Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
What is the upgrade prioritization within tiers? Does EQDs still exist or???
LP's is the new EQD for breaking ties within elite tiers
the wording on aa.com says LP will replace EQD for upgrades
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
And if the person who flies a half-dozen times a year and puts $180K+ on their credit card happens to be on that flight, they'll get upgraded ahead of you.
And if there are lots of CKs on that flight, they'll get upgraded ahead of you and them.

The CC spender that is elite without much flying is the new boogeyman of every day flying, just like FAMS or non-revs.
percysmith and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I admit that I don't know the full list of benefits, but EXP is still in line for upgrades ahead of PPro. And if the person who flies a half-dozen times a year and puts $180K+ on their credit card happens to be on that flight, they'll get upgraded ahead of you.
As a current Plat Pro (soon to be EXP again) - I flew 4 segments a few days ago to west coast for 4 day weekend. Bought coach on outbound, bought F for return.
On outbound segments I was #5 on upgrade list for segment 1 and #10 on list for segment 2.

I am not getting upgrades as a plat pro - with spend almost at the EXP level now. So I decided to spend an extra $3K this year to get EXP by mid Dec. I will get the 120K bonus - early Jan.

But I will see how upgrades go this coming year. No incentive now to buy F since the 2x EQM doesn't apply now. Only ticket prices - and getting 30 segments. With enough spend I will buy only coach now and select MCE.

The big question now - what is AA going to do about corporate contracts and give away CK and EXP. Are they going to increase CK numbers significantly for big customers so they jump above EXPs for upgrade? With the new LP - business travelers will likely have trouble making EXP or CK unless AA gives it to them. No talk here about CK "number increase" and impact.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cova
As a current Plat Pro (soon to be EXP again) - I flew 4 segments a few days ago to west coast for 4 day weekend. Bought coach on outbound, bought F for return.
On outbound segments I was #5 on upgrade list for segment 1 and #10 on list for segment 2.

I am not getting upgrades as a plat pro - with spend almost at the EXP level now. So I decided to spend an extra $3K this year to get EXP by mid Dec. I will get the 120K bonus - early Jan.

But I will see how upgrades go this coming year. No incentive now to buy F since the 2x EQM doesn't apply now. Only ticket prices - and getting 30 segments. With enough spend I will buy only coach now and select MCE.

The big question now - what is AA going to do about corporate contracts and give away CK and EXP. Are they going to increase CK numbers significantly for big customers so they jump above EXPs for upgrade? With the new LP - business travelers will likely have trouble making EXP or CK unless AA gives it to them. No talk here about CK "number increase" and impact.
or add a promo for double LPs for flights only for a limited time. I bet AA already knows that they will need to do promos in 2022.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:59 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
How does double dipping in January and February affect earning status for 2022?

I will be about $25 short on EQD's at the end of December, although I'll have enough segments for Gold (I'm Platinum now). Can I get an American branded credit card and have the January and February spend on that count toward EQD's? Or it is simply that I'd need another flight in January or February to get the EQD's? I'm asking since it may be tough for me based on schedule to fly during those months.

I read through the changes on the AA website and looked through this thread and didn't see the answer. Apologies if this is an obvious thing and I either didn't see it or just didn't understand.

AGS
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:10 pm

I'm already losing focus on this potential nightmare even though I think it'll work in my favor.

According to the AA app, I'm at 17,486 EQD -- but somewhere this year I think they gifted some EQD as part of a promotion, so I have no real clue what my "real" EQD is. I figure next year I'll have at least 64 segments so the 30 segment thing is no issue. I usually budget about $225 per segment average, so $14,000 LPs just from flying?

The credit card part is confusing me to no end -- is the Citibank AA Executive card ($450 AF) as good as the Barclay Silver?

I easily have $30,000 in spend on my Citibank card that comes with the "free" admiral lounge access. Reading through this entire thread seems to say the Barclay Card Silver might offer more LPs? I can't seem to find any evidence of that anywhere but here so if anyone knows for sure, I'll snag that card if it helps. I get better deals with Amex Platinum (6.25% cashback on airfare booked direct) but I'm tossing that card now that it's lost interest to me and $20,000 a year at 6.25% is $1250 cashback versus LPs from whatever AA card sounds like it's mostly breakeven in either direction.

The $30,000 I put on Citibank is mostly just for the 60,000 award miles so I can snag my elderly dad a decent seat to Europe once a year. I definitely can't spend $30,000 elsewhere and get that kind of return cash-wise.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AB Dada
The credit card part is confusing me to no end -- is the Citibank AA Executive card ($450 AF) as good as the Barclay Silver?

I easily have $30,000 in spend on my Citibank card that comes with the "free" admiral lounge access. Reading through this entire thread seems to say the Barclay Card Silver might offer more LPs? I can't seem to find any evidence of that anywhere but here so if anyone knows for sure, I'll snag that card if it helps. I get better deals with Amex Platinum (6.25% cashback on airfare booked direct) but I'm tossing that card now that it's lost interest to me and $20,000 a year at 6.25% is $1250 cashback versus LPs from whatever AA card sounds like it's mostly breakeven in either direction.

