Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nightmare on AA Feb 03, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time I think about checking a bag with a "oh it will only add another 20 minutes to the end of the trip waiting at baggage claim," I read a story like this and am reminded why I never check bags.

The last time I did, I was moving across the country and knew I'd be at the destination more than a few days if the bags were late. Most of my trips are short and/or involve a lot of moving around, and having to try catch delayed bags up with me sounds like a total nightmare.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Every time I think about checking a bag with a "oh it will only add another 20 minutes to the end of the trip waiting at baggage claim," I read a story like this and am reminded why I never check bags.
Well AA has by far the worst record on mishandled bags although it’s still less than a 1% chance. For sure I’m more likely to “voluntarily” check a bag on my way home and let the airline provide door to door service if they screw something up (like AA did for me…). At least I knew on the app my bag didn’t make my connecting flight (despite plenty of time) so no need to stick around the carousel.
Pancakes744 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:14 pm

Despite multiple descriptions of what it means to be a trip in vain, This doesn't sound like it was one. A trip filled with inconveniences that trip insurance ought to cover, yes.
USFlyerUS, wrp96 and Pancakes744 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
US Airways was always really good about this. I had a few times where I flew first leg of a one day trip into like CLT or PIT and connection canceled, and they could not get me into my destination until the airplane I was scheduled to return on. Flew me home and gave me the option of full refund or give me mileage credit for the full trip. Admittedly some of these were pure segment runs so I was happy to turn around from CLT and be home an hour later and get my 6 segments I should have flown.
Agreed - I miss the old US Airways (pre merger with HP).
mastertrust, sushanna1 and catawba like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I wish you had posted a day earlier as I would have been able to post the specific reason of your DFW-JAX delay but EF only goes back to February 4th.
How do you find this info on EF? I'm looking for AA 1456 from DFW - SLC on 02/05 - EF (premium sub) Flight Status says cancelled without any details. Do you look at some other place than Flight Status? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
On February 3rd, yes the delay was actually weather. That doesn't excuse rudeness. If you write in to complain, focus on the rudeness instead of the cancelled flight.
The quoted post understates the extent of weather issues at DFW. Afternoon February 3 to February 5 DFW area had a significant icing event and both airports turned into a weather mass cancellation festival. (it was fully forecast and unfolded in real time on Flyer Talk). The runways were closed from sometime on the 3rd to around noon on the 4th

We had family members trying to fly on the 3rd too. They were cancelled. Very few flights flew the 4th and 5th to anywhere. If the OP got on one that did and was close to where you wanted to arrive; well, much as it sucked you still won the rebook lottery.
SEA777GUY, wrp96, JackE and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 11, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EXP100
You could write a concise letter. At best you'd get some kind of modest voucher for future travel. Most likely miles thrown at you.
In the before times, after AA got gate-to-gate wi-fi, I would listen to ATC through LIveATC. I was at PHX when that rental car was left at Terminal 4 and the terminal was closed. Stuck there until 9pm for a flight to STL.After 4 separate crew timeouts, we finally got on the plane, taxied to the runway, then pilot told ATC they needed to return to the gate due to "Crew TImeout". The FA came across the PA and said that they are cancelling the flight due to weather. Same thing was repeated by the gate agents.

I wrote a concise letter to AA about my frustrations and the fact that I had to pay for a hotel room out of pocket, and got this response:

Thank you for writing back. I'm sorry to learn that you're still upset with us. That's certainly not how we want our customers to feel.

Mr. seigex, there were several delay issues that occurred during your trip. The pilot provided accurate information regarding the delay. As you know Air Traffic Control and airport security handled a security breach. This breach caused the flight crew to time out. Our pilots follow instructions from Air Traffic Control on when and where they can taxi while on the runway. I apologize for the frustrations you experienced.

Please be assured we do not mislead, and all your concerns about this situation have been taken very seriously. We're truly dedicated to making certain that our customers have a pleasant experience when flying with us. We're also always looking for ways to improve and your constructive criticism gives us that opportunity.

