Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting a J meal in Flagship First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Requesting a J meal in Flagship First

Hi everyone,

I'm flying Flagship First for the first time this coming Tuesday, JFK-SFO - 4 PM departure. I originally booked in J and my mileage upgrade cleared.

I just had a look at the meal reservation page, and this may sound odd but I actually preferred the entree options that were offered when I booked my original J ticket to those offered in F. While I'm glad to see they're once again offering food (and hopefully wine) exclusive to Flagship First and not just serving the exact same thing as in business, this month's options are just not ones that I personally like. I was wondering if I can request one of the J entrees in advance or on board anyway?

(If not I'll probably just fill up as much as possible in FF dining!)

Thanks for any insight!
Old Mar 12, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I am pretty sure the J and F meas are the same, that is what I recall.
DC9 and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 8:53 pm

The meals on J and F on Flagship are the same. They are served in courses in F rather than by tray in J. I am not sure about the liquor since I do not drink much.
DC9 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Originally Posted by bgasser
The meals on J and F on Flagship are the same...
Definitely not accurate. For A321T Flagship, pre-COVID typically 3 of the choices were the same and F had an additional option. For a while during COVID I believe the F and J meals were identical. Currently, it appears two of the entrees are different between J and F (see sample J and F dinner menus for this month):

J menu:

F menu:

-FlyerBeek
aquanine likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:53 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Yes. Not much difference. 🤔.

Anyone tried the J menu short ribs?

Last edited by DC9; Mar 12, 2022 at 11:02 pm
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by DC9
Anyone tried the J menu short ribs?
Yes, easiest beef dish for AA not to mess up. FWIW, I recommend it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Definitely not accurate. For A321T Flagship, pre-COVID typically 3 of the choices were the same and F had an additional option. For a while during COVID I believe the F and J meals were identical. Currently, it appears two of the entrees are different between J and F (see sample J and F dinner menus for this month):

J menu:

F menu:

-FlyerBeek

Does the A321T meal differ based on the route: I'm on SFO-JFK-SFO in a few days and I have not same options.

Meal Options in F

Meal option in J
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Exactly, these are the J and F menus I have seen as well. So my question is: is there a way to request one of the J entrees even though I'm in F? Over the phone maybe?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoegksf

OP specifically said he saw both menus and they were different.

I think it’s highly unlikely to get them to cater a J entree for F. Downgrade if it’s that important.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't see them being able to guarantee in advance that you can get a J entree in F class. What happens if you change flights? Somebody in F is stuck with a J meal because that's what they catered for you?

I think once on the plane, if you politely asked "If you have any J meals leftover, I'd prefer that" then the flight attendants would try to accommodate you, but pre-reserving one I don't think will be possible.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
OR better yet, have a meal of your choice before you get on the plane. Your choice, your meal. The post before mine makes the most sense. Once on board ask FA'a asap if you could have the meal you'd like and most often than not, they will do their best to accommodate you.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Does the A321T meal differ based on the route: I'm on SFO-JFK-SFO in a few days and I have not same options.
Generally speaking, meal options will vary by flight direction (eastbound transcons and westbond transcons will have different meals) and change monthly. The Flagship transcon menus should be the same for rerspective meal type (breakfast, lunch/dinner) flights for each respective cabin (i.e. JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX should all have the same menu in J for the entire month but will differ from the LAX/SFO-JFK and LAX-MIA menus).

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Generally speaking, meal options will vary by flight direction (eastbound transcons and westbond transcons will have different meals) and change monthly. The Flagship transcon menus should be the same for rerspective meal type (breakfast, lunch/dinner) flights for each respective cabin (i.e. JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX should all have the same menu in J for the entire month but will differ from the LAX/SFO-JFK and LAX-MIA menus).

-FlyerBeek
Ahhhh... Thanks....

My two uploads are both dinner options on SFO-JFK-SFO. Are your post for Lunch/Dinner and/or on LAX/MIA or does BOS/LAX need to be treated as a beast of its own? Something with Baked Beans.... LOL Or... Maybe the month switch isn't a true calendar month as it I am recalling your posts was for March as is mine. Things may have changed between our two flights if were on a routing that's similar.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Also noticed this LAX-BOS two week ago - one of the choice on J that I picked before an upgrade was not on the F menu, so confirming on my end, the days of F = J + Soup aren't as simple as that any more.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Are your post for Lunch/Dinner and/or on LAX/MIA or does BOS/LAX need to be treated as a beast of its own?
Didn't mean to exclude BOS-LAX (or JFK-SNA). Those routes also currently get the Flagship catering same as JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
the days of F = J + Soup aren't as simple as that any more.
Yup, it's been that way for several years (with the exception of a period during COVID when F/J meals were identical).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.