Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
How will ugrades be prioritized?

Rolling average of LP or Rolling average of LP from flights

Would suck to be a road warrior EP w/ 60 segments and get passed on upgrades by some dude who puts 400K on his Mastercard and has 3 segments for the year.
Get ready for some of the manufactured spend crowd to get to the head of the upgrade list at times and even take the upgrades. Should make for some interesting times with the upgrades when some manufactured-spending college students get ahead of the weekly business class flyers on US-LHR flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Get ready for some of the manufactured spend crowd to get to the head of the upgrade list at times and even take the upgrades. Should make for some interesting times with the upgrades when some manufactured-spending college students get ahead of the weekly business class flyers on US-LHR flights.

Yup. I am kind of surprised that they didn't tie upgrade priority to the 30 segment minimum as well. Seems like an easy way to focus upgrades on the true frequent flyers.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Yup. I am kind of surprised that they didn't tie upgrade priority to the 30 segment minimum as well. Seems like an easy way to focus upgrades on the true frequent flyers.
They're not targeting true frequent fliers. They're targeting the highest revenue customers and incenting them to spend more on the CC.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:38 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by hhdl
The dude is almost certainly more profitable for AA than the road warrior who needs upgrades (assuming said road warrior was earning fewer than 36k EQD).
Accordingly, it's rolling 12 month LP from all sources.
So hold off on card spend till Jan and boost 2 cards for 90k - The LP should be high for next year - rinse and repeat
I plan to keep the cards and decide after 10 months of flying how much of a LP boost I need before wasting any spend on the AA cards
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
AA lounge access is not worth $450/year
I agree. It's what I've been saying forever now. I rather use a Centurion Lounge instead.
tfizzle and MiamiBill like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do you mean an upgrade to the main cabin? If so, is that a big deal? Certainly not to the business cabin, right? Need SWU for that?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree. It's what I've been saying forever now. I rather use a Centurion Lounge instead.
What do you do in a place like ORD or BOS?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
What do you do in a place like ORD or BOS?
I do remember using my PP restaurant credit at one of the restaurants at BOS. Too bad BOS isn't getting much love from AMEX.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:08 pm

Come on down to AUS and let me know how that works for you.

Do you mean an upgrade to the main cabin? If so, is that a big deal? Certainly not to the business cabin, right? Need SWU for that?
On domestic flights, upgrading to domestic F, yes, it's significantly better than MCE. No SWU needed. That's the majority of "upgrades" that happen in the AA system.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
All depends on how often you're traveling, and what the lounge options are in the airports you frequent. For most people, it's probably not worth it. But for a frequent domestic traveler through airports where AC are the most plentiful or only option, it can be well worth it.
matxms likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
I wonder how the AA lounges compare with Centurion.
Centurion >> Admiral's Club. Not even close.

There are of course major airports that have Admiral's Clubs (or even Flagship) but no Centurion. Something I still have to test out - I believe I've heard that an Admiral's Club day pass will be reimbursed by the $200/year Amex Platinum airline credit. If so, that fills in some holes.

Depends on the airports you tend to fly through.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Would suck to be a road warrior EP w/ 60 segments and get passed on upgrades by some dude who puts 400K on his Mastercard and has 3 segments for the year.
How would you know?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: aa explt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite
coffee and/or a cocktail on both sides of each flight = $15
Snack/meal at airport =$10
Shower on long travel days= priceless

Pays for itself in 18 segments plus more comfortable place to sit, quieter and often have a guest using those same benefits.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimup
Pays for itself in 18 segments plus more comfortable place to sit, quieter and often have a guest using those same benefits.
"Free" Wifi
Cleaner restrooms
Desk agents for flight help/IRROPS
Sometimes, workspaces, for when things go sideways
Not waiting with the crowd at the gate

Lots of ancillary benefits.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Come on down to AUS and let me know how that works for you.
I think it was reported recently that AMEX was interested in developing a Centurion Lounge at AUS, but apparently, COVID derail it.

On domestic flights, upgrading to domestic F, yes, it's significantly better than MCE. No SWU needed. That's the majority of "upgrades" that happen in the AA system.
I've been upgraded to domestic F on DL and yes, it's better than the main cabin, but it's still not a lie-flat seat.

As an EXP, what are the odds of being upgraded to a lie-flat on JFK-LAX without using an SWU?

Originally Posted by rjflies
All depends on how often you're traveling, and what the lounge options are in the airports you frequent. For most people, it's probably not worth it. But for a frequent domestic traveler through airports where AC are the most plentiful or only option, it can be well worth it.
Originally Posted by jerseytom
Centurion >> Admiral's Club. Not even close.

There are of course major airports that have Admiral's Clubs (or even Flagship) but no Centurion. Something I still have to test out - I believe I've heard that an Admiral's Club day pass will be reimbursed by the $200/year Amex Platinum airline credit. If so, that fills in some holes.

Depends on the airports you tend to fly through.
Originally Posted by jimup
coffee and/or a cocktail on both sides of each flight = $15
Snack/meal at airport =$10
Shower on long travel days= priceless

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
"Free" Wifi
Cleaner restrooms
Desk agents for flight help/IRROPS
Sometimes, workspaces, for when things go sideways
Not waiting with the crowd at the gate

Lots of ancillary benefits.
I get your point if the airport doesn't have a Centurion Lounge. However, if the airport has both an AA lounge and a Centurion Lounge, I'll take the Centurion Lounge any day of the week. The comparison isn't even close. The Centurion Lounge is on another level compared to the AA lounge that you get in with the Citi Executive card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.