Wiki Posts
Search

HND Minimum Connection Time?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
HND Minimum Connection Time?

Just booked SFO-HND-GMP (operated by JL) on AA in J. 1:00 connection between flights. Is that enough time to connect at HND? Sorry for the newb question, I've never connected at HND and normally fly *A.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
When are you traveling? HND-GMP isn't operating yet. It keeps getting loaded and then canceled.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Just booked SFO-HND-GMP (operated by JL) on AA in J. 1:00 connection between flights. Is that enough time to connect at HND? Sorry for the newb question, I've never connected at HND and normally fly *A.
Yes, MCT looks to be 50 mins so you're 10 mins above that. No issues. And honestly with how efficient things are in Japan you could probably arrive 30 mins late and still have no problem making the flight (a JL agent would be waiting to whisk you through security and to the next gate, etc.)
Antarius likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
When are you traveling? HND-GMP isn't operating yet. It keeps getting loaded and then canceled.
Feb 2023. I'm assuming if it the route gets cancelled, they'll rebook me on HND-ICN?
Old May 11, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, MCT looks to be 50 mins so you're 10 mins above that. No issues. And honestly with how efficient things are in Japan you could probably arrive 30 mins late and still have no problem making the flight (a JL agent would be waiting to whisk you through security and to the next gate, etc.)
Got it, thanks for sharing the MCT. And good to know I might get support from JL agents.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Feb 2023. I'm assuming if it the route gets cancelled, they'll rebook me on HND-ICN?
You should be fine by then. I have seen some posts of flights happening now while Japan is still closed that are getting people stuck. Right now HND-GMP isn't operating at all.

At that point HND-GMP should be operating and if something happens to go wrong, you'd get rerouted like any flight cancelation.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Agents at NRT and HND seem very proactive about ensuring people make their flights. Even in the main terminal area and around passport control, there are always agents with signs trying to track down people to hurry them to their boarding gates. If you're on a connecting flight and the time is close, I'm sure there will be an agent ready to hustle you over to your connecting gate.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
HND-GMP is a fairly quick connect - as long as your AA flight is on time you should not have an issue. I used to do this often enough before the pandemic. You will need to re-clear HND airport security which is quick no immigration or other formalities and as others have said on a tight connection if your inbound is late you will likely be met at the gate my a Japan Airlines agent to expedite you to the next gate.

Do note that if HND-GMP does not operate in Feb 2023 (doubt this will be the case though), that HND-ICN is NOT operated by JL - they codeshare on the KE/Korean Air flight which does NOT operate outside of an early AM flight once a day. Also, your first flight is JL anyway (AA codeshares on the JL SFO-HND flight), so this should really have been posted in the JL forum as neither flight is on AA.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Sorry I know this thread was from a while ago. Just a note that HND-ICN does not exist. There is no such flight on any airline. Also, JL doesn't fly to ICN even from NRT.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
...JL doesn't fly to ICN even from NRT.
While JL doesn't fly NRT-ICN, according to Google Flights, JL does fly HND-GMP (Seoul Kimpo airport, the old international airport SEL). You'd be much better off at Kimpo anyway, as it is much closer to town, and can take the Seoul subway to town (rather than the much longer train to ICN).

It appears that several other airlines fly between HND/NRT and GMP or ICN also.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 4, 2022 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.