Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
had one last year... ATL to MIA... a very very nice FA.. who was fresh to AA
AADFW likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I too miss the PDBs. I regard it as a nice perk to flying up front. I love me a vodka and OJ to start the flight.

BTW, this reminds me of a story from years ago. I was flying PHL-PIT and the FA asked me if I wanted a PDB. I said that I would like a screwdriver. She gave me this quizzical look. I explained that I wanted a vodka and OJ. I always found it odd that she didn't know what a screwdriver cocktail was.
hurnik likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
On my last two red-eyes (both in F) I was able to ask for a glass of water (in one case) or OJ (in the second) to take some meds. That's the scope. However, I think that on my outbound in December (daytime) I got a drink in a real glass. Makes the club soda taste so much better
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
I got a one off PDB on a PHL to MSP flight in July 2020. Wonderful FA serving the F cabin on that flight.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
They were very hit or miss (mostly miss) before Covid. So even if they officially "return" I wouldn't adjust my expectations very much.
AAway, Antarius and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by Stripe
They were very hit or miss (mostly miss) before Covid. So even if they officially "return" I wouldn't adjust my expectations very much.
And while we're at it--

How about hot towels? Let alone warm nuts in ramekins?! Gosh, how I miss the 'good old days'...
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AADFW
I was on an AS flight last year out of LAX when a female F passenger requested a PDB and the (particularly odious) male FA said that the FAA had banned them due to Covid. She challenged him to cite the FAA rule and another passenger behind her, obviously sensing that this would end up badly, intervened to back up the FA. So yeah, not holding out much hope that AS will be taking custom PDB orders on domestic flights anytime soon. It's a real shame because their scheduled service is super convenient otherwise.

Also, I'd rather be given nothing at all pre-departure than be subjected to those "school lunchbox" boxes of water.
Did the other passenger also claimed it was, as the FA had stated, an FAA rule..... backing up the FA with a lie?
asnovici likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 9, 2022 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
The the other passenger also claimed it was, as the FA had stated, an FAA rule..... backing up the FA with a lie?
Yeah, that was my take at least. He said something to the effect of "I'm sure that's correct," but it seemed pretty clear from his demeanor that he just didn't want the flight to get held up due to a stupid conflict over drinks.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
And while we're at it--

How about hot towels? Let alone warm nuts in ramekins?! Gosh, how I miss the 'good old days'...
Those were pretty consistent pre COVID. PDBs were almost as rare as engine failure.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Antarius
PDBs were almost as rare as engine failure.
Source?

This thread proves otherwise. From a quick scan, I'd estimate 70% or higher.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Source?

This thread proves otherwise. From a quick scan, I'd estimate 70% or higher.
Personal experience. 100+ flights a year, averaged an engine failure, explosion or issue around once a year and PDBs around twice.
SkyLich likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Personal experience. 100+ flights a year, averaged an engine failure, explosion or issue around once a year and PDBs around twice.
From my personal experience, I'd say 100% PDB, for what that's worth. I trust a thread with a mix of FlyerTalkers' input -v- the input of an individual.

That said, this thread is about PDB's coming back, not about the past.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
From my personal experience, I'd say 100% PDB, for what that's worth. I trust a thread with a mix of FlyerTalkers' input -v- the input of an individual.

That said, this thread is about PDB's coming back, not about the past.
LUS was better about it than LAA. One of the few service upsides from that side of the merger. I was LAA and ended up primarily on LAA crewed routes, so that might have affected my percentage.

Regardless, I'd be shocked if PDBs come back consistently going forward.
AAway likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Goodness! If your engine failure to PDB ratio is 1:2, remind me never to fly with you!

-FlyerBeek
roadtriper likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:09 pm

AA taking billions of your taxpayer money for a bailout and you expect good service and a pre departure drink in First? haha The only reason you get good service on International flights is something called competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.