Search

Options for BOM-AUS(One Way) redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLAT, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-PLT
Options for BOM-AUS(One Way) redemption

Hello,
I am trying to redeem AA miles for a One Way BOM-AUS sector anytime during OCT-22(Business Class). The only option I see on the AA site is using BA flight. However, the service charges on this sector BOM-LHR-AUS is insane(close to $ 750). I am just trying to get some suggestions if there are any other options that I could consider in order to avoid this charge(or at least minimize it).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would try for a QR reward, but I don't think you can do that online. I agree about the BA fees. You'll get a much higher standard of service on QR as well.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
suggestion:
If you can be somewhat flexible (which is almost always needed with India air travel) -
1. Buy a one way BOM-DEL ticket on anyone of the national carriers (vistara, indigo, air india) - that will run you $70-150 one way
2. Give your self some connection time, or spend a day in Delhi - see some sights
3. Book AA (DEL-JFK-AUS)

I use DEL or BOM as entry or exit all the time depending on fare availablity
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check on DEL-AUS as well. Unfortunately, the points required are double that of BOM-AUS! For the entire Oct/Nov time period.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
I would try for a QR reward, but I don't think you can do that online. I agree about the BA fees. You'll get a much higher standard of service on QR as well.
When I tried searching for QR award using the multi-city option on the AA website, the miles required on QR is more than double the miles required for BOM-AUS(on BA)! But of course, the fees are very less on the QR route.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mohanlal2000
When I tried searching for QR award using the multi-city option on the AA website, the miles required on QR is more than double the miles required for BOM-AUS(on BA)! But of course, the fees are very less on the QR route.
Put the QR flights on a free hold (do not actually purchase the award) using the multi-city booking option on aa.com. Note the PNR, and then call AA to ask if the agent can reprice the itinerary as a single award.

One potential problem is the issue of married/divorced segment availability: If QR is only making BOM-DOH and DOH-USA gateway available as single awards, then AA will treat the segments as single awards, and price the itinerary accordingly.

Another potential problem is if there is no MileSAAver availability on the AA flight from the USA gateway to AUS. On any award itinerary involving travel on a partner and AA, the AA segment must be available as a MileSAAver; if it is not, then a separate award for the AA travel will be required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.