Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Drink Cut-Off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Admirals Club Drink Cut-Off

Has anyone been cut off at the Admirals Club before? Had 3 drinks over 2 and a half hours and was told I was being cut off and that they "monitor alcohol consumption."

Seemed very strange. Lax T4.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Has anyone been cut off at the Admirals Club before? Had 3 drinks over 2 and a half hours and was told I was being cut off and that they "monitor alcohol consumption."

I have had many more drinks than this in a much shorter amount of time and never had an issue. That being said, I’m a rather reserved individual in airports and generally don’t talk to others unless prompted or asking for something.

Could very well just be a rogue individual working the bar who had a rough day. If ever turned down, I’d just chalk it up to someone doing their job and exercising the level of professional skepticism they are comfortable with. Doesn’t mean you were too drunk, but it happens and I will never fault a bartender for doing that portion of their job. Safe travels, and hope you found another airport bar or another AC to suit your wishes
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You've got to be kidding me.

Three drinks over 2.5 hrs is nothing.

Definitely not the norm. We've seen this kind of overzealous alcohol policing behavior by a few rogue FA's but never by AC staff that I'm aware of.

Major AA
roadtriper and FrogProf like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I would complain. And I'm far from a chronic complainer (2 complaints in nearly 20 years).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Not that it makes it right, but I wonder if OP wasn't tipping for the drinks and the staff there was having a bad day.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:44 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Nothing pisses FTers off more than being told they can't drink as much as they want. Airline clubs and airplanes aren't the place to drink as much as you can just because it's free.
They can't personally monitor every single drink you've had, so they might be on the conservative side. They don't want to be partially responsible for a drunken air rage situation.
Redhead, SJOGuy, milski and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Nothing pisses FTers off more than being told they can't drink as much as they want. Airline clubs and airplanes aren't the place to drink as much as you can just because it's free.
They can't personally monitor every single drink you've had, so they might be on the conservative side. They don't want to be partially responsible for a drunken air rage situation.
It's not the place of anyone on this forum to tell someone when/where/how much they can or can't drink. Same for airline employees unless they are a bartender and properly assessing the situation (and not just making up rules as they go to avoid serving someone out of fear of what might happen down the road).

We went decades with people drinking as they wanted with almost no reports of "air rage incidents". Then, along came two things: 1) mask mandates, and 2) typical media crap picking up any instance of this that they can and blowing it out of proportion, making the problem seem more severe.

Point the issue to the true source of the problem - which is NOT the guy sitting in the corner having roughly 1 drink per hour.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Sounds like a rouge employee who had a bad day.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
They probably thought you looked inebriated? Doubt they actually kept track. Seems like the usual excuse FAs use when they want to cut someone off.
AndyKehn likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Then, along came two things: 1) mask mandates, and 2) typical media crap picking up any instance of this that they can and blowing it out of proportion, making the problem seem more severe.
Three things actually. 3.) Cell phone cameras in every hand.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’ve seen people get cut off at the centurion lounge but not the AC
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Nothing brings out the holier-than-thou teetotalers like someone trying to get clarification on arbitrary drinking restrictions implemented by airlines.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I don't drink any more.

And I don't drink any less.

Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’ve seen people get cut off at the centurion lounge but not the AC
LOL, I got cut off at JFK Centurion. I hadn't had a drink all day and I had just arrived at the lounge but the bartender was convinced I had been cut off. Eventually she took a good look at me and realized she had me confused with someone else. She was apologetic and made me some good cocktails but I still had to give her a pretty hard time. Those who have met me know that I'm not easily confused with others!
robertablake likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OP, were you buying drinks or drinking the freebies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.