Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do first if AA cancels a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:14 am
Original Poster

What to do first if AA cancels a flight?

In the future if I receive a notice of cancellation from AA, what steps should be taken next? Read that AA rebook some people's flights to another day. If that flight is inconvenient, should we start looking for other alternative flights?

How would we let AA know that we wouldn't be taking the new flight they gave us so we wouldn't be a no show? Cannot reach on the phone and email is too slow. (read that if you are a no show, the rest of the itinerary is cancelled. Is that true?)
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I only fly a couple times a year, but I always research alternatives ahead of time, and try to have a plan "B" figured out if something goes sideways. if at the airport and you have AC membership head there! may even be worth dropping $60 for a day pass if the situation is bad enough. easier to get in front of an agent if the CS lines are a mile long in the terminal! RT
boss315 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
You need to have the aa app downloaded. It will allow you to review what's AA has arranged and will give you other alternatives for that day or the next day. You can choose one of the alternatives.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:31 am

In the past I call immediately and open a chat session on the app. The app is not very helpful. The agents at the counter have been the most helpful. You will need to be proactive and research alternatives. Find nearby airports, different connecting cities etc
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Drive from PVD to BOS (that's what I had to do yesterday for a friend).

As an aside, my friend visited 7 airports yesterday, which must be some kind of record. I drove her to PVD where she was told her flight was cancelled. Then I drove her to BOS, from where she flew to BHM via ROC and CLT, dropped off her daughter at camp, and then flow to MCO via ATL.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Always know what you want when you talk to an agent. If you ask them for options, they are not likely to give you much. If you can give them flight numbers, etc of what you want to be rebooked on, the process will go a lot smoother.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Get in line to talk to an agent in person. At the same time, call the AA customer service number. At the same time, pull up the App and see if you've been rebooked and/or offered options in the app. While waiting research what options you do want to present to whichever agent (in person or phone) becomes available first.

Edited to add if you can't get through by phone, don't forget to try Twitter as well.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
In the past when flights overbooked enough that the app is looking for volunteers to switch flights I found the app quite flexible changing dates and airports within some radius (50-100mi?). Last week my flight was cancelled and they auto-rebooked me connecting the next day and the app did not allow me to change at all and I had to wait 4 hours for a call back. Anyone know if the app is supposed to let passengers self rebook in an IRROP? I found it strange I couldn’t change options for a seemingly normal IRROP situation (paid ticket, purchased and operated by AA, flight cancellation, rebooked on AA, same origin and destination, etc). Delta and United are all so much better at passenger self service…
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
All I've ever gotten from the app is options to choose from, usually unsavory ones.

I absolutely agree, have the (times & flight numbers) you want, written down, then talk with a person. This has never failed me, and occasionally I've gotten more than I was wanting.

It's irrops that makes me value the Admiral's Club the most. Instant service from AA's best when it comes to changing flights.

All the best, James
iplaybass likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
In the past when flights overbooked enough that the app is looking for volunteers to switch flights I found the app quite flexible changing dates and airports within some radius (50-100mi?). Last week my flight was cancelled and they auto-rebooked me connecting the next day and the app did not allow me to change at all and I had to wait 4 hours for a call back. Anyone know if the app is supposed to let passengers self rebook in an IRROP? I found it strange I couldn’t change options for a seemingly normal IRROP situation (paid ticket, purchased and operated by AA, flight cancellation, rebooked on AA, same origin and destination, etc). Delta and United are all so much better at passenger self service…
I find that if the ticket had been already changed previously then you can't doing anything either on the mobile app of the desktop site. You have to call.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Use the app to determine whether they have already rebooked you, or what options they are offering within the app. This has resolved all my IRROP in the past 6 months.

If the offered options are not acceptable, start looking up alternatives, including offline to another airline. If you have access to Admirals Club, go see an agent there and see if they can rebook the alternative. If you don't have access, start calling while getting in line.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
We are flying to YVR in a week. Have been using Flightaware and noticed my flight has been cancelled twice in the last ten days. We have a connecting flight to Victoria the same day we arrive in YVR. It is the last flight of the day and other than trying to catch the ferry over, I do not have any flight options. My thought was to call AA the morning of our flight. In the interim, I will look for AC and UA non-stops to YVR for a Plan B. Any other suggestions? Does (forgive this pointed up nose in advance statement) having EP status have any bearing on what AA will do for me?
thank you for your responses.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tomj888
We are flying to YVR in a week. Have been using Flightaware and noticed my flight has been cancelled twice in the last ten days. We have a connecting flight to Victoria the same day we arrive in YVR. It is the last flight of the day and other than trying to catch the ferry over, I do not have any flight options. My thought was to call AA the morning of our flight. In the interim, I will look for AC and UA non-stops to YVR for a Plan B. Any other suggestions? Does (forgive this pointed up nose in advance statement) having EP status have any bearing on what AA will do for me?
thank you for your responses.
Another option to get from Vancouver airport or harbor to Victoria is to take the seaplane. harbourair.com They go all day from Vancouver harbor and a few times a day from YVR.

saunders111
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Thank you for the suggestion. We are already on Pacific Coast airways out of YVR. Beech 19's to Victoria. Problem is if the flight is canceled our flight to Victoria is at 1545. Only AC has an 0840 flight to YVR. So I'll need AA to cancel early on in the morning of our trip date. Contemplating buying a one way and if I don't use it, I"ll bank it with UA.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by bmjabber2
In the future if I receive a notice of cancellation from AA, what steps should be taken next?
If you have elite status ignore it. Go back to sleep and deal with it at the airport. Get in the priority lane and an agent will get you on standby or sort things out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.