Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the "impossible" connections on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
This is what triggered me to post this thread. On my flight this week, it was a 30 minute connection. Flight pulled up to gate on time, only for the pilot to get on the horn and say "Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but the jetway is not working." Then he had the gall to say "the jetways are not managed by American, they are the responsibility of the City of Charlotte, we have called them but do not have any feedback of when they can resolve this." I didn't have a super-long run, end of C to end of B (At least it wasn't end of E to end of B)

When they got it going and finally got off the plane, I ran to my gate, and they closed the door right behind me.
Malfunctioning jetways are not normal operations and shouldn't be factored into MCT.

Originally Posted by metallo
I'm confused by the apparent anger toward AA and its scheduling in this thread. When you book a flight, look closely at the connection time(s). If you're not comfortable with the amount of time, don't book the flight. If you still book the itinerary, you're accepting that you may have extra expenses/wasted time/other hassles if you misconnect, particularly if the reason is weather/ATC/something else outside AA's control.
I get the anger. Airlines have a responsibility to build minimum connection times that are realistic and achievable under normal operations for all passengers on an aircraft. The one in seat 67Q as well as the one in 1A. And they have the data to do just that.

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is this only an AA phenomenon?

It has been a while since I've had to connect on other carriers domestically, but I do have memories of running through DEN, DTW, MSP, ATL, and IAH. Have UA, DL, and WN extended their connection times?
Of course, if possible, I always opt for a nonstop flight, even if it means traveling on another carrier.
There was a time when UA MCT at ORD was 0:29. I imagine that's changed by now.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by xliioper
reality is that no one is actually checking if you are at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure and they generally don't close up the flight right at the 15 minute mark if there are late arriving pax from other flights.
I’m sorry, but from my experience this is unequivocally false, I’ve landed countless times before the door has been closed on my connection and off-boarded from the flight, so much as even running to the gate and being there at T-10 to only find a closed door and no help. The rule would be T-15, while the exception is to hold the flight.
TheDudeAbides, hurnik and daninstl like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
The financial benefit of heavy banked hubs with a/c sitting on the ground for less time far outweighs additional cost of missed connections, particularly when said missed connections can often be attributed to weather related and the airline owes the traveler nothing. Look at it this way. A CK/EXP flying often has either the corporate or personal resources to absorb additional costs when a connection is missed and the airline is not on the hook for hotel/meals. Everyone else the airline doesn't really have much of an incentive to please anyway. Moreover, heavy business travelers usually have contingent plans in place.
Banked hubs arent actually about cost aircraft sit on the ground longer for them its about moving up the ota who usually sort by price and total travel time
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by metallo
I'm confused by the apparent anger toward AA and its scheduling in this thread. When you book a flight, look closely at the connection time(s). If you're not comfortable with the amount of time, don't book the flight.
You forget that many times, there are no options to do what you suggest.

My daughter goes to school in the northeast, in a city where AA rules. AA has lots of flights there, but none with connections greater than 30 minutes. She has to travel back and forth a number of times per year, each one stressful because of potential misconnects. (and the 30 minute connections thru CLT are E to B or C, a long run) It is impossible to book AA with greater connection time.

I am now committed to flying her via UA, the MCT on UA are at least 50 minute connections, There is only one flight per day with a connection greater than 50 minutes, at 2 hours. This flight is at a premium, 50% more than the AA flights.
hbtr likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
Anecdotal, but the few times I’ve flown UA with a “short” connection and arrived under MCT, I’ve been texted that the flight will wait for me and to proceed rapidly to my gate. I’ve sat on UA flights waiting for passengers connecting, to say the same of AA as an EXP is nonexistent. But you may be right, we just know AA has been doing this banked system and creates a big downstream effect once one segment is effected.
I've several times on AA sat at the gate waiting for connecting passengers, especially if it's the last flight out of the day. UA definitely handles this better, but AA sometimes will hold flights under the right conditions.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by sunnn
Banked hubs arent actually about cost aircraft sit on the ground longer for them its about moving up the ota who usually sort by price and total travel time
Banked hubs are much less efficient than rolling hubs, require more resources, and require the airline's support ops to really have their stuff together.

