Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to LGA Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
LGA-BWI is only a few flights a day. You could save a little time flying LGA-DCA or a lot JFK-DCA. Whatever airfare WN might be saving you LGA-BWI will be eaten up x2 by Ubers on both sides. I used to live in McLean/Tyson's and the ride to/from BWI was brutal.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nas6034
southwest
This is all sounding very messy then.

Fly (I assume) AA or a flight with an AA code on it to JFK.
Collect bags and clear customs
Transit from JFK to LGA (not easy feat)
Check in and fly WN from LGA to BWI
Collect bags
Go from BWI to McLean (again not a quick endeavor)

Do I have this right?

I would -not- do this. You're looking at numerous cab rides, transfers, shuttles, buses, trains, etc.

Unless there is a -huge- monetary savings in doing so, I would rather fly to JFK and then fly JFK to BWI/IAD/DCA on United or American or if you insist on using LGA, flying LGA-IAD or LGA-DCA. BWI is 50+ miles away from McLean and not an easy drive - 50 minutes at midnight and $80+ in Uber fare.
ijgordon, wetrat0 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prh
Perhaps I missed this somewhere in the string, but is there a reason youre flying into JFK? There are a plethora of flights into Dulles from Europe every day and then youd be about 15-20 minutes away from McLean.
I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe award flights?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
50+ miles is only $80+ Uber fare? At midnight? Are you sure? Probably double that or more...

My recent Hyatt Regency JFK to LGA Uber was $36, and that was 8 miles at 11am.
wetrat0 likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 11, 2022 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry had my wires crossed.

At the moment the Euro flight arriving in JFK at 18:45.

Then there is a 22:00 from LGA to IAD on American. Or there is a 22:10 from JFK to BWI on American Eagle
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
If you going to attempt this.....I would definitely go with the LGA-IAD option. If you have Global Entry and carry on, I would have no problem with it. Also, while I like the new security setup at LGA it can be long at times even with precheck. On separate tickets, you are the mercy of AA on rebooking plus the hassle. If it was me, I would try to just overnight at JFK, have a nice dinner in the city and take an early flight out the next morning and stay at a downtown hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
If you going to attempt this.....I would definitely go with the LGA-IAD option. If you have Global Entry and carry on, I would have no problem with it. Also, while I like the new security setup at LGA it can be long at times even with precheck. On separate tickets, you are the mercy of AA on rebooking plus the hassle. If it was me, I would try to just overnight at JFK, have a nice dinner in the city and take an early flight out the next morning and stay at a downtown hotel.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Or I COULD get an earlier JFK and the Amtrak down.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Or I COULD get an earlier JFK and the Amtrak down.
The last Amtrak leaves NYP at 8:13 pm. Take that departure time and subtract three hours which ideally what you need to get from planeside at JFK to Penn Station.

Realize also that if you get to Union Station DC, you still have a $45 to $60 uber to get from Union Station to McLean. You -could- take the Metro but depending on where you are going in McLean, it will mean a cab from the Metro station in Tysons Corner or McLean.

If I were doing this -again- fly to JFK. Fly from JFK to IAD or JFK to DCA or transit to LGA and fly from LGA to IAD or DCA.

I've done the plane to JFK, train to Penn Station, and train to DC. But I've done it several times and am used to doing it and know the pitfalls. A first-timer will see this as pretty challenging and pretty time consuming.

Addendum: with a final destination of Nothern Virginia, I only use BWI as an option of last resort. It's just not a pleasant transit. The fare $$$ delta needs to be very, very large for me to even consider BWI.
Neil Scrivener likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 11, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by nk15
50+ miles is only $80+ Uber fare? At midnight? Are you sure? Probably double that or more...

My recent Hyatt Regency JFK to LGA Uber was $36, and that was 8 miles at 11am.
When I priced it out on Uber, it showed about $80. NYC market is very, very different from the Bal'mur market.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dvs7310
$19, WOW, that was definitely pre-pandemic. LOL. Uber and Lyft are outrageous in NYC now. I also remember that a yellow cab from LGA to midtown Manhattan was $20 but those days are sadly long gone. I suspect that the prices skyrocketed as soon as the shuttle services shut down. This was my first time back in NYC since the pandemic
Sunday I paid $42 on Uber from 40th and 8th to LGA
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Sorry had my wires crossed.

At the moment the Euro flight arriving in JFK at 18:45.

Then there is a 22:00 from LGA to IAD on American. Or there is a 22:10 from JFK to BWI on American Eagle
FWIW, the JFK-BWI AA Eagle flight should constitute a legal connection, and therefore should be bookable on one ticket. The "duty of care" provisions of EC 261 (or its UK equivalent if departing from the UK) should then apply, if you were to mis-connect through no fault of your own. The higher Uber cost from BWI would be at least partially offset by not having to pay for ground transportation from JFK to LGA.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by only1percent
3:15 is totally realistic. it's less than 10 miles, with no bridges or tunnels, a nearly infinite set of surface street alternatives if the Van Wyck and Grand Central are tied up, and a terminal very rarely backed up for security and baggage check. Under 15 minutes without traffic, 60 minutes absolute worst case.

By contrast, in a million years I would never accept the stated 4:00 connection time to Newark from JFK (30+ miles by your choice of two of the most congestion prone routes from anywhere to anywhere you can find in the country (including two bridges and/or tunnels), and a baggage check / security set-up which has gone from tragedy to farce. On the few occasions I've done this, I've allowed 5 or more hours - and 4 hours would have missed my flight or at least baggage check-in at least half those times.
Reminds me of years ago I was flying home from LGA on a Friday night about 5:00 pm. Flight was cancelled so the only option was to leave out of EWR. AA gave me a taxi voucher. The driver was so mad he had to go from LGA To EWR. Can't remember how long it took (at least 90 minutes), but in hindsight I should have just spent the night in Manhattan and gone home on Saturday.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
LGA/JFK-EWR should be a flight, normally, it is not meant to be driven...
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The last Amtrak leaves NYP at 8:13 pm.
That's the last Acela departure, not the last Amtrak departure. (There's a later Regional that serves both BWI and WAS; the 8:13 pm Acela does not serve BWI.)
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:13 pm

Duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.