Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does LIfetime Gold mean anything any more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does LIfetime Gold mean anything any more?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:29 am

As Lifetime Gold, I got upgraded using 500 miles upgrades MIA-DFW on 77W so got full sleeper seat. Yes it was a Tuesday but its the 2nd upgrade ive gotten in 10 flights now. Im just happy my long since accumulated 500 mjle upgrades that I still had banked could be finally used .

The 24 hr window to switch free to MCE is also still a great feature, especially for international.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by carlosdca
You are assuming that the pool of GLDs will be larger enough to make a significant impact.
There is absolutely no certainty that that will happen. So as it is, you are making conclusions based on a highly speculative premise.
Given that $2,500 monthly spend on credit cards will earn Gold with no flying, I don't think it's highly speculative. I grant you it's not a certainty, either.

It is not that ominous. Let's touch base in a year and see if those MCE seats become elusive (the only benefit that I see impacted by a larger GLD pool). The rest remains the same, no dilution so far.
Will keep an open mind. This develop won't change my habits initially (with LT GLD I simply view AA as standby backup when price/route dynamics warrant), but could eventually steer me further away, or convince me to re-acquire the Citi Exec card and join the conga line with an eye on PLT or PRO.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Given that $2,500 monthly spend on credit cards will earn Gold with no flying, I don't think it's highly speculative. I grant you it's not a certainty, either.
[emphasis added]
No flying? Then why do you worry about people not flying taking your MCE seats? They are...not flying.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I cannot remember a flight where there was not a decent MCE seat available at T-24.
I would have agreed with this until my October flights. 0-2 MCE seats left and only middle seats. PHL-MCO & EYW. So a321s and a319s.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by airb330
I would have agreed with this until my October flights. 0-2 MCE seats left and only middle seats. PHL-MCO & EYW. So a321s and a319s.
Do you monitor the seat map throughout the day?
I have found that right T-24 there may be only middles.
As the day goes by, 100% of the time (in my case) better seats open up (window/aisle), even a few hours before flight time.
dogcanyon and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Do you monitor the seat map throughout the day?
I have found that right T-24 there may be only middles.
As the day goes by, 100% of the time (in my case) better seats open up (window/aisle), even a few hours before flight time.
I am a flyertalker, of course I do . 12DE did open up on the a321 but those seats shouldn't be MCE. These flights also had MCE booked up over the summer. For example, AA cut MCO flights from 6-7 to 4 per day during Disney's 50th celebration.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Here's a question I've been unable to answer about million miler status. Does your million miler status start you at the 40%/60% bonusing level, or do you have to 'earn through' your status level as you did under the previous rules (meaning million miler only contributed to operational status)?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by scolbath
Here's a question I've been unable to answer about million miler status. Does your million miler status start you at the 40%/60% bonusing level, or do you have to 'earn through' your status level as you did under the previous rules (meaning million miler only contributed to operational status)?
You always start from zero for each new qualification period, but you're earning the status bonus for your tier because you have the status.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
You always start from zero for each new qualification period, but you're earning the status bonus for your tier because you have the status.
So that's a pretty nice retained benefit of the LT status tiers, and just the info I was looking for.
fotoflyer88 and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
That LT plat is very nice for us. YMMV
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been every AA tier and low tier with DL and UA as well. In my experience at least AA Golds have the best chance at upgrades vs. other low tier statuses. Also OW Ruby gives significantly more benefits than Star Silver or Skyteam Elite. So there is some value there.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've been every AA tier and low tier with DL and UA as well. In my experience at least AA Golds have the best chance at upgrades vs. other low tier statuses. Also OW Ruby gives significantly more benefits than Star Silver or Skyteam Elite. So there is some value there.
But I Am A Diamond Guest.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I’ve spent a lot of time at Gold, and while we’re at the back of the line for upgrades, I’ve had a decent enough success rate that I don’t write off the program completely. I find AA’s sticker system a slightly fairer way of allocating upgrades to people who value them than Delta where you have nearly no chance in their lowest tier.

Getting free checked bags is a direct benefit, of course.

But the most value I’ve gotten out of Gold has been in IRROPS. Last time I was forced to fly on United with zero status, I was stuck in Chicago on weather delays and realized how privileged I had been on American. It’s not that United is necessarily any worse than AA in dealing with the situation… they just didn’t have any reason to give me priority treatment.

Meanwhile, the same thing happens to me while flying AA, and even as a lowly Gold, I’m thanked by the harried agent for my loyalty, and rebooked ahead of the exasperated people around me who have been waiting hours longer, running from gate to gate with their failed standby attempts.

I probably got hooked on being Gold in college, when I was traveling with my teammates on an oversold flight. Two of us were being paged by the podium, and we thought there was going to be a problem. Instead, we were both issued new boarding passes. 2A and 3F. Turns out both of us had turned Gold, and they needed to bump us up to free up some economy seats. That’s not a common occurrence, but it did mean something that became addictive.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jamflyer
I never had any issues using these and I am LT Gold as well.
Try it from DFW to another hub.
And on Jan 3, I saw how preboarding after group 1 can be a bit of a disadvantage as I watch planes unload many people in uniform in St Louis, bound for Fort Leonard Wood. There was a bunch in my STL- DFW flight, but nowhere near the percentages I saw getting off flights at STL

Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by guv1976
In addition to the Gold benefits noted upthread, keep in mind that AA Golds enjoy special benefits on AS that go beyond what other oneworld Rubies get; and Golds now also get some benefits when flying B6.
Please explain... what special benefits does an AA gold get on AS or B6?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.