Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gate Agent Refuses to Upgrade EXP using SWU into Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gate Agent Refuses to Upgrade EXP using SWU into Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
While I tend to my palpable empathy towards the OP (and feel that there is a huge likelihood that this was user error on the part of the GA), there is the chance that there was some form of intervention as others suggest that prioritized the #3/4 passengers for reasons beyond just the PE vs E situation (oversell, corporate intervention). As such, I would pursue compensation vigorously, but would draw the line at calling for people's heads. I would also give you compliments for not reacting in a way that got you removed from the flight...I'm super mad sitting at my desk just hearing the story!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Score8
While I tend to my palpable empathy towards the OP (and feel that there is a huge likelihood that this was user error on the part of the GA), there is the chance that there was some form of intervention as others suggest that prioritized the #3/4 passengers for reasons beyond just the PE vs E situation (oversell, corporate intervention).
But there were several instances of this exact same nonsense from GA's happening when PE was first introduced several years ago; I don't see anything here that would lead me to believe it's anything other than a poorly trained GA making up rules that don't exist.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
May I suggest that one issue is his departing airport. I have never found LAX to be customer friendly. The agents tend to be self-important know it alls. Just my experience, mind you.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
But there were several instances of this exact same nonsense from GA's happening when PE was first introduced several years ago; I don't see anything here that would lead me to believe it's anything other than a poorly trained GA making up rules that don't exist.
And, DL brought the policy back fairly recently, so possible GA was a contractor or recent hire from DL and conflated the two sets of rules (and then was too proud to admit it once corrected). I am deeply skeptical that there was any legitimate reason: (1) the GA expressly stated their reasoning, which had nothing to do with any legitimate rationale (and those are rare to begin with); (2) what are the odds that the pax that GA did bump up not only happened to be #3-4 immediately after OP, but also were seated in PE, thereby aligning with the GA's (incorrect) stated reasoning; (3) as noted above, GAs have been known to make this very mistake in the past, so it's entirely plausible that it's exactly what happened here. To believe this was somehow legit, you'd have to line up a hell of a series of coincidences.

Last edited by LowValueCustomer; Jun 28, 2022 at 8:50 am
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
One solution for this would be to do what NW did 20 years ago -- take control away from the agents (all agents) and let the system handle the upgrades per the approved algorithm. One button should clear any remaining upgrades in the established priority order.
NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
It's a shame this exact issue has persisted for as long as AA's been selling a Premium Economy cabin (3+ years at this point). Doesn't even seem to be LAX-specific, as I know I've read similar stories here from CLT and DFW (and likely other stations).

-FlyerBeek
vasantn likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
One solution for this would be to do what NW did 20 years ago -- take control away from the agents (all agents) and let the system handle the upgrades per the approved algorithm. One button should clear any remaining upgrades in the established priority order.
Isn't that supposed to happen already? Not with a button push, but 40 min prior to takeoff?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I find that legacy AA agents came from an airline where very little was automated, so they feel personally tasked with enforcing what they see as policy even where the automation disagrees. LAX and MIA are some of the worst for that IME, and it's not new agents, it's senior agents.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamOF
I find that legacy AA agents came from an airline where very little was automated, so they feel personally tasked with enforcing what they see as policy even where the automation disagrees. LAX and MIA are some of the worst for that IME, and it's not new agents, it's senior agents.
In this situation, the gate agent telling the OP to "call corporate" makes it sound like the gate agent recently came over from working as front-line staff at a McDonald's or other fast food franchise. The gate agent ought to return to that line of work.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Isn't that supposed to happen already? Not with a button push, but 40 min prior to takeoff?
That's unclear to me if there is a no show and a seat suddenly becomes available. I assume any upgrades between T-39 and T-0 are handled by the agent, not the T-40 automated job.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
LAX is where I had similar issues, too, so it may be that it is just a couple of misinformed GAs who are miseducating the others, too.
Erasmus likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OP: was calling the EXP line and/or going to the AC club, which is usually right next to the LHR gate, to have an agent there let the GA know the proper UPG protocols an option? Or, asking one of the other GAs for their help?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
OMG I would have been furious. I would have had a hard time letting that one go... Does AA have the equivalent of the Delta Red Coats? I would have grabbed one ASAP! But again, the OP is probably a more calm person than I am! LOL. It's not like missing a DFW-DEN upgrade, this was a major mess up for sure!
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
NW did a lot of things right from the standpoint of automation and online experience. Here we are 13 years after their acquisition by DL and I don't think anyone has come close. Of course, their actual operations were often a mess and they certainly had some high-handed agents but overall they were easy to deal with.

But this issue of GA's making stuff up is not unique to AA. My wife and I were #1 and 2 on the upgrade waitlist for a DTW-PWM flight on DL. When we left the club to go to our gate we found F was full and we were still in Y. The GA said she had called our names and when we didn't answer she moved on down the list. That was not standard practice and I got an apology and a chink of miles when I complained.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Inconsistencies, rudeness and terrible handling of IRROPS is why I gave up and let my AA status expire (I need to update my profile.) It's too bad because AA has a lot of great employees.

Life as a free agent is great. I fly Asian/Middle Eastern carriers for my long-haul and whatever US airline will get me where I want to go in the US.
TheDudeAbides and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.