While I know that you didn't have the best experience with us recently, I'd like to encourage you to give us another try. The next time you travel with us, I'm confident things will go much more smoothly.
Nothing else offered (5 year EXP). I have never had good luck getting anything from AA cluster relations.
Pancakes744 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seigex
In the before times, after AA got gate-to-gate wi-fi, I would listen to ATC through LIveATC. I was at PHX when that rental car was left at Terminal 4 and the terminal was closed. Stuck there until 9pm for a flight to STL.After 4 separate crew timeouts, we finally got on the plane, taxied to the runway, then pilot told ATC they needed to return to the gate due to "Crew TImeout". The FA came across the PA and said that they are cancelling the flight due to weather. Same thing was repeated by the gate agents.

I wrote a concise letter to AA about my frustrations and the fact that I had to pay for a hotel room out of pocket, and got this response:

Nothing else offered (5 year EXP). I have never had good luck getting anything from AA cluster relations.
Whether it was weather or something else, it doesn’t sound like AA created the problem.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Whether it was weather or something else, it doesn’t sound like AA created the problem.
They didn't create the original problem, but they lied about it, and used weather instead of crew timeout to keep from having to pay for hotel rooms or putting me on another airline (this is 12 hours after the issue was resolved at PHX). I had flown in from ONT right as the issue was happening at around 7am was stuck at PHX overnight.
Pancakes744 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Thank you for the helpful responses. So far the only response I've received from AA via Twitter DM is basically sorry about my bad luck. I completely understand that the weather caused a giant cluster on the 3-4 but that does not excuse the constant misinformation or the 5 day baggage delay. We are going to file delay costs (including a one way car rental fee..ouch) with both Allianz and AA and hope that we are at the very least reimbursed for the additional expenses.
We are moving to GA next year and unfortunately AA seems to dominate the routes that we'll be on. Maybe we'll try Delta next time but honestly I think most of the large US based carriers are awful.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pancakes744
Thank you for the helpful responses. So far the only response I've received from AA via Twitter DM is basically sorry about my bad luck. I completely understand that the weather caused a giant cluster on the 3-4 but that does not excuse the constant misinformation or the 5 day baggage delay. We are going to file delay costs (including a one way car rental fee..ouch) with both Allianz and AA and hope that we are at the very least reimbursed for the additional expenses.
We are moving to GA next year and unfortunately AA seems to dominate the routes that we'll be on. Maybe we'll try Delta next time but honestly I think most of the large US based carriers are awful.
Read your Allianz policy on where to file. You shouldn’t file the same claim twice. I suspect you’ll be better off filing with them rather than AA, where you are likely to be told to pound sand.
Pancakes744 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Our Allianz policy caps lost baggage at $200 and $300 on travel delays. We're out at least $1000 in additional lodging, Ubers, hefty one way car rental fees, and of course the glamorous WalMart clothes. I saw a box to check on the claim forms to notify that you are filing with more than one entity; is this not allowable (or advisable)?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:09 pm
Suspended

That’s fine, as long as you don’t claim for the same thing twice. Good luck!
Pancakes744 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fastflyer
What amazes me about these travel horror stories is how much damage mitigation would be possible if the airline staff were apologetic and helpful (even if the help is limited to 'come back tomorrow'). Instead, angry or rude staff tend to extenuate the negative circumstances. All airlines have this same problem, and it is worst during catastrophic ir-ops. A real catastrophe (earthquake/ war/ fire) by contrast, tends to bring out the best in people including airline folks.

Just an observation.
Not justifying what the employees did or said, But as bad as it is for us multiply it by 1`000s for them. Im sure every passenger wants the same that their flight operate as it should and the bags get there as well. I know if it was that was working I wouldnt beable to handle hearing the same things over and over and over and with plenty of folks demanding things which is out of responsibility to handle or help with

the worse part is its gonna get worse before it gets any better

Could be teh answer is just as teh airlines have reserve crews at their nubs, maybe they need a reserve list also for CS folks when they know everything is gonna hit the fan, and the 1st step is To STOP blaming Weather for everything when its not the vase or they dont know
Pancakes744 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.