Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can held ( not booked) reservations be merged ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Hello

i know booked reservations can not be merged but can hold ones?

i have this and I want to make it into one res before “buying”, they are award segments in business and economy ( j was not available in #2)

hold#1 / j / nyc to doh / landing 1800
hold #2 /x/ doh to mle / departing 1750

Bought separately it’s more miles also but I also wanted the assurance of having them linked for the connection ease, checking bags through.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SirHoundsfield
Hello

i have this and I want to make it into one res before “buying”, they are award segments in business and economy ( j was not available in #2)

Bought separately it’s more miles also but I also wanted the assurance of having them linked for the connection ease, checking bags through.
AFAIK, no. If you only had one on hold then you can call and add the other flight to it. But if both are on hold you can't just combine them.

Is there still economy availability on the DOH-MLE? If yes then just cancel that hold then call AA and ask to add that flight to your existing JFK-DOH reservation.
SirHoundsfield likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hello

Are you able to hold both flights on AA's multi-city award-booking engine?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AFAIK, no. If you only had one on hold then you can call and add the other flight to it. But if both are on hold you can't just combine them.
I've combined two held reservations but I don't know if the agent just cancelled one and added the same segment to the other. The price didn't change but it's possible (likely, actually) that the same fare was still available.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They cannot be merged. If there is availability on one of the legs ( subject to married segment availability ) , then you could add a segment to one of the bookings
If feeling brave, could cancel one and hope that it becomes available for award booking

Why did you book them separately?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They cannot be merged. If there is availability on one of the legs ( subject to married segment availability ) , then you could add a segment to one of the bookings
If feeling brave, could cancel one and hope that it becomes available for award booking

Why did you book them separately?

When using X->Z it was not finding the reward flight but I found it searching X-> Y & Y->Z

Will give a call and report back details for future searchers - Thanks for all the advice above on adding to a hold.. will try that
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When using X->Z it was not finding the reward flight but I found it searching X-> Y & Y->Z

Will give a call and report back details for future searchers - Thanks for all the advice above on adding to a hold.. will try that
If X->Z isn't available as a single award the availability of the segments doesn't matter.

Of course it's also possible that the web page just isn't showing all the options, so it's worth calling.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:54 pm

there's probably a reason for that, so let us know when you try to rebook X->Z for the lower miles rate
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
there's probably a reason for that, so let us know when you try to rebook X->Z for the lower miles rate
Possible reasons (in general) are:

1. It violates AA's award routing rules (and therefore can not be priced as 1 award, regardless of availability)

2. Due to married segment availability (the operating carrier does not have X->Z availability on that date) and so it cannot be priced as 1 award on that date (but there may be availability on other dates)

3. It's actually available but the web page isn't showing it (and a competent agent can book it for you, though an incompetent one will tell you it can't be done). This was my situation for ORD-HEL-FCO on AY; EXP desk agent had it booked for me in under a minute, but non-EXP in a similar situation reported having to call 3 times before getting an agent who could do it.
LovePrunes and SirHoundsfield like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much

Soooo basically I was told by agent - it was #2 on VEGASGAMBLER's post above

It did not allow pairing in J only, thought that was weird but agent was able to add on at X level manually. I was able to get them to do it as a vol. downgrade to coach and link segment for:

J-J-X adding on last leg as coach

Thank you all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.