The $30,000 I put on Citibank is mostly just for the 60,000 award miles so I can snag my elderly dad a decent seat to Europe once a year. I definitely can't spend $30,000 elsewhere and get that kind of return cash-wise.
Both the Citi Executive (which gives you Admirals Club access) and the Barclay's Silver give you 1 LP per $ spent. The difference is on the bonus. With the Citi Exec, you get an additional 10k LPs if you spend $40k for the year. With the Aviator Silver, you get 5k LPs after $20k spend, $40k spend, and $50k spend.

So if you have $30k in spend, the Citi will get you 30k LPs, and the Aviator Silver 35k LPs. If you have $40k in spend, both will get you 50k LPs, and if you have $50k in spend, the Aviator Silver will get you 65k LPs.

I'm not sure how you're getting 60k reddemable miles from $30k spend, since the Citi Exec is 1 mile per $, only 2 miles per $ on AA purchases. Are you spending $30k on AA tickets? If so, the Aviator Silver gives you 3x miles/$, so you'd be getting 90k award miles with that $30k spend.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Both the Citi Executive (which gives you Admirals Club access) and the Barclay's Silver give you 1 LP per $ spent. The difference is on the bonus. With the Citi Exec, you get an additional 10k LPs if you spend $40k for the year. With the Aviator Silver, you get 5k LPs after $20k spend, $40k spend, and $50k spend.

So if you have $30k in spend, the Citi will get you 30k LPs, and the Aviator Silver 35k LPs. If you have $40k in spend, both will get you 50k LPs, and if you have $50k in spend, the Aviator Silver will get you 65k LPs.

I'm not sure how you're getting 60k reddemable miles from $30k spend, since the Citi Exec is 1 mile per $, only 2 miles per $ on AA purchases. Are you spending $30k on AA tickets? If so, the Aviator Silver gives you 3x miles/$, so you'd be getting 90k award miles with that $30k spend.
ok this was massively helpful. I’ll snag the Aviator next week — from what I can tell I can only app the Red card and then call to upgrade to Silver?

and yeah you’re right about my bad math — I was obviously only getting 30k award miles for dad’s ticket on AA which was terrible return on $30k spend! I put most of my AA spend on Amex Plat for the high cash back rate.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no Bask update from anyone?
DaveH and darkrider like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AB Dada
ok this was massively helpful. I’ll snag the Aviator next week — from what I can tell I can only app the Red card and then call to upgrade to Silver?

and yeah you’re right about my bad math — I was obviously only getting 30k award miles for dad’s ticket on AA which was terrible return on $30k spend! I put most of my AA spend on Amex Plat for the high cash back rate.
When I got the Silver, I had to wait a few months (I think it was 3) after getting the Red card before the offer to upgrade to Silver was available. I don't know if that's still the case. On the Silver, you'll get:
Spend on AA: 3 miles/$
Hotels and rental cars: 2 miles/$
All other spend: 1 mile/$

So for redeemable miles, it's only better than the Citi card if using it for hotels, rental cars, or AA purchases.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
When I got the Silver, I had to wait a few months (I think it was 3) after getting the Red card before the offer to upgrade to Silver was available. I don't know if that's still the case. On the Silver, you'll get:
Spend on AA: 3 miles/$
Hotels and rental cars: 2 miles/$
All other spend: 1 mile/$

So for redeemable miles, it's only better than the Citi card if using it for hotels, rental cars, or AA purchases.
doesn’t seem to be any penalty for having both cards and maxing for LP if you fly 30 segments, tho. $90-100K spend across both means 100K LP?

thanks for your math help. This was really the most confusing part for me. I know I’ll do 13K or whatever in LP from flying AA fares, but the remainder was the question. potentially could even downgrade some of my first/business domestics if I know my CC spend will compensate — and hope for those upgrades if fewer people qualify for EXP.

I fly coach enough still solo that the better opportunity for upgrades makes loyalty valuable. Even in 2021 I’ve been upgraded more than 80% maybe even 90% on my coach fares and wouldn’t mind keeping those chances for 2023 and beyond.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA
Help with calculation, please

Suppose an EXP flies LAX-LHR (5440 miles) in Business. How many loyalty points does s/he earn if flying on AA?

Is the answer different if flying on BA?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by JuanTT
Suppose an EXP flies LAX-LHR (5440 miles) in Business. How many loyalty points does s/he earn if flying on AA?

Is the answer different if flying on BA?
11x the cost of the ticket minus taxes and fees.

Yes. It will depend on the fare class on BA.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I -could- put more spend on my card (college tuition for example), but paying 3% in card fees for that is not appetizing.
Unappetizing? It's beyond unappetizing. It's a ridiculous waste of money.

Paying 3% more to earn Loyalty Points is financial idiocy.
DaveH, milypan, scoonee and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Let me see if I've got this for partner flights (assuming the earning chart doesn't change) - for say, SFO-SYD in R (discount PEY) that's 100% earning with no COS bonus, so that's about 7400 * 2 * 1.6 (PLT bonus) = 23680 LP vs. if I'm flying American (barring getting to PPro), to get 23680 LP I'd need my employer to be paying $2960 for the same ticket? (Actually, slightly more, since that doesn't include government fees)

Am I misreading something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.