Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Project Oasis aka Kodiak aka ULCC Configuration"

Old May 28, 2022, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards

Sitting on a LAA A321 that has gotten the Oasis/Kodak treatment and I am basically wondering what America West DBA US Airways DBA American Airlines was thinking when they rolled out this project? The new direction LAA was going pre-merger was fine, the new A319/A321's and 738's didn't have industry leading amenities, but at least the legroom was decent and the PTV's were nice in both F and Y. Then Parker & Co. comes in and decides "Hey, we're not happy until our customers are unhappy" and decided to pack more seats in and rip out the PTV's.

Meanwhile Delta has PTV's on all of their mainline aircraft minus the 717 and United is in the process of adding them back to all their mainline fleet.

I am basically wondering why the guys down in Tempe Fort Worth thought this was a brilliant idea that would win the hearts of everyone?
Old May 28, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I am no fan of what AA has become. But I am over the PTV issue. The wifi, bracket, and convenient power supply are just fine.
work2fly, Tack, LovePrunes and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Dont spend a dollar more than you have to - going for cheAAp.

aka enough people will have to fly us no matter how crappy we make it
Old May 28, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The new direction AA was going before the merger was bankruptcy. Just saying.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jfinsocal

If memory serves, they actually pushed for Chapter 11 to be able to slash costs and - as always in these cases- rip off employees.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I am no fan of what AA has become. But I am over the PTV issue. The wifi, bracket, and convenient power supply are just fine.
Can we at least agree the legroom sucks? AA F legroom is worse than B6 exit row. And that's ignoring the planes that still have blocked underseats.
cmd320 and Mr. BoH like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:35 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
In terms of the A321, AA is almost done with the standardization to 176(NEO) or 170(non-NEO) coach seats. Delta A321 is 172(non NEO) and 174(NEO). Both airlines have 20F on that aircraft. I didn't check UA, but I'm pretty sure they're in line. So, I'm not sure if AA is leading the industry in worst legroom. IFE - well, I'm in the 'who cares' camp. It's a nice to have, but it wouldn't sway me to jump ship to another airline just because they have it.

More seats is about more revenue. And with ticket prices at what they are (and fuel prices), the airlines won't back off of this.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Meh, AA simply does not care. Unfortunately for many of us, AA is simply the best option because of their superior network (out of OKC for example). As much as I swore I'd status match to UA or DL post-covid, both of them have dramatically shrunk in OKC compared to AA. So we're stuck for now. Oh, and every flight is full and fares are nuts. So ..
Old May 29, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA doesn't have a seatmap out for their 321neos yet (that I can find). They have 159 coach seats in their MAX9's with 20F seats with same 37" pitch as AA/DL. If you are looking for an airline that still has decent pitch in F, AS is about it with 41" on their 738s and 739s.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Not really. They actually were bankrupt, but after that under Horton looked to be more competitive and capable. What lends you to believe that they were headed for another bankruptcy?

AA's seeds of failure were sowed under Arpey. Totally clueless as a CEO. Who signs off on rolling out a business class seat in 2006 that's already out of date?
cmd320 and JBKettle like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmr50
Can we at least agree the legroom sucks? AA F legroom is worse than B6 exit row. And that's ignoring the planes that still have blocked underseats.
To me the leg room is fine, both bulkhead and non-bulkhead. I have no problem stretching my legs and working on my laptop even when the seat in front of me is reclined. Yes, more is always better, but the current pitch works for me at least.

I've also never understood the obsession with IFE on domestic aircraft. I like the ability to watch movies on my own devices, and it's also nice that, as technology improves over time, we don't need to wait for AA to retrofit seatback equipment.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
To me the leg room is fine, both bulkhead and non-bulkhead. I have no problem stretching my legs and working on my laptop even when the seat in front of me is reclined. Yes, more is always better, but the current pitch works for me at least.

I've also never understood the obsession with IFE on domestic aircraft. I like the ability to watch movies on my own devices, and it's also nice that, as technology improves over time, we don't need to wait for AA to retrofit seatback equipment.
I'm with you. I also don't find the legroom to be all that bad or really different from previous configs, even in non-MCE seats (been in non-MCE on reconfiged 738 and A321).
Old May 29, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'm with you. I also don't find the legroom to be all that bad or really different from previous configs, even in non-MCE seats (been in non-MCE on reconfiged 738 and A321).
Agree. Am EXP - Have flown in F, MCE, and non-MCE Y at least a couple times each over the last month, and I've found non-MCE Y acceptable for sub 3 hr flights. Point A to B!
Old May 29, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I wish they would just get rid of IFE on every aircraft. It's annoying and takes up valuable space. All the entertainment is still available, just streamed to your device because this isn't the 1980s.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I wish they would just get rid of IFE on every aircraft. It's annoying and takes up valuable space. All the entertainment is still available, just streamed to your device because this isn't the 1980s.
The new systems like DL and others are implementing are basically screens that connect to an onboard system. Much lighter and cheaper than the clunky boxes under the seat.
I like having IFE as I can have something (or the map) running while I use my laptop. And it's at a good height to avoid neck strain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.