Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for getting upgraded on flight to London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I'm a platinum pro AA member and looking to book two seats from DFW to London in October, with hopes of getting upgraded. Should I book Premium Economy or just go with the cheapest seats? Does it matter which I paid for in determining my upgrade?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by la2our
I'm a platinum pro AA member and looking to book two seats from DFW to London in October, with hopes of getting upgraded. Should I book Premium Economy or just go with the cheapest seats? Does it matter which I paid for in determining my upgrade?

You are not going to get complimentary upgrades, although I've heard that dressing well and telling the GA/FA that it's your birthday/honeymoon/anniversary often does the trick.

But in the reality-based world, you will need to use either miles and likely a copay, or SWUs gifted by someone, to get upgraded subject to availability and priority. It will make no difference whether you buy the cheapest seats or PE.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
If you tell the gate agent it's your honeymoon, you are almost 100% assured of an upgrade, probably right past Business into First. It almost never fails.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I mean to use points for the upgrade, but wanted to know if the original ticket price mattered in prioritization of available upgrades.

Hilarious answers though.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I mean to use points for the upgrade, but wanted to know if the original ticket price mattered in prioritization of available upgrades.

Hilarious answers though.
When you are on an upgrade wait list for milage upgrades the order is based on currently elite status and a rolling 12 month addition of loyalty points.
funnyfarm299, la2our and enviroian like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
You are not going to get complimentary upgrades, although I've heard that dressing well and telling the GA/FA that it's your birthday/honeymoon/anniversary often does the trick.
That is AWESOME. Window seat = upgrade. And she gets it 1/3 of the time!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

boss315 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that the price is reasonable, I would book premium economy, not to increase your chances of an upgrade (it won't) but because when you don't get upgraded (note that I didn't say "if") PE is a significant improvement over economy.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Assuming that the price is reasonable, I would book premium economy, not to increase your chances of an upgrade (it won't) but because when you don't get upgraded (note that I didn't say "if") PE is a significant improvement over economy.
Thanks -

That's what I have on hold right now - it's about a $700 difference per ticket for PE, but I just have no idea how easily upgrades are to be had right now.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks -

That's what I have on hold right now - it's about a $700 difference per ticket for PE, but I just have no idea how easily upgrades are to be had right now.
The PE seats are the same if not better than domestic F FYI.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:05 pm

Thanks -

Suggesting you connect at JFK and trying to use upgrade instrument on AA 104 might be a bit much. But you’ve got pretty good shot at getting the upgrade on that leg.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks -

If you're flexible with dates then sign up for ExpertFlyer and search for upgrade space before you book.

The very first random date I picked in October (Oct. 12) has 3 upgrades available on the late evening DFW-LHR nonstop, for example. If you book a flight with upgrade space available then you can confirm it immediately after booking, no waitlisting.

ETA: Looking further in October, the late DFW-LHR nonstop has upgrade space (C) available on Oct. 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 25, 26. Book away...

Last edited by JJeffrey; Jun 20, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
But in the reality-based world, you will need to use either miles and likely a copay, or SWUs gifted by someone, to get upgraded subject to availability and priority. It will make no difference whether you buy the cheapest seats or PE.
Didn't AA change the miles+copay rules to be valid in upgrading only one class of service? If so, OP will need to purchase PE (or full-fare Y, as an exception, if memory serves) in order to upgrade to J. This would not be the case with SWUs.

Of course, the honeymoon/anniversary approach works from any class of service!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Didn't AA change the miles+copay rules to be valid in upgrading only one class of service? If so, OP will need to purchase PE (or full-fare Y, as an exception, if memory serves) in order to upgrade to J. This would not be the case with SWUs.
No, a SWU or miles/copay still goes from either economy or PE to business. You do not need to buy PE in order to upgrade to business.
ryanbriar, pmblinn, sau54 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I believe AA has a cash upgrade deal available LOL

But since you have asked the question, check out the Premium Fares section of this forum and totally forget about AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.