Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Project Oasis aka Kodiak aka ULCC Configuration"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Project Oasis aka Kodiak aka ULCC Configuration"

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by golfer20
Agree. Am EXP - Have flown in F, MCE, and non-MCE Y at least a couple times each over the last month, and I've found non-MCE Y acceptable for sub 3 hr flights. Point A to B!
I am also EXP. Just flew LIH-PHX red eye and then PHX-MIA on the same A321 Neo in F. I find those seats extremely uncomfortable for those long flights.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I am also EXP. Just flew LIH-PHX red eye and then PHX-MIA on the same A321 Neo in F. I find those seats extremely uncomfortable for those long flights.
I agree that the F seat is uncomfortable compared to other domestic F seats. But, I find the economy seat much more comfortable than others.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by Antarius
Not really. They actually were bankrupt, but after that under Horton looked to be more competitive and capable. What lends you to believe that they were headed for another bankruptcy?

AA's seeds of failure were sowed under Arpey. Totally clueless as a CEO. Who signs off on rolling out a business class seat in 2006 that's already out of date?
Perhaps the trauma has repressed some of the bad memories, but I agree that Horton looked like he might just be able to pull it off. Until, of course, the unions (led by the flight attendants, IIRC -shocker!-) started courting Parker. The rest is history. Bad history.

I don't have a problem with AA's NB hard product. Sure, more legroom and 24" PTVs at every seat would be great, but they seem to be in line with the rest of the US3, as is pointed out every time this subject comes up. I even had a midcon in a regular Kodiak-ed coach seat a few weeks ago and it was fine. Great? No. Luxurious? No. But serviceable.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I am about to fly what I think is a Kodiak configuration. I don't know if it's possible that this is my first time seeing one; I haven't flown a ton over the past few years, but noticed the very skimpy MCE offering.

Seat map shows a 737-800 with the main cabin rows numbered 8-33 but only 8, 16, and 17 showing up as MCE. My choices are MCE middle seat 8B, MICE middle seat exit row 16B, or I could do an aisle in row 10 which is not MCE. From my reading, it sounds like the bulkhead seats are pretty bad and that I'm better off either in the exit row or non-MCE. My question for those who are familiar with this plane is which of those is better from your perspective.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LaphroaigAndRibeye​​​​​​
I am about to fly what I think is a Kodiak configuration. I don't know if it's possible that this is my first time seeing one; I haven't flown a ton over the past few years, but noticed the very skimpy MCE offering.

Seat map shows a 737-800 with the main cabin rows numbered 8-33 but only 8, 16, and 17 showing up as MCE. My choices are MCE middle seat 8B, MICE middle seat exit row 16B, or I could do an aisle in row 10 which is not MCE. From my reading, it sounds like the bulkhead seats are pretty bad and that I'm better off either in the exit row or non-MCE. My question for those who are familiar with this plane is which of those is better from your perspective.
Bulkhead in coach is fine from a legroom perspective now that the wall is gone. Trays are in the seats so slightly narrower but legroom not really an issue.
If the exit rows are 16/17, it's definitely an Oasis/Kodiak 737. Rows 9 & 10 should also be MCE though.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by javabytes
Bulkhead in coach is fine from a legroom perspective now that the wall is gone. Trays are in the seats so slightly narrower but legroom not really an issue.
If the exit rows are 16/17, it's definitely an Oasis/Kodiak 737. Rows 9 & 10 should also be MCE though.
Row 10 is no longer MCE on the 737 with the Kodiak modification. So only rows 8, 9, 16, and 17 are MCE.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Row 10 is no longer MCE on the 737 with the Kodiak modification. So only rows 8, 9, 16, and 17 are MCE.
Row 10 was not MCE prior to the Oasis/Kodiak mods... MCE was rows 7-9, and then the exit rows 14-15.
After the mods, exit rows are now 16-17. The rear cabin now starts at row 8 with MCE, but my understanding (even looking back at old Oasis threads that seem to confirm) is that there are still 3 non-exit MCE rows... 8-10.

Example: https://seatguru.com/airlines/Americ..._737-800_C.php
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PHL
In terms of the A321, AA is almost done with the standardization to 176(NEO) or 170(non-NEO) coach seats. Delta A321 is 172(non NEO) and 174(NEO). Both airlines have 20F on that aircraft. I didn't check UA, but I'm pretty sure they're in line. So, I'm not sure if AA is leading the industry in worst legroom. IFE - well, I'm in the 'who cares' camp. It's a nice to have, but it wouldn't sway me to jump ship to another airline just because they have it.

More seats is about more revenue. And with ticket prices at what they are (and fuel prices), the airlines won't back off of this.
Delta's A321s actually do have more room because they were delivered later than American's. Delta's A321s have the cabinflex layout which involves having a smaller rear galley, with two lavs in the back wall, allowing for more seating (but instead of more seating, they spaced the seats further apart for more legroom). With the A321neos, both American and Delta have the ACF models (also called Airbus Cabin Flex) with similar configurations but Delta has less legroom in First Class. Although Delta didn't opt for the two lavs in the rear wall in the neos, it is still an option and doing so would have added even more room for seating.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 22, 2022 at 12:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.