Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA working hard to not get customers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
But AA's primary legacy competitors (DL and UA) both offer an undeniably better experience in Y, while AA is still stuck in 2020 COVID cutback mode.

-FlyerBeek
I admit I really don’t have the requisite recent experience to comment specifically on Y across different airlines.

And to be fair, most FT threads/discussion have focused on F/J service cutbacks during this time. Are people here really picking their airline elite programs based on the Y experience?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by metallo
I admit I really don’t have the requisite recent experience to comment specifically on Y across different airlines.

And to be fair, most FT threads/discussion have focused on F/J service cutbacks during this time. Are people here really picking their airline elite programs based on the Y experience?
Yes
metallo likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I fly from LAX as well so AA has been good for me. First class and business class fares on transcontinental routes have been affordable, flagship dining in LAX/Miami everytime I land and takeoff, 70% of my flights are on the heavies, and superior partners when using miles. Haven’t seen any cut backs up front yet but I guess we will see
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
I fly from LAX as well so AA has been good for me. First class and business class fares on transcontinental routes have been affordable, flagship dining in LAX/Miami everytime I land and takeoff, 70% of my flights are on the heavies, and superior partners when using miles. Haven’t seen any cut backs up front yet but I guess we will see
Flagship First Dining isn't even open in LAX. Haven't seen any cutbacks up front, really?

-FlyerBeek
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by mshukayr
I am switching to BA. Silver is OW Sapphire. Gets me the MCE seats on booking. No upgrades, but do not get those anyway as AA Plat
It also gets you lounge access too. Even on purely US domestics, even if traveling in Y.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:13 pm

Fly WN and B6 a lot in Y too. I don't see much differentiation between carriers. You get a snack and a drink on all flights. If you fly Y, the frequent flyer program/lounges offer minimal impact. I enjoy the free and fast wifi on B6, but AA has a much more extensive network.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Flagship First Dining isn't even open in LAX. Haven't seen any cutbacks up front, really?

-FlyerBeek

Sounds like somebody hasn't flown much recently. JFK and MIA are the only FFD open right now.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-PL, Hilton-Diamond, Marriot-Gold, IHG-Plat
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
It also gets you lounge access too. Even on purely US domestics, even if traveling in Y.
Yeppers. That is another reason to switch. I let my admirals club membership go last year.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I've never done an intra-alliance program switch before or had status on two partners at the same time. How does this work? You get AA lounge access domestically when flying AA and crediting to BA, or can you fly AA and credit to AA as long as you already have BA status? Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by js1993
I've never done an intra-alliance program switch before or had status on two partners at the same time. How does this work? You get AA lounge access domestically when flying AA and crediting to BA, or can you fly AA and credit to AA as long as you already have BA status? Thanks.
Fly AA. Credit to BA. You earn BA Tier Points instead of AA Loyalty Points (ugh). Once you earn enough Tier Points in the British Airways Executive Club (and fly 2 segments on BA metal, not codeshare) you'll earn Silver on BA which equals earning Oneworld Sapphire OUTSIDE the AA program.

With that BA status, you get access to Oneworld Business Class lounges, even when flying domestic, when you have a boarding pass for any upcoming Oneworld flight. That lounge access includes AA Flagship Lounges.

Live well.....fly well.......goodbye Loyalty Points hamster wheel.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by jcatman
Fly AA. Credit to BA. You earn BA Tier Points instead of AA Loyalty Points (ugh). Once you earn enough Tier Points in the British Airways Executive Club (and fly 2 segments on BA metal, not codeshare) you'll earn Silver on BA which equals earning Oneworld Sapphire OUTSIDE the AA program.

With that BA status, you get access to Oneworld Business Class lounges, even when flying domestic, when you have a boarding pass for any upcoming Oneworld flight. That lounge access includes AA Flagship Lounges.

Live well.....fly well.......goodbye Loyalty Points hamster wheel.
Thanks for the explanation. Once one has BA status, it doesn't matter where any particular flight is credited? All that's needed is the BA elite card plus a Oneworld b.p.? Thanks again.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
You have not noticed any cut backs in service, food and amenities in premium cabins on AA?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:15 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Once one has BA status, it doesn't matter where any particular flight is credited? All that's needed is the BA elite card plus a Oneworld b.p.? Thanks again.
Correct.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Correct. Once you've achieved OW Sapphire/Emerald status on another OW airline like BA, you can still fly AA with your AAdvantage number in the reservation to start crediting to AA again (if you wish). You won't be able to just scan your boarding pass to get access, but you can present your BA elite card (physical or electronic) to the lounge agent, and you'll get FL access.

I was never denied or even really questioned when I accessed the FLs that way on domestic itineraries when I was EP with AA. Of course, in addition to FL access with this method, you'll also get Admirals Club access in locations where there is no FL.

As an aside, to compare this to another alliance, UA sort of does this with *A also. I recently matched my AA CK status to AC SE100K status, which is *A Gold, and I can get access to UA lounges domestically now (but not UA Polaris lounges, which have much stricter entry criteria than AA Flagship Lounges).
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
This isn't quite accurate ... to get OneWorld Sapphire you need 450 Tier Points (this year) and 4 BA marketed or operated flights (not two, and not only BA metal - codeshares with OneWorld partners count too).

For example, DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO return will earn 640 Tier Points in business class (40+140+140 *2) and costs around £1200 at the moment (through most of this year). That gets you Sapphire in one single trip. Two trips would get you to Emerald (1150 points needed this year, 1500 normally).
js1993 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.