Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first class award ticket to PMI or Milan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
first class award ticket to PMI or Milan

Haven't booked a European Award ticket in 4 years. When I look at the availability for first class nothing is showing up. My travel dates of next May are coming up soon and I want to be ready but I can't find any first class on any months for even one ticket. All that shows up is coach or business class. Do I have to call an agent to check for availability ? I am willing to to go through LHR on BA and pay the fee but again I can't seem to pull up any First Class award flights
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Deleted

Last edited by enviroian; Jun 7, 2022 at 3:51 pm Reason: 772’s are flown
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
There is no true "first class" (on a F/J/Y) equipped AA or BA aircraft that will get you to Milan. Thus, the computer will only sell you up to a J ticket on a single award (USA-MXP on AA, USA-LHR-MILAN on BA), as there is an aircraft combination that would provide J service all the way to your end destination.

If you want to book a F award, you will have to book a multi-city:
Ticket 1: USA-LHR (in First) On day 1, obviously an overnight flight.
Ticket 2: LHR-MILAN (In BA Euro J), On day 2.

This will be 2 separate award redemption.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, my confusion is there appears to be first class tickets you can buy on those routes but not using points. Four years ago I booked FC from Milan to IHA and the flight to from Milan to LHR was really business but I could book it as one award. I guess they have changed that now. I only really wanted the FC for the overnight flight flight but not worth having to book it multi city.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtav559
There is no true "first class" (on a F/J/Y) equipped AA or BA aircraft that will get you to Milan. Thus, the computer will only sell you up to a J ticket on a single award (USA-MXP on AA, USA-LHR-MILAN on BA), as there is an aircraft combination that would provide J service all the way to your end destination.

If you want to book a F award, you will have to book a multi-city:
Ticket 1: USA-LHR (in First) On day 1, obviously an overnight flight.
Ticket 2: LHR-MILAN (In BA Euro J), On day 2.

This will be 2 separate award redemption.
You may have trouble getting the website to show it but I think it should be bookable. If you find first class availability on the long haul and put that on hold, I think the agent should be able to add the other segment. I've had some luck doing this.

I've occasionally been able to get mixed cabin awards to show up online but only strange routings with multiple partners. Eg trying to book US-TYO-BKK (no F on TYO-BKK; only J or Y) I can get it to include a first class (A) award on JL for the TPAC segment only if it includes an AS feeder flight as well. And even then it will stick me in economy (T) on the TYO-BKK segment even though there appears to be J space when searched separately. I suspect a good (ie, EXP desk) agent could do better.

Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wintermom
Thank you, my confusion is there appears to be first class tickets you can buy on those routes but not using points. Four years ago I booked FC from Milan to IHA and the flight to from Milan to LHR was really business but I could book it as one award. I guess they have changed that now. I only really wanted the FC for the overnight flight flight but not worth having to book it multi city.
No they haven't changed anything with regards to this. If there is sAAver F award space on the USA-LHR flight then it's no problem to combine that with Business or Economy on the LHR-Milan segment on the same award.

The problem is twofold, 1) aa.com isn't the best at showing any and all routings (especially complex mixed class), and 2) sAAver F award space has become very hard to find both on AA and BA.

I would search just wherever your starting point is to LHR. If you can find any sAAver F space, put it on hold, then call AA to add the LHR-Milan onto the same award.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise, I will do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.