new airline.

And don’t trigger security incidents in the future.

Sorry…. grabbing that door was a really bad idea.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Brian143
This is where I admittedly took things too far
Game over.
sfvoyage, N830MH, SFO777 and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:20 am

Ah, I'd imagine the first step would be an attempt to clarify that it was you who tried to open the door, not your partner, and request AA remove him/her from the ban.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:21 am

Your history of losing your cool with airline agents is likely recorded in their service app.

Attempting to open the jet bridge door puts the entire airport of passengers at risk (I was in a terminal where they emptied the entire terminal over this).

Corporate Security will talk to you during the work week but if they see you have a history of losing your temper with phone agents, there’s zero likelihood of overturning the lifetime ban.

I would suggest trying a new airline and not being an ... to folks who are trying to help. Your entire story screams red flags of Karenism to me.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Man, you really wanted row 6...
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Not sure how posting this online would help your case in overturning a ban. Understand the need to vent somewhere but still...
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I’m already rebooked on another carrier. I’m not expecting to resolve this quickly, if it’s even possible.

I’ve never lost my cool with a phone agent, ever. I was exceedingly polite when I called yesterday afternoon.

I posted this online to see if anyone could weigh in on how to pursue an appeal. That’s honestly all I’m looking for.

I’m certainly not expecting anyone’s sympathy. Clearly I don’t deserve any.

The dog stuff might all be irrelevant. It just explains why we were held for so long at ticketing.

I’m still curious about the rationale for not allowing in-cabin pets in rows 1 and 6 of the A321T. Is it really just a computer limitation with no practical basis?

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 2, 2022 at 2:22 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Did the OP barge past the gate agent to try pull the said door open? Asking for a friend.
boss315 and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by mosfet
Did the OP barge past the gate agent to try pull the said door open? Asking for a friend.
It seems so? Is that not what he stated?
Brian143 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:36 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
When you reach their corporate security rep, before going into any detail about the situation that led to your ban ask them if they can provide you with all documentation, comments, etc. that led to the ban. Hear them out as to their specific reasons. Then ask them what the process for appeal is. Don't elaborate anything on the phone. Anything you say won't likely be relevant and it may be recorded so you want to choose every word carefully. You need the opportunity to put in writing (succinctly and leaving out any hyperbole) your appeal and just hope for the best. Sorry, but if I were in the gate area and saw an apparently irate passenger attempt to open the gate door, I'd have no sympathy for them. And if your history of confrontational behavior with gate agents (as you eluded to in your first post) is on record anywhere, that will weigh negatively on your appeal. We've all had issues with power tripping, ill informed or just plain unhelpful ground staff.

Is your dog small enough to fit under a standard coach or domestic F seat if you're going to be relegated to another airline?
corky, wrp96, rdlmitedu and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sound like the OP got exactly what they deserved. Being sorry after the event doesn't cut it with anyone.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I've watched this scenario play out in the gate next to my flight before...late/angry/try to open door.

Based on that, the OP seemed to get off easy. The one I saw, the upset lady earned a new set of bracelets behind her back, and walked off between two uniformed police officers.

All the best, James

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 2, 2022 at 2:26 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted post
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Poster

PHL, thank you! That is the kind of info I came here to find. Very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.