Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Was a hotel voucher warranted in a re-route that required an overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 5:47 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Was flying PHL-MIA on the last flight of the day (630pm) a few weeks back to catch a cruise leaving MIA 5pm the next day (ship boarding time was 1230, but obviously that could be pushed if absolutely necessary). Our flight was slated to be a 787 and then earlier that day was downgraded to an A321. Thunderstorms came through the area mid day, but my equipment was coming in on time according to the app. There was also nasty weather in the MIA area a lot that day/evening. I also noticed the flight before mine (530pm) was canceled.

Check into the airport with bags, head to Jack Duggins just a few steps from the gate. The incoming flight/equipment was at the gate as well. While about to have a quick bite to eat, I get the pop up on the phone that flight is canceled. So now, of course, because the prior one was already canceled we have around 300-400 people needing rebooking. Suffice it to say, all options through any airport were all zero'd out, likely from all the rebookings. All direct flights next day, also zeroed out until late afternoon. I left my companion at Duggins and headed to the service desk where the line, unsurprisingly, was well over 50 parties deep. Maybe longer. I had already called the AA Platinum # and was given a hold time of 2 hours so I did the call back option.

While in line, found a Frontier flight leaving at 10pm and proceeded to book it, only to get to the payment page (after selecting seats, baggage options, etc.) to learn that the flight is now sold out (It had Y7 on EF before I started booking). Amidst all of this, I get a pop up from AA that we have been rebooked PHL-ROC that night, then ROC-MIA the NEXT morning at 610am. Very odd routing, and honestly the only choice we had. My only concern now was our bags that were already checked in and somewhere in the PHL baggage system purgatory. We also had only about 40 minutes to get from PHL A-East to F, so we high tailed it to the A1 shuttle, got to F and made it. I asked the gate agent if she could check on the bags and she did call and was told they were aware of the rebooking and the bags would get on the ROC flight and be held over night in ROC for the 610am MIA flight. I also asked about hotel accommodations since we were being rerouted and she said someone at ROC should be able to assist us when we get there.

Good news and bad news -
1.) Our bags did make it, and we made it to MIA by 930am and were even able to go to our already paid for hotel from the night before to use the few hours to freshen up. We made it onto the cruise on time as well and had an amazing week at sea.
2.) ROC airport was a ghost town at 930pm upon our arrival. We were clearly the last flight in. One gate agent 2 gates over was at her podium so I asked her about hotel vouchers. She said they should have been issued in Philly and could do nothing to help.

On the Marriott app I ended up booking the "Airport Marriott", which was really about 10 miles away so it's odd they consider it an "airport hotel", but they do have a shuttle and I have a negotiated rate that kept it at $129. The Fairfield Inn, literally steps outside the terminal that we could have walked to, was $249. I chose the cheaper for 1.) my own savings and 2.) hoping for an AA reimbursement.

AA routed us to a city that wasn't our origination or destination for an overnight connection. Yes, I realize the alternatives for us were to take a later flight the next day to MIA and miss the cruise. But AA didn't know we were on a cruise. Airfare was booked separate. So, am I due a reimbursement? I did submit a customer service email and they responded with what was clearly a standard response because it didn't really reference our issue. It only said something along the lines of "we apologize for your trip interruption, please check your AA account for a bonus". It said nothing specific about compensation. My AA activity showed a 7500 customer service bonus. I don't think that really cuts it so I responded to their email and pushed back, this time with an attachment of the hotel bill and request for reimbursement of room and meal for 2.

I later checked EF flight details and it did say 'weather' as the reason for cancelation, so I'm less optimistic. Plane was there, and the Frontier flight to MIA as well as a Spirit flight to FLL did fly later that night. It if was weather, I would think both the 530 and 630 cancellations could have been delayed later so now I'm thinking it was crew issues, time outs, etc.

In the end, I sucked up an inconvenient routing and about $170 in hotel and meals. I guess you could say I also lost use of the $350 room we were supposed to use in MIA, though we did manage to get about 2-3 hours use of it to prep for the trip. In the bigger picture of a week long, memorable trip, it's a drop in the bucket but I still want to hold AA accountable if there is some renumeration due.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:52 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If it was a weather cancelation they won't do much for you. Had the plane gone mx or they didn't have crews they would cover the room.

Also, not very uncommon to have places miles from the airport labeled as airport hotels.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don’t think they will cover anything for what sounds like a weather cancellation but you could always try writing in and seeing what they say.

I’m mildly impressed at the creativity to get you going towards your destination when there weren’t any other alternatives.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am shocked that your bags were successfully re-routed (1) On an overnight connection (2) Through an outstation as small as ROC (3) With 40 min notice and, most shockingly of all (4) from PHL.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PHL
and she said someone at ROC should be able to assist us when we get there.
I would have pushed. She obviously was just trying to put this task into someone else's hands and she needed to issue vouchers at Philadelphia.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't see anything justifying a hotel voucher. It was weather.

