FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - first class award ticket to PMI or Milan
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:56 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtav559
There is no true "first class" (on a F/J/Y) equipped AA or BA aircraft that will get you to Milan. Thus, the computer will only sell you up to a J ticket on a single award (USA-MXP on AA, USA-LHR-MILAN on BA), as there is an aircraft combination that would provide J service all the way to your end destination.

If you want to book a F award, you will have to book a multi-city:
Ticket 1: USA-LHR (in First) On day 1, obviously an overnight flight.
Ticket 2: LHR-MILAN (In BA Euro J), On day 2.

This will be 2 separate award redemption.
You may have trouble getting the website to show it but I think it should be bookable. If you find first class availability on the long haul and put that on hold, I think the agent should be able to add the other segment. I've had some luck doing this.

I've occasionally been able to get mixed cabin awards to show up online but only strange routings with multiple partners. Eg trying to book US-TYO-BKK (no F on TYO-BKK; only J or Y) I can get it to include a first class (A) award on JL for the TPAC segment only if it includes an AS feeder flight as well. And even then it will stick me in economy (T) on the TYO-BKK segment even though there appears to be J space when searched separately. I suspect a good (ie, EXP desk) agent could do better.