Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combine AA reservation with LY for luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Is there a way to combine an AA reservation from JFK to CDG with a connection later that day on LY to TLV so we can check in luggage in JFK all the way through to TLV?
Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Only if the LY flight from CDG to TLV is marketed by AA as a codeshare and is on the same ticket or Passenger Name Record.

Please refer to the following thread, although I do not know if that codesharing agreement is still in effect:
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Only if the LY flight from CDG to TLV is marketed by AA as a codeshare and is on the same ticket or Passenger Name Record.

Please refer to the following thread, although I do not know if that codesharing agreement is still in effect:
Are you sure AA won't do this with an airline it has an interline agreement with, if it is on the same ticket?
Why would it have to be a codeshare?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If it’s in the same ticket then yes. If not then no.

Many people say they have a connection when in reality they don’t.

OP need to clarify how this was booked. They say “combine” which to me indicates these are separate bookings.
seawolf likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884

Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure AA won't do this with an airline it has an interline agreement with, if it is on the same ticket?
Why would it have to be a codeshare?
Codeshare does not matter. What matters is it is on the same ticket and there is a baggage interline agreement (having ticketing interline agreement is not same as having a baggage interline agreement; majority of the time both exist.)

Different tickets within same PNR is not checked-thru unless receiving carrier is OW.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
Codeshare does not matter. What matters is it is on the same ticket and there is a baggage interline agreement (having ticketing interline agreement is not same as having a baggage interline agreement; majority of the time both exist.)

Different tickets within same PNR is not checked-thru unless receiving carrier is OW.
You are correct. I should have checked the AA memo instead of relying on my memory before I posted.

Through Checked Baggage Policy – Separate Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How does the through-check baggage policy affect customers?

For customers holding a single ticket that involves other airline flights down-line from American, American will continue to through-check their bags to the next point of stopover. For customers holding a separate ticket for down-line connecting flights booked in the same PNR, American will continue to through-check bags exclusively to oneworld airlines to the point of stopover and collect the other airlines’ applicable baggage charges. Customers combining an AAdvantage® award ticket with an agency ticket should contact the AAdvantage department for further detail.

2. What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through-check customers or bags even if the tickets are in the same PNR. The customer will need to collect their baggage at the final destination on the American 001 ticket. The customer is responsible for the baggage fees associated on the second ticket when the baggage is re-checked with the non-oneworld airline. This may involve exiting the secure area to claim and re-check the baggage. International flights may require clearing customs and rechecking on the other airline to the final destination.

3. Will American through-check baggage when separate tickets containing “connecting” flights to an airline that American does not have an interline agreement with?

No - the customer is responsible for the baggage fees associated on the second ticket when the baggage is re-checked with other airline. This may involve exiting the secure area to claim and re-check the baggage. International flights may require clearing customs and rechecking on the other airline to the final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.