Search

First Responder =NoRefund/No Extension

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:48 am

Sounds like there are more lawyers on Flyertalk than First Responders
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
"The refund and extension depends on the terms of purchase."

And on how the agent who takes your call happens to be feeling at the time. Keep trying different numbers and different agents.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I find this kind of thing to be a little pretentious - I really don't mean offense, OP, but it's been nearly two years since the onset of the pandemic and no one would begrudge you taking a week or so for a vacation. Nor were you "ordered" with any sort of teeth or ability to enforce to stay at your hospital; using this sort of language really destroys any credibility you bring with you to the conversation with your credentials. Did you leave for lunch? Dinner? Have you worked 18 hour days 7 days a week since March 2020?

I appreciate all that healthcare workers have done throughout this period and I think many accommodations have rightly and appropriately been made to pay tribute to your sacrifices and to honor your contributions. It is unclear to me why asking you to fly a ticket within a year of purchase is really an unusual obligation, particularly for someone who apparently flew enough to gain CK and EP.

I promise I'm not trying to be antagonistic with this reply; I'm only trying to point out that pulling a "first responder" card after two years is bound to begin rubbing some folks the wrong way, including those at AA whose support you would need to extend the validity of your ticket or obtain a refund.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
"pulling a "first responder" card"...Is a title we inherit when we put on the white coat....and I do take offense....
Ethically we have a responsibility....may you never have to deal with this disease.
arf04, exmike and HomerJay like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by jghassell
I find this kind of thing to be a little pretentious - I really don't mean offense, OP, but it's been nearly two years since the onset of the pandemic and no one would begrudge you taking a week or so for a vacation. Nor were you "ordered" with any sort of teeth or ability to enforce to stay at your hospital; using this sort of language really destroys any credibility you bring with you to the conversation with your credentials. Did you leave for lunch? Dinner? Have you worked 18 hour days 7 days a week since March 2020?

I appreciate all that healthcare workers have done throughout this period and I think many accommodations have rightly and appropriately been made to pay tribute to your sacrifices and to honor your contributions. It is unclear to me why asking you to fly a ticket within a year of purchase is really an unusual obligation, particularly for someone who apparently flew enough to gain CK and EP.

I promise I'm not trying to be antagonistic with this reply; I'm only trying to point out that pulling a "first responder" card after two years is bound to begin rubbing some folks the wrong way, including those at AA whose support you would need to extend the validity of your ticket or obtain a refund.
I find it is pretentious of you, and you are being offensive.
What's the longest stretch you ever worked 18 hour days? For other people's benefit? How many lives have you saved in your career?
In what way do you appreciate healthcare workers? It sure feels like you don't.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jghassell

Being a " first responder " has even greater admiration from me more so every day. Thank you for all you do OP ( and wife) ...... without you additional lives lost and tragic heartbreaking stories would be greater.
arf04 and truncated like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I find it is pretentious of you, and you are being offensive.
What's the longest stretch you ever worked 18 hour days? For other people's benefit? How many lives have you saved in your career?
In what way do you appreciate healthcare workers? It sure feels like you don't.
I wasn't going to post in this thread because I have respect for all HealthCare Workers, but enough is enough. You are an ER Doctor and married to a Surgical Nurse. That doesn't meet the definition of a First Responder. I know this because my wife is a Paramedic, someone who is "first on scene" with limited resources along with Firefighters and Law Enforcement (the real first responders). These people work in horrific conditions on oftentimes critical patients where life and death is counted in seconds and minutes as they rush to get them to our HealthCare Heroes who work in sterilized hospitals with such luxurious things as heat and air conditioning.

And claiming that an 18 hour shift is awful when you should know that most firefighters and paramedics work 24 hour shifts or longer as their "regular shift". As a matter of fact, my wife worked for 5 days straight (120 hours) during Hurricane Florence.

I am sure you wouldn't try to claim the title of "First Responder" to any of the real ones, only on an elite status board where the average business person wouldn't know the difference.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Donk93953
"pulling a "first responder" card"...Is a title we inherit when we put on the white coat....and I do take offense....
Ethically we have a responsibility....may you never have to deal with this disease.
In fairness, you claimed you had been ordered not to leave your city, but that apparently expired long ago, if it was ever in force to begin with.

You also bought the ticket well into the pandemic ("early 2021"), so the pandemic excuse is a little odd. (I still hope you get the extension.)
LondonElite likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I feel for the OP! Although I've had no issue getting flights canceled & refunded due to the rona, I have heard of others not so lucky.

Twice I've received refunds to my CC, the rest were as credits. I've not had an issue getting the expiration dates on those credits extended, either.

As an aside, I, too feel the "First Responder" is being a bit overused here... I'd suggest "Front Line Medical" as a less aggrandizing term perhaps.

All the best, James
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm calling BS on a governor banning people from leaving a state (in the US) for two solid years. There were lots of opportunities to use the tickets, and I commend AA for giving as much extension/leniency as they already have.

I have several family members who are doctors, including a couple who worked ER during part of their career. While scheduling vacations and holidays was definitely more challenging than in other parts of the healthcare industry, they were able to do so. It wasn't "unethical" to take a vacation with a reasonable amount of planning.

Props to AA for issuing one refund out of two. They were not obligated to do that. I wish you luck in getting the 2nd one. Might as well try...
LondonElite and bchandler02 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by EncFlyer
I am sure you wouldn't try to claim the title of "First Responder" to any of the real ones, only on an elite status board where the average business person wouldn't know the difference.
Wait, are you referring to the American Airlines that claims that flying to the Caribbean is not international?
If this is an elite status board why would nobody have wondered why someone would be happy with a "discounted special fare!" $4k business class ticket to EDI?

I guess this elite status board's lawyers weren't up this morning, or they would have pointed out that "first responder" is however the airline defines it.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm calling BS on a governor banning people from leaving a state (in the US) for two solid years. There were lots of opportunities to use the tickets, and I commend AA for giving as much extension/leniency as they already have.

Props to AA for issuing one refund out of two. They were not obligated to do that. I wish you luck in getting the 2nd one. Might as well try...
I also understand that the government was not required to bailout AA. Or do you have extra information showing that contract whereby the federal government is required to give AA, a publicly traded corporation on the Nasdaq, taxpayer money?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Probably beyond a CC charge-back time limit, contacting the CC issuer might "work".
Do you/your wife have any "travel insurance" (directly or through your employer)?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Sounds like there are more lawyers on Flyertalk than First Responders
I don't think there are many actual lawyers on FT. Otherwise they would understand the concept of fiduciary.
There are many fake lawyers on FT, people who are very similar to lawyers in the sense they have no idea what "ethical" means.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Wow....Are AA FT members as heartless as this thread implies. Give the OP a break.... he already said he works in a small community and feels the need to stay the course and not vacation. I can't answer for AA but I certainly would show a bit more respect to the DRs and nurses who are working their butts off to save your lives.
arf04 and truncated like this.

Last edited by david55; Jan 13, 2022 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.