Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQD waiver and EQM met. Elite status not showing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I have an EQD waiver and have met the EQM requirement so I am confused as to why my account is not showing as gold. Any ideas?

Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
When did the EQD waiver appear? Before Dec 31st? Likely worth a call to AAdvantage desk.

EQD waiver terms and conditionsThis content can be expandedThe Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) requirement will be waived for the primary cardholder (“you”, “your”) for AAdvantage® Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Pro status for qualification in 2021 for elite status applicable to the year of 2022 if the member spends $30,000 (USD) on purchases on eligible Citi® AAdvantage®, Aviator AAdvantage® credit cards, or AAdvantage® credit cards issued outside the U.S. posted between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. Member must also meet Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) requirement to qualify for status. This offer may not be achievable based on the assigned credit line and ability to maintain that credit line.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: American airlines
Same issue, but for platinum

I have the same exact problem. I have an email dated 12/12/21 saying that I got the EQD waiver.
Nothing changed on those little circle things but figured the EQD waiver would just apply once I hit my EQMs.
I got the required EQMs for plat over a week ago but the waiver does not seem to be applying. I think there must be some sort of glitch with their system.

From chatting with an agent through the app I got the following (sorry can’t post pics so just copied and pasted their relevant answers):
“Thank you for your gold level. These are being worked nightly and updated nightly. We have to wait for the system to upgrade you.”
“I will send off a review to have someone look at this and see why it has not yet been updated.”
”These are being done nightly. We can only do so many at a time or the system will crash. Sending off the follow up is the proper procedure.”

I was literally on a flight while chatting with them and wanted to have it updated before my next string of flights over the next week, but they basically said just be patient and they’ll figure it out at some point.

I achieved the waiver (according to AA) over a month ago! I understand maybe waiting a bit to make sure I didn’t spend 30k then return a bunch of stuff or something, but if that’s the case then that should be communicated instead of the weak response I received.

I am guessing it’ll be a pain to get them to retroactively give me platinum level multipliers instead of gold for all of the flights I’m taking this week and last.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:35 pm

The question is When. You have to give them at least 2 weeks to sort things out.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
The question is When. You have to give them at least 2 weeks to sort things out.
That’s fair (I guess), but in my case at least I got the waiver over a month ago so am hoping that I will get plat credit for my recent trips since I should’ve been plat once my EQMs hit 40k. Fingers crossed it’s not a huge issue getting those retroactively fixed!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:12 pm

**update: got platinum

I kept chatting and calling and eventually got someone to manually force my plat status (based on the waiver) through. It’s weird when I look at my account that it shows I haven’t hit the EQD yet (like no check mark or indication that it’s waived), but just manually I guess swapped to plat.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:59 am
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
How often are spends updates sent from Barclays to AA? I hit the 30K threshold but my billing cycle ends on Feb 2. Hoping...AA gets some sort of spend update through Jan 31.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bethyy
I kept chatting and calling and eventually got someone to manually force my plat status (based on the waiver) through. It’s weird when I look at my account that it shows I haven’t hit the EQD yet (like no check mark or indication that it’s waived), but just manually I guess swapped to plat.
Looks like yours got worked out faster than mine. I did end up calling the AAdvantage support number after posting this thread. Agent told me I should definitely have Gold and put me on hold for about 10 minutes to talk to someone else. Finally came back with saying she submitted a ticket to get it fixed and that it may take a few weeks to get sorted out. I get an email from AA customer relations later that day saying my request in in queue. A week later I get an e-mail from AA customer relations saying we're sorry about the issues you are having to achieve Gold status, but we cannot help with that you need to contact the AAdvantage department for assistance (who I contacted in the first place). So I e-mailed the sort of generic form email response I got back saying AAdvantage support was who I initially contacted. Didn't expect to get a reply, but the next day got a call saying "Yea just ignore that e-mail. We're working on it. That EQD waiver not registering is a known issue. When are you flying again?" I said "Friday" and he was said "Oh hopefully we can get it worked out by then". My trip this weekend will be enough to hit Gold without the waiver, but I was eyeing a trip to India in February that will get me enough EQM for platinum pro and be short on EQD so I really need that waiver to register.

I know Gold isn't worth much, but for the trip I booked yesterday where I leave on Friday I did shell out $30 for a preferred seat so I could get two seats next to each other... Would have been nice to have Gold registered on my account. Wonder if I can get them to refund.

