Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pay for USD-priced ticket with non-US credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite

Good evening,

Based in Canada (YUL) and have a one way business class ticket on hold from SXM to YUL for 24 hours.

The reservation hold was made through the AA app and I would now like to complete booking by making payment.

When I go to issue payment the system does not let me pay with a CDN credit card.

Not concerned about the USD to CDN exchange on my card. The ticket is double the price through the CDN website. I tried to call customer service but wait times are > 8 hours.

What a joke, I just want to make a payment, shouldn't be this complicated. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure someone here has a quick answer to this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:27 pm
SK

It could be that the use of a Canada-based credit card may require the fares to be from a Canada POS?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC
If you’re using Amex, you can usually just put your real address, but pick a random US state and zip code.
Microwave likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by RichieMc
If you’re using Amex, you can usually just put your real address, but pick a random US state and zip code.
You beat me to it, though as far as I know both the first line of the address and the Zip code are validated, so a random Zip code would fail. To put a Canadian postal code into a US Zip code field, one would drop the letters completely, then add as many zeroes as needed at the end to make a 5-digit number. So, say your postal code was K1A 0A1, you'd put 10100 as the Zip code.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
You beat me to it, though as far as I know both the first line of the address and the Zip code are validated, so a random Zip code would fail. To put a Canadian postal code into a US Zip code field, one would drop the letters completely, then add as many zeroes as needed at the end to make a 5-digit number. So, say your postal code was K1A 0A1, you'd put 10100 as the Zip code.
I live in England. I pay in USD on the US website all the time with my current UK street address but with my childhood Illinois zip code. I mean it’s a real Illinois zipcode, not just a random string of numbers. Always works.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Perhaps AA aren't validating the Zip code field? I know other sites do, and the trick I posted is what's needed to pass Zip validation for Amex cards when using a foreign address.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
Perhaps AA aren't validating the Zip code field? I know other sites do, and the trick I posted is what's needed to pass Zip validation for Amex cards when using a foreign address.
And I’m just saying it’s not needed. I do it all the time. On aa.com and other merchants. Not sure what else to say. It’s always worked for me.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:13 am

My usual trick to make USD bookings on AA.com with my Canadian credit card is to use PayPal as my payment method on the US site.

But last time I made a booking, I was redeeming a travel credit and PayPal wasn't a payment option, so I just put my billing address with California as the state and the old gas pump trick for zip code and it went through (A1B 2C3 = 12300). This was with a Brim MasterCard.
​​​
Microwave and shuuy like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I just ran into the inverse problem. Trying to book an award ticket (domestic US, interisland flight on HA). I live in Canada (and my AAdvantage account address is in Canada) but want to use a US credit card. Even when I ensure that I’m using the US site, it only allows me to input a Canadian address. If I try to change to a US card, it says I have to switch to the US site (which I’m already on), but then when I go back to the booking or create a new booking, it still insists on a Canadian billing address. I’m physically in the US at the moment, FWIW.

However, I input my US credit card and input my Canadian home address as the billing address, and it seems to have gone through, although the ticket just says on request and I don’t see an authorization on my credit card yet.

ETA: ticketed overnight and the charge appeared on the credit card.

Last edited by ashill; Dec 21, 2022 at 8:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.