Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Drink Cut-Off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Nothing pisses FTers off more than being told they can't drink as much as they want. Airline clubs and airplanes aren't the place to drink as much as you can just because it's free.
They can't personally monitor every single drink you've had, so they might be on the conservative side. They don't want to be partially responsible for a drunken air rage situation.
I've never heard of an FTerer from a airline club causing a problem on a plane..

We all drink responsibly or act like pleasant drunks not bothering anybody
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm sure that the OP ran into a bartender who lost track of time and thought they had served the OP more in a shorter period. It is not necessary to bring in mask mandates, media criticism, and general anger at the world into the discussion. It seems clear that nobody else has had this problem. So, it is likely NOT a new policy of some sort. The OP has two options: 1) Let it go. or 2) File a complaint.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I think many of you are reading a bit too far into the situation, and that's my fault for not being clear.

This was by no means an angry "I wanna drink more alcohol!" post. I was simply curious if any had experienced the same thing, since I was a bit surprised considering the amount I had consumed (not much). If I had to guess, he was more or less pissed off at my Dad, who I was seated next to, and decided to get 4 of the complimentary white wines and simply told me as I got my last drink.

Nevertheless, very interesting, and thank you for sharing your insight
scoonee and robertablake like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:37 am

I was once cut off in a different lounge (not AA) without having anything to drink. I slipped on a rogue piece of trash on the floor, but luckily managed to grab a bar stool to avoid falling. Sat down on the stool and the bartender said he couldn't serve me because I "appeared drunk." I tried to explain the situation but he wasn't having it so I shrugged and grabbed a coffee and sat down somewhere else.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
While I personally haven't been cut off in an airport lounge I have seen it occur on a couple of occasions. Once was in PHX where the bartender told a customer she was cutting him off because she believed he'd be driving when he got to his destination. The second was in the Centurion Lounge at LAS where the customer was knocking back the shots at a tremendous rate. That aside, I have seen a fair few people in a right state in various clubs / lounges over there years where perhaps they should have been cut off but weren't
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Nothing pisses FTers off more than being told they can't drink as much as they want. Airline clubs and airplanes aren't the place to drink as much as you can just because it's free.
They can't personally monitor every single drink you've had, so they might be on the conservative side. They don't want to be partially responsible for a drunken air rage situation.
Stop.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I was once cut off in a different lounge (not AA) without having anything to drink. I slipped on a rogue piece of trash on the floor, but luckily managed to grab a bar stool to avoid falling. Sat down on the stool and the bartender said he couldn't serve me because I "appeared drunk." I tried to explain the situation but he wasn't having it so I shrugged and grabbed a coffee and sat down somewhere else.
Not even airport related but a drunk guy in a bar tried to pull me down a small set of stairs to kiss me, and I fell. A tiny military haircut lady bouncer tried to kick ME out for being drunk. I gave her a few choice words and told her if she was actually doing her job, she would have kicked him out (or no one, but certainly not me - by the way sober people fall down stairs sometimes)
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Some more than others
This isn't the first time that weird circumstances related to alcohol have been reported at this lounge. I've also read anecdotally in other threads of people being cut off at one of the LAX AC's.

LAX AA Club Drink Policy

LAX is my home airport and I've been using this lounge often for nearly 20 years (mostly pre-Covid though) and haven't had a problem with any of the bartenders or other staff.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For what it is worth, Alaska Lounges have a three drink limit often enforced. But at least they tend to have nice drinks!
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:50 pm

I have to trust the bartender that if they cut you off (and risk an angry response from a customer who’s been drinking), then they had good reasons to do it. It’s a professional call that has to be made.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by FabCW
I have to trust the bartender that if they cut you off (and risk an angry response from a customer who’s been drinking), then they had good reasons to do it. It’s a professional call that has to be made.
I wouldn't be so sure.

I've had the same thing happen but in the air by overzealous AA crew. People who probably never drink so they think 3 glasses of wine is excessive.

Similar profile to the people on this thread that are moralizing....
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For what it is worth, Alaska Lounges have a three drink limit often enforced. But at least they tend to have nice drinks!
I've never had that limit enforced at the LAX Terminal 6 Alaska Lounge.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I find the way they do it in the US super irritating. Why do I have to go to a barman and ask for a glass of wine? (and pay yet another tip...)

In Europe and elsewhere in the world it's self-service. If people are out of line they are asked to leave, or worse but I have never, ever seen that... except maybe in the UK.

Long live Puritanism... and liability...

But I digress...
AADFW likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I find the way they do it in the US super irritating. Why do I have to go to a barman and ask for a glass of wine? (and pay yet another tip...)

In Europe and elsewhere in the world it's self-service. If people are out of line they are asked to leave, or worse but I have never, ever seen that... except maybe in the UK.

Long live Puritanism... and liability...

But I digress...
it's self service in the crappier lounges. I've certainly never gotten my own drink at at a good first class lounge.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
it's self service in the crappier lounges. I've certainly never gotten my own drink at at a good first class lounge.
In Business class lounges it is most definitely self service for basic drinks-- beer and wine.

If you want cocktails there is often a barman.

Think you missed my point. No, not a question of "crappier". Lounges in Europe and Asia are far better than the ones in the US and you don't have this nonsense of having to go to the bar to get a beer...and tip... or even worse in the case of US carriers take their crappy wine selection or pay $10+ a glass for "select" wines.

Most importantly nobody is policing you like they do in the US.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.