Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Marketed LY Codeshares to TLV from LHR, CDG, ZRH, BCN

Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold, Hilton Gold

Hi all -

Having problems finding an up to date answer to this question. I have a July itinerary booked JFK-LHR-TLV that I booked through AA.com. (Other options for me went through CDG, MAD, ZRH, and BCN.)

AA.com markets the TLV flights as AA codeshares, AA8372 and AA8371 (which correspond to LY316 and LY315).

Few questions -

(A) Will baggage be checked straight through? Or should I plan on getting my baggage in London at T3, and then hauling over to T4?

(B) At checkout, AA.com said I'd get EQMs and EQDs for the whole trip, including the LY leg, which surprised me, given that the forum talks about the discontinuation of codesharing with them. Can anyone confirm that they've recently been credited for these type flights?

(C) If B holds true, and I will be awarded EQM/EQD, I know that when I retrieved the LY PNR from AA so I could select seats on elal.com, I had to pull my AAdvantage number - because their site wants an LY Matmid number and doesn't accept other carriers' info. Does any tricks to getting this back in online that I should know before I go through a cycle of HUACAs to El Al customer service?

And finally, any other general recommendations about this set of flights you'd like to share are most welcome.

Thanks all...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by wayfarer613

(A) Will baggage be checked straight through? Or should I plan on getting my baggage in London at T3, and then hauling over to T4?
No, AA will not currently check bags through to non-oneworld carriers, even if on the same ticket. This may change again soon.

Originally Posted by wayfarer613

(B) At checkout, AA.com said I'd get EQMs and EQDs for the whole trip, including the LY leg, which surprised me, given that the forum talks about the discontinuation of codesharing with them. Can anyone confirm that they've recently been credited for these type flights?
Codeshares always credit as if they were AA flights, so you will get credit.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
No, AA will not currently check bags through to non-oneworld carriers, even if on the same ticket. This may change again soon.
Wait, what? AA won't check bags through on the same ticket? Source? I have trouble believing that.

I know that AA will not through-check bags on separate tickets on one PNR, so OP would have to verify that it's one ticket all the way through.

I do have trouble believing that AA won't through-check bags on one PNR when there are separate tickets within that PNR even though I know it to be true, so maybe my imagination is limited and I'm wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
It's right there in the PDF: https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf

AA-OA, bags will only be checked on AA. Codeshares don't matter for checked bags.

Last edited by ORD-DCA Flyer; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
It's right there in the PDF: https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf

AA-OA, bags will only be checked on AA. Codeshares don't matter for Chechen bags.
That document pertains to separate tickets.

I'm not convinced of your assertion.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bse118
That document pertains to separate tickets.

I'm not convinced of your assertion.
The separate AA and AA by LY sectors very likely have separate ticket numbers, even if they are on the same PNR. AA might through check, but that's not their stated policy.

What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in the same PNR.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The separate AA and AA by LY sectors very likely have separate ticket numbers, even if they are on the same PNR. AA might through check, but that's not their stated policy.
I'd be very surprised if an AA-marketed codeshare flight purchased through AA was on a separate ticket.

I assume that language is more appropriate for travel-agent issued tickets.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
what makes you think an AA-coded, AA to LY connection sold by aa.com would necessarily be multiple tickets?

I've purchased and flown such flights, and it was a single ticket on 001 stock.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in the same PNR.
What? AA wouldnt/couldn't sell an AA codeshare on LY as a standalone ticket. This would by its very nature be one ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What? AA wouldnt/couldn't sell an AA codeshare on LY as a standalone ticket. This would by its very nature be one ticket.
I can confirm that AA.com and Elal.com show the same Ticket/Document number.
It's a single ticket, starting with 001, and it's AA's. While the reservation is retrieved in LY's system under a different PNR since it's a different carrier, it shows all the legs, and any changes get reflected on the AA PNR. They're clearly linked. (For instance, when I assigned the seats using elal.com, I was able to see those seats on AA.com).

Would be curious to hear the experience of someone that's travelled on one of these codeshares recently... Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
AA has an interline baggage agreement with LY. As long as the flights are on the same ticket, AA will check the bags through.

I just did an AA-EY itinerary on one ticket (EY segment was AA marketed, EY metal). EY is not a OW carrier, and AA checked the bag through without problems. This is the same situation.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, WN
AA Platinum Benefits on LY metal

Hi, has anyone who booked on AA and flown on LY metal to and/or from TLV been able to use any AA Platinum benefits, such as Business Class check in or free seat assignment? TIA
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:37 am

I bought a ticket dca-clt-cdg-tlv this summer. Roubdtrip. Bought it on AA.com. My bags checked through all the way to TLV. It was the same ticket number all the way through- started with the 001. If AA is selling you the ticket, the ticket number will be the same, and theyre not going to sell a ticket that excludes baggage check in.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jasondc
I bought a ticket dca-clt-cdg-tlv this summer. Roubdtrip. Bought it on AA.com. My bags checked through all the way to TLV. It was the same ticket number all the way through- started with the 001. If AA is selling you the ticket, the ticket number will be the same, and they’re not going to sell a ticket that excludes baggage check in.
It is likely several ticket numbers on one PNR. I’ve never seen a round trip on the same ticket number, only separate if adjacent numbers. Multiple segments, yes. On different airlines usually different ticket numbers. And AA will indeed sell you a ticket that excludes through checking of baggage. They will generally check baggage through if it’s a codeshare with an airline they have an interline agreement with, another oneworld airline, etc. if they’re on the same PNR, but when it comes to other airlines they tend to follow their hardline policy. You were ticketed by AA on AA and LY, possibly on the AA codeshare - they’re supposed to through check baggage in that circumstance.

Originally Posted by Jay Lepselter
Hi, has anyone who booked on AA and flown on LY metal to and/or from TLV been able to use any AA Platinum benefits, such as Business Class check in or free seat assignment? TIA
Welcome to FlyerTalk. You won’t be able to use those on LY operated flights, as they’re not a oneworld member. You of course would be able to use those on AA connecting to LY.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 1, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.