AA has neither of the above, especially thru CLT.
Catbert10 likes this.

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 22, 2022 at 6:38 am Reason: Masking vulgarities is against the FT rules: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#offensive
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Anecdotal, but the few times I’ve flown UA with a “short” connection and arrived under MCT, I’ve been texted that the flight will wait for me and to proceed rapidly to my gate. I’ve sat on UA flights waiting for passengers connecting, to say the same of AA as an EXP is nonexistent. But you may be right, we just know AA has been doing this banked system and creates a big downstream effect once one segment is effected.
I flew CLT-AUS on Wednesday. Because of storms in the CLT area, the aircraft sat on the apron for a while, which caused us to arrive at AUS about 30 min late. Before he turned on the seatbelt sign, the captain made an announcement that he'd be turning it on, and we'd have about 10 minutes to use the lav (and he mentioned something about connecting passengers). Before landing, the FA's made an announcement that they would appreciate everyone's help in getting 14 connecting pax off first, for flights to ELP and LAX. When we arrived at the gate, the GA stepped onboard also asked non-connecting pax to wait, and told those connecting pax the gates for each flight (we arrived into #31 and thankfully they weren't too far), and told them that that flights would be waiting but there was no time for even a bathroom break. As far as I know, everyone made it.

Sure, a true hub like CLT can't necessarily do that all the time, but it was the first time I've seen that at AUS, and I was happy that things seemed to work out for everyone.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
Banked hubs are much less efficient than rolling hubs, require more resources, and require the airline's support ops to really have their stuff together.

AA has neither of the above, especially thru CLT.
Exactly. Banked hubs work well if the airline is operational efficient and is able to execute on contingency plans when there's irregular operations. AA seems to just wing the latter.

Years back PM AA debanked hubs and went to rolling hubs to cut down on misconnects and the drama/costs that went with it. Then Parker re-banked PM AA hubs. You can bet if banked hubs didn't come out ahead financially even with the added costs AA wouldn't have banked hubs.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Herb687
There was a time when UA MCT at ORD was 0:29. I imagine that's changed by now.
UA's standard domestic-to-domestic / mainline-to-mainline MCT at ORD is now 0:35 (exact same as AA in ORD).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would never book a 35-minute connection at ORD unless the route has 8 more flights that after....never mind.

I would -never- book a 35-minute connection at ORD.
hurnik and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: USair BA DL AA
I’m sorry, but from my experience this is unequivocally false, I’ve landed countless times before the door has been closed on my connection and off-boarded from the flight, so much as even running to the gate and being there at T-10 to only find a closed door and no help. The rule would be T-15, while the exception is to hold the flight.
I totally agree with this. Not CLT but I've landed at DFW on tight connections where I got lucky with a nearby gate, arrive T-15 and my seat was already given away with the door still open. At lot of this is on the gate agents.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:21 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There is now an algo that gives discretion agents discretion up to X minutes to wait on runners. No more than low double digits tho,
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:07 am

Airline MCT's are actually well planned out. If you are a person of normal intelligence and normal mobility you shouldn't have a problem with a MCT connection provided you actually arrive in time. Allowing yourself more time for connections will of course lead to a lower chance of misconnections due to late arriving flights.

There are a fare problems with MCT's. The biggest is codeshares. Some flights have longer MCT times, either because of the aircraft size, gate it uses, or origin, but for some reason code share flight numbers on the same flight often dont get the same adjustment, so will revert to the aiport standard MCT. One place this has caused a lot of problems is BA to AA connections on an AY flight number in SJC.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I booked and pretty easily made a 36 minute connection in PHX last week. It's the shortest I've ever done, and it was close. I looked up the flight (8:00 TUS-PHX), and 7 of the last 12 days I would have missed the connect.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I just realized I booked a 1:35 I to D connection in Miami which is exactly at MCT I believe. I forgot that MBJ is not a pre-clearance airport and wasn't thinking about customs when I booked. I would probably have no trouble as I am Global entry but I'm travelling with others what will not have that luxury.

Here's hoping for a schedule change, I found the reason why that Basic Economy flight was so cheap haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.