Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Facetime and conference calls on speaker in the Admirals Club are so frustrating! Maybe the conference calls bother me less because hey! how fun is it to hear corporate discussions publicly! But the people that have to FaceTime their kids without a headset in the Admirals Club... We don't need to hear it...
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
When I am in the Admirals club next to someone who decides that they want to have a FaceTime or conference call right next to me, I just call up one of my buddies and have a really loud conversation right next to them. Sometimes I'll text my buddy and tell him or her what the situation is and ask if they'll just talk to me for about 5 minutes about blithering nonsense, and make sure that I talk just as loud as the person next to me. I love the quiet areas in some of the lounges, but even then some people still use their phone or have a FaceTime in there. Of course there's nobody enforcing any rules.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The old AC at LaGuardia had phone rooms that I really appreciated and used all the time, I know the new club isn’t entirely built out yet, but I really hope they come back to the new club!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Next time I'm in an AC I'm lighting up a stogie. If the rules aren't enforced then I'm good.

I'm sure they would wait until you stomped it out on the floor
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by js1993
These days, enforcing rules inevitably leads to accusations of racism or some other dreaded -ism, with the employee's employer typically throwing said employee under the bus without a second thought as soon as the offending party or some third-party do-gooder makes a stink on social media. I don't like obnoxious people, either, but I can't blame employees for avoiding confrontation.
This is probably the bigger issue at play. Fear of the negative backlash from negative social media exposures. What might be loud to you, might not be considered to the offender. On top of most lounges may not have enough personal to monitor travelers behavior.
njvandy likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I would imagine that it would be a while before the staff did anything. If they ever did anything.
In SF I would expect a SWAT team to show up in full hazmat suits
WSTC likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arollins
This is probably the bigger issue at play. Fear of the negative backlash from negative social media exposures. What might be loud to you, might not be considered to the offender. On top of most lounges may not have enough personal to monitor travelers behavior.
I disagree. No reasonable human would take being called out for being loud on a conference call to be racism.
​​​​
​​
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
I disagree. No reasonable human would take being called out for being loud on a conference call to be racism.
​​​​
​​
Reasonable has nothing to do with it. Remember this? https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/28/u...rnd/index.html
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Some years back I was in a Delta club in the no cell phone section - which several signs indicating such around the room. There was a woman on her phone talking loudly. I went to the front counter and told an agent. She walked back and told the woman and she moved.

Some people just don't get it. Seem to recall the AA Club in ORD has a sign in a few places - no cell phone usage.

Maybe AA needs to put in more signs.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Here is my answer to those talking on phone loudly/speakerphone, etc. As long as I can, I will just phone bomb them, just pretend to have a conversation on my phone answering about the same conversation of the other party. Within minutes they realize their error. If they don't get it, then I will say to my pretend listener that there is another person talking extremely loud next to me while we are in a "no cell phone area" "pick whatever excuse I feel like" and then say DO YOU GET IT? and hang up.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
Some years back I was in a Delta club in the no cell phone section - which several signs indicating such around the room. There was a woman on her phone talking loudly. I went to the front counter and told an agent. She walked back and told the woman and she moved.

Some people just don't get it. Seem to recall the AA Club in ORD has a sign in a few places - no cell phone usage.

Maybe AA needs to put in more signs.
Agreed and when AA sends pre-departure emails, stating "Come visit the Admirals Club during your trip" or whatever those emails say, those emails could include something like, "As a friendly reminder, please use earphones when listening to sound on devices, and please do not use speaker mode on cell phones", or the like.
AADFW likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
There is almost nothing in common with your country club and an Admiral Club, IMHO you will be much happier if you shed any expectations that they are.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
With how crowded the ACs have become it's impossible to have a quiet area, particularly somewhere like LGA. MIA D30 must somehow get the loudest people, including drunks, walking this Earth. The staff wouldn't do anything all day but tell people to quite down.

Unfortunately the ACs aren't much better than the gates which now resemble have the ambience of the Times Square subway station. Some of the clubs have little work areas but they fill up fast.
LETTERBOY and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Sadly, airline lounges have been invaded by Gen Pop due to credit card offers, free passes, etc. They are no longer special. Often, an empty, quiet gate can be a refuge.
Markie, Tanic, arollins and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catlike
There is almost nothing in common with your country club and an Admiral Club, IMHO you will be much happier if you shed any expectations that they are.
I never said it's a country club, but both are limited-entry establishments with bars, lounges, areas designated as cellphone-free (in some ACs), and areas designated for people trying to work, and both have house rules and staff that, as part of their job duties, enforce those house rules. (At least enforcement of the "we don't serve drunks" AC house rule is almost certainly in the bartenders' job description.)

Different or similar, it should not be rocket science for professional employees to simply go up to cell phone screamers and say, "Sir/Ma'am, if you could kindly avoid using speaker function, that would be appreciated".

I've seen a flight attendant do that to one passenger onboard who was blaring a video on his phone. She went up to him and said, very forcefully, "You can't do that", and made him stop. So that's another example of an hourly employee enforcing a rule about noise.

Originally Posted by arollins
That's probably true. I'll generally say something to someone who is screaming on a cell phone in an Admirals Club, using speaker mode, but I would think twice before saying something to someone who is a member of a "protected class".
arollins likes this.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.