Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Business Plus???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA, Bonvoy, Delta, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm afraid don't see this as a good move from a frequent flyer perspective. The prices shown in the OP are deepest discount. I'm sure we'll see much higher fares just as soon as demand returns - pricing on the t-cons is as low as I've ever seen right now, with cheapest J fares at $539 OW and Systemwides to J and F abundantly available. I'm sure AA hopes to return to $1800 for J and $2500 for F (or "Business Premier") one-way just as soon as they can.

It will further degrade value of SWU for me, and I am definitely concerned about the potential/likely loss of FFD on the t-cons, which remains one of the very few aspirational experiences in domestic US flying.
In addition - once business travel picks up, they will have to address their corporate contracts that chose AA because of their distinct F product for these transcon routes that were willing to pay the full F fare.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
My opinion....We can expect them to start quietly removing the F seats and converting to J/MCE/Y. This move is most assuredly to compete with the others with a "premium" business class (direct aisle access, more privacy) while they contemplate how to retrofit the fleet. The premium, full fare paying F customers may not be back for quite some time. The old saying of Doug and company in the early days of the HP-US merger....jump over a quarter to save a dime....
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Interesting development. If permanent, then, yes, I think it addresses the current lack of F sales (and weak soft product differentiation), as well as a recognition that competitors (including partner B6) are increasingly focusing on all aisle-access for premium transcon routes (particularly NYC-LAX).

I suppose it could be temporary, but I don't see F surviving if AA commits to all aisle seating (which seems likely)

I suspect FFD will be out, but given the "plus" seats do not appear to be available for instrument upgrades, it's possible the F seating may be made availabile to certain elites on a complimentary basis while they survive...

ETA: I was not able to replicate this as of 9pm EST. Flagship First still for sale both on aa.com and in Sabre for both near and far dates. So, either an error or a premature change that's been addressed.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 19, 2022 at 7:12 pm
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:10 pm

I was seeing this an hour or two ago but just looked again and it seems to have disappeared, as least on my end. Fwiw if this is true I think it’s the beginning of a long term effort to remove F. Kinda sad but I guess we’ll have to see what actually happens. I don’t think they’ll actually go through and retrofit the 321T’s and 77W’s to physically remove the F seats but I think they’ll just get retired over the next 5-10 years and that’ll be the end of F. But again, I guess we’ll see what happens.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
My opinion....We can expect them to start quietly removing the F seats and converting to J/MCE/Y. This move is most assuredly to compete with the others with a "premium" business class (direct aisle access, more privacy) while they contemplate how to retrofit the fleet. The premium, full fare paying F customers may not be back for quite some time. The old saying of Doug and company in the early days of the HP-US merger....jump over a quarter to save a dime....
This would be a knee-jerk reaction, something I'm sure AA would consider. But if you think back to pre-pandemic times, on these specific transcon route, I think AA was seen as a leader for premium travelers specifically JFK-LAX. When (not if) that demand returns, AA will just be struggling to compete instead of leading. I know plenty of UA & DL loyalists that would fly AA F transcon, but I wouldn't be confident of that if they take that away. shame on so many levels.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mhbnyc
AA will just be struggling to compete instead of leading.
The issue is that the business product is no longer competitive. Updating that offering may be the death of F.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know plenty of UA & DL loyalists that would fly AA F transcon, but I wouldn't be confident of that if they take that away. shame on so many levels.
Right now AA IMO has the best product for the t-cons, but if UA leaves the Polaris equipped aircraft on these routes, that's advantage UA on the J seat. DL lags but loyalists will continue to fly them regardless how much their product sucks.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: EXPLT
And there it is..back to $2183 one way..at least JFK-SFO
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by b74l
And there it is..back to $2183 one way..at least JFK-SFO
Strange. I feel like we saw something that we weren't supposed to and it was a big IT mistake. It's all reverted back for me too.

However I was able to put a JFK-LAX on hold for later this year at the Business Plus (F-discounted) price. I wonder if I end up purchasing it, they'll still honor that price??
JALOO5-Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:25 pm

Strange. I feel like we saw something that we weren't supposed to and it was a big IT mistake. It's all reverted back for me too.

However I was able to put a JFK-LAX on hold for later this year at the Business Plus (F-discounted) price. I wonder if I end up purchasing it, they'll still honor that price??
The JFK-SNA Premier Plus was a $1000 when I checked today. If JFK-LAX was close to that, I would think AA would be happy for the cash. I have been able recently to get FF for JFK-SNA for an upgrade of around $483 beyond my $175 Y base ticket. Granted it was this January when Covid has wiped out demand on the flight so F and J were reasonably priced.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Well that was wild. Proper F (and its prices) has returned to aa.com. Seems like we saw a preview of something coming for sure!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Well that was wild. Proper F (and its prices) has returned to aa.com. Seems like we saw a preview of something coming for sure!
Either that or they did an A/B test and are reading this thread and seeing the offering selection results.

That said, I'm pretty sure that AA isn't quite that capable.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Or, they wanted people to see so they could gauge interest. They could be watching this thread...right...now.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:44 pm

Would be interesting to see if you can still ticket this. If you can ticket the itinerary and the fare is booked into a first class booking code (F,A) I'd be confident you can keep the seat. If it's booked in J, D, R, I, or C, it's more likely your seat assignment will be at risk and you may have to work through getting a refund for the additional fare you paid based on the promise of the "plus" seat.

I cannot find these "plus" fares filed in the GDS, so I presume this was only a change made in the labeling on aa.com before it was corrected and that the offering online mapped to an existing first class or business class fare.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
LoL, you two said the same exact thing.

I’m thinking not AB testing since it wasn’t out there long enough to glean a ton of real data, plus there wasn’t enough info on what J+ would have been to get a proper assessment of buyers’ decisions.

But clearly something is afoot with three class F.

Just wish I’d picked up some tickets at J+ prices!
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.