Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Today I was in the main lounge of my private club, enjoying an Old Fashioned as I got some work done (reading some documents, as laptops are banned) after a nice workout, while being gazed at by a portraits of several US presidents who were members, and club leaders, on the walls around me.

Of course, a guy came in with his phone and started talking.

I quickly looked up the club rules and noticed where phone calls are allowed, so I went over to him and said, as quietly as I could, "Sorry, I think cell phone calls are allowed in the lobby and the phone booths next to the lobby, thanks." He jumped up and ran out to one of those places.

It's not hard to politely enforce cell phone restrictions. It should not matter what level of (non)-exclusivity Admirals Clubs have. The 95% of us who follow the rules shoudn't be imposed on by the 5% who don't.
Sounds like the Yale Club in NY -- which does have portraits in the main lounge on the 2nd floor of US presidents who were members (Taft, Ford, Bush 41, Bush 43 -- I don't remember if Clinton was included). The HCNY, while it does have portraits of TR, FDR, and JFK in the main bar, only has TR in the "main lounge" ...
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Sounds like the Yale Club in NY -- which does have portraits in the main lounge on the 2nd floor of US presidents who were members (Taft, Ford, Bush 41, Bush 43 -- I don't remember if Clinton was included). The HCNY, while it does have portraits of TR, FDR, and JFK in the main bar, only has TR in the "main lounge" ...
The Yale Club is huge and has large volumes of people who are not members coming in for a wide range of events. It's an exclusive club, but the general public is allowed in (for corporate events and the like). So if rules can be enforced there, when large numbers of non-members do come in, they can be enforced in an Admirals Club, whose guests are almost exclusively "regulars" (since day pass sales have largely ended). I don't have a connection to the Yale Club but have been there.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
A few years back I bought a stock based on something overheard in an AC in a similar environment. Made >20% in two weeks. Should have bought more .
Blue Horseshoe likes Endicott Steel!

If only my involuntary eavesdropping was so interesting. Usually it’s endless rounds of empty-worded corporate speak. Or a FaceTime call with a toddler.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
If I see someone having a loud conversation on speaker in a lounge I think I might turn my phone camera toward them and start live streaming on social media. If they get annoyed and ask me to stop, perhaps I will express surprise that they care, since they were broadcasting their conversation in a public space anyway.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:27 am

i mean if i have to see people smoking, kids running around and people talking loudly on a phone or computer, i'd sit in the terminal honestly
RaindropT likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
DVD's, MP3, smoking?

I'll take what is the year 1999 for $500 Alex.
[Insert wrong answer buzzer sound effect]
Wrong decade.
DVDs were still very popular until the late 2000s and early 2010s.
Netflix DVD business was at its peak in 2007 and their video streaming started in 2007 (with very limited content).
Spotify was founded in 2006.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Yes, you’re right, you could have been nicer
The only way to be nice in this case is to just not say anything. Nobody likes to be told off regardless of how the message is delivered.
On the other hand, the OP could have even been worse about it.

Good for you, OP.

I would have tried to tune it out but if it was getting on my nerves I would have asked someone at the front to take care of it.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Blue Horseshoe likes Endicott Steel!
Blue Horseshoe may have liked Endicott Steel, but he really liked Anacott Steel!
TravelerMSY likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
The only way to be nice in this case is to just not say anything. Nobody likes to be told off regardless of how the message is delivered.
On the other hand, the OP could have even been worse about it.

Good for you, OP.

I would have tried to tune it out but if it was getting on my nerves I would have asked someone at the front to take care of it.
Thanks. I've trained myself to try to be more polite (after the incident in the first post in this thread) so when a person yesterday was talking on a cell phone on speaker, in an area where cell phones are banned, I went to the person and whispered, "Sorry, I believe that calls are allowed in the lobby and the phone booths next to it, thanks", and he scurried off immediately.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Wrong decade.
But portable MP3 players starting hitting the market in the late 90's. It wasn't uncommon for somewhat computer savvy folks to rip their CDs to MP3 and take them on the go. And then came Napster in 1999....
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wrong decade.
DVDs were still very popular until the late 2000s and early 2010s.
Netflix DVD business was at its peak in 2007 and their video streaming started in 2007 (with very limited content).
in was in jest...sorry you didn't find it funny.

Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
They usually enforce the age rule to enter.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was sitting in the main part of the C/D Admirals Club (the large room furthest from the check-in desks, closest to the tarmac) yesterday and noticed a commotion; a woman was changing an infant's clothing, spread out on the floor (in the small areas, where chairs and desks are, to the right of where the food is, if you're facing the entrance). A few guests seemed upset, but the woman continued and the staff did nothing. (Perhaps nobody asked the staff, but there are frequently staff members refilling food and cleaning up, walking around.)

Washrooms have a separate family room--shouldn't changing an infant be done in private, there?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:17 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
GMA, eh? I was thinking J. Fred Muggs, but that was the Today show.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Plat MM, Ex LH FTA & UA Silver
Excellent work! I salute you! Rude inconsiderate loud ppl in lounges need to get told off and learn how to behave in a civilised society. I've only had to do similar once, some dude watching an action movie on his laptop, full blast, in an otherwise quiet & peaceful lounge in Vienna or Prague - managed to hold in my rage and just asked nicely if he would use headphones and I think he got the message. Would be nice if the staff would police it better, but they've got other stuff to worry about and their jobs to keep so fair enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.