For what it's worth I hit my EQD waiver in May 2021 so it's not an issue with not enough time passing for it to register.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
On the plus side, if you're going to become a Platinum Pro, it will allow you to earn more stickers while you wait for the system to update.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:27 am

(Delete)

Last edited by bethyy; Feb 2, 2022 at 2:16 am
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:29 am

[QUOTE=jdkgdd;33935728]Looks like yours got worked out faster than mine. I did end up calling the AAdvantage support number after posting this thread. Agent told me I should definitely have Gold and put me on hold for about 10 minutes to talk to someone else. Finally came back with saying she submitted a ticket to get it fixed and that it may take a few weeks to get sorted out. I get an email from AA customer relations later that day saying my request in in queue. A week later I get an e-mail from AA customer relations saying we're sorry about the issues you are having to achieve Gold status, but we cannot help with that you need to contact the AAdvantage department for assistance (who I contacted in the first place). So I e-mailed the sort of generic form email response I got back saying AAdvantage support was who I initially contacted. Didn't expect to get a reply, but the next day got a call saying "Yea just ignore that e-mail. We're working on it. That EQD waiver not registering is a known issue. When are you flying again?" I said "Friday" and he was said "Oh hopefully we can get it worked out by then". My trip this weekend will be enough to hit Gold without the waiver, but I was eyeing a trip to India in February that will get me enough EQM for platinum pro and be short on EQD so I really need that waiver to register.

I know Gold isn't worth much, but for the trip I booked yesterday where I leave on Friday I did shell out $30 for a preferred seat so I could get two seats next to each other... Would have been nice to have Gold registered on my account. Wonder if I can get them to refund.

For what it's worth I hit my EQD waiver in May 2021 so it's not an issue with not enough time passing for it to register.[/QUOTE

did you get notification or anything showing you hit the EQD waiver?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bethyy
Originally Posted by jdkgdd
Looks like yours got worked out faster than mine. I did end up calling the AAdvantage support number after posting this thread. Agent told me I should definitely have Gold and put me on hold for about 10 minutes to talk to someone else. Finally came back with saying she submitted a ticket to get it fixed and that it may take a few weeks to get sorted out. I get an email from AA customer relations later that day saying my request in in queue. A week later I get an e-mail from AA customer relations saying we're sorry about the issues you are having to achieve Gold status, but we cannot help with that you need to contact the AAdvantage department for assistance (who I contacted in the first place). So I e-mailed the sort of generic form email response I got back saying AAdvantage support was who I initially contacted. Didn't expect to get a reply, but the next day got a call saying "Yea just ignore that e-mail. We're working on it. That EQD waiver not registering is a known issue. When are you flying again?" I said "Friday" and he was said "Oh hopefully we can get it worked out by then". My trip this weekend will be enough to hit Gold without the waiver, but I was eyeing a trip to India in February that will get me enough EQM for platinum pro and be short on EQD so I really need that waiver to register.

For what it's worth I hit my EQD waiver in May 2021 so it's not an issue with not enough time passing for it to register.
did you get notification or anything showing you hit the EQD waiver?
Yes got an email about it last May and there is even a section of the AAdvantage site where it showed it was met which is the screenshot I posted. It just was never registering on the EQD/EQM tracker page and wasn't automatically switching my status.

I did get them to force Gold status yesterday by using the chat feature after I explained I was flying this Friday.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Did you have status before? The EQD waiver is to only retain your existing status. Not for new status or upgrade to next level.

Also the EQD waiver was originally meant to be applicable till Dec 31st. The changes where we can now double dip for 2022 and 2023 status in Jan/Feb '22 probably was not updated in the system related to EQD. So if you achieved your EQMs in 2022, maybe the EQD waiver is not being applied and you might have to call in to get that reviewed.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by srikp
Did you have status before? The EQD waiver is to only retain your existing status. Not for new status or upgrade to next level.
The $30k spend waives EQD for anyone (i.e., even if you didn't have status before). They later started a $15k spend offer for existing elites to maintain status. This website breaks it down under the third heading: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
The $30k spend waives EQD for anyone (i.e., even if you didn't have status before). They later started a $15k spend offer for existing elites to maintain status. This website breaks it down under the third heading: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
You are right. I stand corrected. But does the EQD waiver apply if you reach the EQM target after Jan 1st 2022? I am assuming it does but very likely the systems were not updated to reflect this. Hence needs manual review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.