I'm not totally familiar with the hotel voucher system but the few times I've been issued one it's always been in the city I was stranded in. I'm not sure how PHL could give you a voucher in ROC anyway. They used to have a phone number for discounted accommodations for distressed travelers, but the last couple of times I've been in that situation, I've usually had to book myself via Hotwire/Priceline. It's not all that surprising that ROC was a ghost town, as they apparently weren't part of the malestrom, they just happened to be part of your (bizarre) routing.

I wouldn't care much how far the hotel is from the airport as long as they have a shuttle.

Thunderstorms in the summer and snow in the winter are just unfortunate parts of flying. You probably did well to get a customer service bonus, and you got on your cruise which in the end is the important part.
FAA1996 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I am shocked that your bags were successfully re-routed (1) On an overnight connection (2) Through an outstation as small as ROC (3) With 40 min notice and, most shockingly of all (4) from PHL.
The bags were our biggest unknown by the time we knew we were taking the PHL-ROC-MIA routing. I should have clarified in my post - we had about 40 minutes to get from A-East to F before they began boarding, so a bit over an hour until the actual departure. I felt better once we were boarded and checked the baggage tracker to see that they were, in fact, on the flight to ROC. And when we arrived in ROC, we checked with the baggage office that they would, indeed, remain in holding over night. The next morning I was also checking the tracker *AND* asking the front counter agent to please DOUBLE check that the bags were going to be loaded. He went downstairs and confirmed with the agent there that they were going to the flight to MIA. And then AGAIN, triple checked on board the plane to see that the baggage tracker showed they were loaded onto the plane. <whew>

We were already resigned to having minimal sundries on our 9 hour ROC stop. The hotel helped us with what we needed to get us through to next day. And we considered that if the bags did NOT get on the ROC flight in PHL, they would likely be put on an early PHL-MIA nonstop flight and we'd have to hunt them down in the MIA baggage claim area, still with ample time to get to the cruise terminal. And if that all failed, we'd be going to find ourselves a Target to get the bare minimums.

All's well that ended well.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

Delays caused by us

If the disruption is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available. We don’t guarantee reimbursement for hotel expenses if you book directly without written authorization from American Airlines.

Delays beyond our control (like weather)

If the delay is beyond our control, or you book your own arrangements without written authorization from American Airlines, you're responsible to pay for your hotel, meals and other expenses. An American Airlines agent may be able to help you find a hotel.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
An American Airlines agent may be able to help you find a hotel.
Anyone actually had that happen for them this millennium? I would have said the days of on-airport four-stars catering to distressed passengers were over. Not saying it should be over, but hotels are crowded and proud of inventory if they have any left, and (INSERT NAME OF RANDOM AIRLINE HERE) now seems to literally place that business with the lowest bidder. The usual story offered up here is "we're out of vouchers", and the airlines have closed the "reimbursement" alternative like a slammed commode lid. Not to mention the outstations are usually contract staff who really don't know how or if they have any distressed traveler options.

Last edited by jayer; May 31, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Baggage service in every location can give you a not-very-fancy amenity kit with a toothbrush and toothpaste, comb/brush combination, razor, and maybe a few other things.

IME GA's had a pad of notes which basically gave a phone number for pax to call and that intermediary could find hotel rooms at distressed traveler rates. I don't actually remember getting one of those and trying to use it in quite a few years, and the last time I did it was in the midst of a malestrom at MEM (when that was a hub) and by the time I called they were sold out, but I was able to get a decently-priced room on Priceline.

I don't think this trip qualifies as "AA's fault" (weather) or a diversion (your flight didn't land in a different city; you chose to fly to a different city).

I'm glad you made your cruise and sorry for all the angst along the way. Missing the cruise would have really sucked. Although I've heard of carriers taking pax to the cruises first land stop.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My experience is that the "distressed traveler rate" is no longer available. As noted hotels are full so there's little incentive to offer last minute discounts. I was recently told by an agent that all AA provided hotels are now booked through Expedia.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer
Anyone actually had that happen for them this millennium? I would have said the days of on-airport four-stars catering to distressed passengers were over. Not saying it should be over, but hotels are crowded and proud of inventory if they have any left, and (INSERT NAME OF RANDOM AIRLINE HERE) now seems to literally place that business with the lowest bidder. The usual story offered up here is "we're out of vouchers", and the airlines have closed the reimbursement like a slammed commode lid. Not to mention the outstations are usually contract staff. .
I've had them give me a voucher and offer to book me a few times. They're largely awful hotels though.

With the CSR and Amex Plat, I just book whatever I want and get reimbursed. Never had any pushback or issues booking the airport hotel (granted, it's always been somewhat reasonable. I haven't booked a 500+ dollar hotel or anything)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.