Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

stowaway from Guatemala discovered alive in landing gear well

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Hey guys!

I heard the news today. AA flight #1182 just arrived at Miami. Came from Guatemala City. A male stowaway was discovered alive in the landing gear. The security at GUA. They didn’t do right! This is very bad security. They didn’t search it and they must be secured the airports.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
That's at least a couple of hours hypoxic and frickin freezing...amazed he's alive

All the best, James
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All, here’s a link:

the man just arrived in Miami. He came from Guatemala City, Guatemala, not Mexico. I believe the customs will investigate it. I wonder how he got there??? Guatemala security is very bad. They didn’t do right! They didn’t search it! That is problem!

Authorities in Miami investigate whether man came from wheel well of airplane that had just arrived from Mexico

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...i-from-mexico/
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
"They didn’t search it and they must be secured the airports"

"Guatemala security is very bad. They didn’t do right! They didn’t search it! That is problem!"

And US security is 100% effective! NOT.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Happened in Miami, you say......?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman
Happened in Miami, you say......?
Yes, they always do. Sometimes they have a problem or trouble at airports. This is only the way.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm surprised and glad he survived. Imagine the desperation he must have felt to try this.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Wow: check out the video in this local news report: https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...i-from-mexico/

The guy not only survived, but he was able to walk a little bit. Reminds me of jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge. Vast majority perish, but a few somehow defy the grim odds.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
Man survives flight in landing gear from Guatemala to Miami

https://www.boston.com/news/national...p_featurestack

When asked why he did it, the man responded, I could not find any availability in sAAver...
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bcl00

When asked why he did it, the man responded, I could not find any availability in sAAver...
Love it. My type of humor.

Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bcl00

This is comedic gold.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: CK or bust
While he was fortunate to survive and I have endless crass cracks about AA's deplorable product, that someone's situation was so miserable to have been driven to expose oneself to the lack of oxygen, pressurization extremes, frigid temperatures, potential gear crush, and fall risk just for a chance at something better is a terrible reflection on the world today.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fdog
That's at least a couple of hours hypoxic and frickin freezing...amazed he's alive

All the best, James
Equivalent available oxygen at 30,000 msl is 6.3%, as opposed to 20.9% at sea level. Anything under 19% isn’t good for human survival. Pretty amazing - and pretty desperate.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
To add to that technical perspective, here is the FAA section that deals with oxygen for sustained flight above FL120:

Sec. 135.89 Pilot requirements: Use of Oxygen.
(a) Unpressurized aircraft. Each pilot of an unpressurized aircraft shall use oxygen
continuously when flying—
(1) At altitudes above 10,000 feet through 12,000 feet MSL for that part of the flight at
those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration; and
(2) Above 12,000 feet MSL.

(b) Pressurized aircraft. (1) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated with the cabin
pressure altitude more than 10,000 feet MSL, each pilot shall comply with paragraph (a) of

this section.
(2) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 25,000 feet through 35,000
feet MSL, unless each pilot has an approved quick-donning type oxygen mask–
(i) At least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask that
either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin

pressure altitude exceeds 12,000 feet MSL; and
(ii) During that flight, each other pilot on flight deck duty shall have an oxygen mask,
connected to an oxygen supply, located so as to allow immediate placing of the mask on the

pilot’s face sealed and secured for use.
(3) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 35,000 feet MSL, at
least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask required by

paragraph(b)(2)(i) of this section.
(4) If one pilot leaves a pilot duty station of an aircraft when operating at altitudes above
25,000 feet MSL, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an approved

oxygen mask until the other pilot returns to the pilot duty station of the aircraft.
§91.211 Supplemental oxygen.
(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet
(MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental

oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;
(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight
crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those

altitudes; and
(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft
is provided with supplemental oxygen.
(b) Pressurized cabin aircraft. (1) No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry with
a pressurized cabin—
(i) At flight altitudes above flight level 250 unless at least a 10-minute supply of
supplemental oxygen, in addition to any oxygen required to satisfy paragraph (a) of this

section, is available for each occupant of the aircraft for use in the event that a descent is

necessitated by loss of cabin pressurization; and
(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the controls of the airplane
is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured and sealed and that either supplies

oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of

the airplane exceeds 14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an

oxygen mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the controls and each

pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be placed on the face with one hand

from the ready position within 5 seconds, supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is

necessary for one pilot to leave the controls of the aircraft when operating at flight altitudes

above flight level 350, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an oxygen

mask until the other pilot has returned to that crewmember’s station.
N830MH likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by enpremiere
...is a terrible reflection on the world today.
And unfortunately quite an accurate one. The Holocaust is now "under debate" in Texas schools, but this part of the convo is for OMNI.
nancypants and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.