Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to LGA Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:50 pm

Can you skip checking bags, and fit it all into your carryons? That would save a half-hour or more... Of course, depends upon your boarding group!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Airtrain -> E train -> Q70 SBS (bus)

Better option could be Airtrain -> LIRR -> Q70 SBS (bus)
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
To answer your question: as with so many connections, it's enough time if your flight arrives more or less on time.
But did you check to see if there's a flight to DCA or IAD from JFK? I know they exist, but not sure if there are any the day you are flying.
Both DCA and IAD are much more accessible to McLean than BWI. DCA is further away, but usually it's faster to get out.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nas6034
Better option could be Airtrain -> LIRR -> Q70 SBS (bus)
Probably not. Although the LIRR from Jamaica to Woodside is about ten minutes faster than the "E" train from Jamaica Station to Jackson Heights, there are two offsetting factors:

1. On a weekday evening, the headway on the LIRR trains to Woodside between 7:00 and 8:00 pm ranges from 13 to 22 minutes; by contrast, the headway on the "E" to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue subway station ranges from 4 to 6 minutes during the same period. So unless one were to just catch a departing LIRR train, traveling via the LIRR could end up being no faster than the subway to get to the Q70!

2. One would also have a longer ride on the Q70 SBS bus from Woodside to LGA than from Jackson Heights to LGA. The Q70 timetable puts the travel time from Woodside to Jackson Heights as between six and nine minutes, depending on time of departure in the evening.

Of course, this is all moot if the OP's checked bag is too bulky or too heavy to make mass transit a feasible option.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 10, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Once before the pandemic. I landed at LGA and had a 2:30 connection at JFK. It was noon midweek I think my Uber was $19. Its not a terrible connection. Im glad AA has IAH LGA now. Jfk to Europe is doable.
$19, WOW, that was definitely pre-pandemic. LOL. Uber and Lyft are outrageous in NYC now. I also remember that a yellow cab from LGA to midtown Manhattan was $20 but those days are sadly long gone. I suspect that the prices skyrocketed as soon as the shuttle services shut down. This was my first time back in NYC since the pandemic
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Thanks - I've heard amazing things about TWA! My final destination is McLean, VA - so I could do BWI or IAD, depending on JFLK's offerings......or even PHL! But then I'd go direct to PHL and get an AM taxi,
Please fly into IAD. BWI is far enough as-is, BWI to McClean is at least an hour at any time of day and much longer than the quick drive from IAD.
PotomacApproach likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
The AirTrain to Jamaica, then uber is a good choice and lets you bypass some congestion.
It'll probably work out, but do your research about LGA hotels prior to departure so you don't have to scramble if something falls apart.

Have you thought about the A-train subway into Penn station, and then Amtrak / Acela to DC / Baltimore? Acela gets there by 10:30 for $75

Last edited by joeyE; Jan 10, 2022 at 10:07 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
Please fly into IAD. BWI is far enough as-is, BWI to McClean is at least an hour at any time of day and much longer than the quick drive from IAD.
Not quite an hour if its later in the evening. I've done BWI in 50 minutes from my house.

IAD is the closest airport, but AA does not fly JFK-IAD and its JFK-DCA service is often limited.

Oh, unless you have a car lined up or are planning on taking MARC/Amtrak from BWI to DC's Union Station, an Uber from BWI to McLean will be $80+. You are aware of that, no?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
The AirTrain to Jamaica, then uber is a good choice and let's you bypass some congestion.
It'll probably work out, but do your research about LGA hotels prior to departure so you don't have to scramble if something falls apart.

Have you thought about the A-train subway into Penn station, and then Amtrak / Acela to DC / Baltimore? Acela gets there by 10:30 for $75
I like the Amtrak option, but that Acela departs New York Penn at 8:13 pm (weeknights only, and the fare is sometimes a lot more than $75), so unless the OP were to get out of Customs very early, I would probably take the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn (typically ~ a 20-minute ride). My second choice would be the "E" train from Jamaica instead of the "A" from Howard Beach, for two reasons:

1. The "E" is faster than the "A" to Penn Station; and
2. Service is a lot more frequent on the "E" than on that branch of the "A", so less of a wait if you just miss a train.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Thanks guys. Will bear it in mind. The connection is to BWI, arriving 23:19. So potentially a hotel at JFK and an early AM flight may well be a kinder solution!
What airline is flying LGA-BWI?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
What airline is flying LGA-BWI?
southwest
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:51 pm

All this assumes your JFK inbound flight is delay free which is no guarantee these days.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Another option is to plan an overnight layover at JFK/LGA from the start so you can relax. There is a brand new Hyatt Regency at JFK for 12k points or a cat 1-4 cert., and a couple of brand new Marriotts reasonably priced at LGA.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I would not consider Airtrain to Jamaica - I can't image that is really worth it adding all the associated time of the Airtrain. It would take *really* bad traffic on van wyck for that to save time.
Plus I would much rather deal with the taxi rank/uber at T8 than either the traffic mess at Jamaica or the green taxi rank there that likes to play games (meters that don't turn on, broken credit card machines, etc).
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:12 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Perhaps I missed this somewhere in the string, but is there a reason you’re flying into JFK? There are a plethora of flights into Dulles from Europe every day and then you’d be about 15-20 minutes away from McLean.
ijgordon and wetrat0 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.