Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jtav559
I happened to be up at 330AM PST and the app showed update format, but no LP posting.

Checked back at 8am PST and they had posted to my account as a single transaction

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of CC spend, eShopping points, dining points, and flying points in Jan and Feb .... AA gave me an extra 2K LP's that I just can't account for.
Not that I am complaining, but it seems cumbersome to go back thru 100+ transactions to try to find their error since it is in my favor.

58K in LP as of now, likely will make EXP by August.
I just did the math on mine and I have exactly 1k more LP than I thought I would have. (Well, it was 1009, until I realized I forgot 9 miles from getting gas at Shell.) The only thing I can think of is that they gave me 1k LP from the Babylist eshopping thing which had been clawed back.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Aadvantage miles are based on the base fare of the ticket, not distance flown. It's been like that for several years.
Except for partners and special fares (even on AA metal and coded flights in the latter case) where it is distance-based.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:59 am

Further to my issue of miscalculated LP’s, I can’t seem to raise a request for missing miles. I’ve tried multiple ticket numbers and none of them can raise a request for missing miles.

This is frustrating.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Except for partners and special fares (even on AA metal and coded flights in the latter case) where it is distance-based.

Cheers.
Sure

You can also earn EXP by spending about $2000 with the right partners and not flying. But the "cost" being discussed here seems to be clearly the cost of flying regular fares on AA metal.

Of course there are cheaper ways to do it; there always have been
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:04 am

Aadvantage miles are based on the base fare of the ticket, not distance flown. It's been like that for several years.
I understand that, but it used to be based fare times some multiplier based on class of service or ticket code. i.e. Sometimes you'd get 0.5, 1x, 1.5x etc.

my point being, I don't think $1 of spend necessarily equates to 1 Loyalty Point, even at a no status bonus.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also earn EXP by spending about $2000 with the right partners and not flying. But the "cost" being discussed here seems to be clearly the cost of flying regular fares on AA metal.
Right. Just pointing out that it's possible to fly those same AA flights with the same flight numbers often for lower cost and sometimes for higher loyalty earning.

With EQD it was routinely possible to do better than 1 EQD/$ with this. So far I'm not finding it to be as easy with the LP equation, but it is still worth looking (and mentioning) IMO.

But, yes, for straight AA spend it is as you say.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
I just did the math on mine and I have exactly 1k more LP than I thought I would have. (Well, it was 1009, until I realized I forgot 9 miles from getting gas at Shell.) The only thing I can think of is that they gave me 1k LP from the Babylist eshopping thing which had been clawed back.
Yeah, I had a few clawbacks from legit returns and canceled orders on eShopping. But I couldnt get any combination thereof to add up to the overage I seem to have.

Whatever, I will chalk it up as a win and head on down the road!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usafltg
I understand that, but it used to be based fare times some multiplier based on class of service or ticket code. i.e. Sometimes you'd get 0.5, 1x, 1.5x etc.

my point being, I don't think $1 of spend necessarily equates to 1 Loyalty Point, even at a no status bonus.
With no status bonus, $1 of spend is 5 LP. There has not been a CoS bonus on miles earned since they went to the revenue-based system.

You are basically describing the system from several years ago. Miles earned (on AA marketed flights, not special fares) has been based solely on fare and status for a long time now. It's not based on distance flown or class of service. The LP system doesn't change any of that; it simply gets rid of EQM and EQD and bases your status on the miles earned.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usafltg

That was EQM - Elite Qualifying Miles. The award miles (RDM) were spend only for straight AA flights. And LPs match RDM.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:15 am

Apparently AA doesn't like me: My account now shows member since March 1, 2022, wiping out many years, zero RDM, wiping out way more miles than I should be holding on to, zero status, deleting lifetime, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:18 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Mine are correct to the exact LP based on my spreadsheet. Mix of flights, BookAAHotels, Credit Card, Dining, Eshopping (including a Verizon missing miles request that was posted as "BASE").
I am astounded.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Loyalty Points posted today, here is a report:
- RocketMiles hotel stays : counted in full as base miles and as LPs.
- eShopping On-Line purchase (w/ increased earnings offer) : counted in full as base miles and as LPs.
- 500 In-Flight bonus miles for meal purchase : counted as bonus miles only, no LPs.
- Aviator card spend : counted as base miles and LPs, bonus counted as bonus miles and no LPs.
- One flight in F cabin paid J fare : award miles counted as LPs, no cabin bonus --> miles earned is not much compared to the other streams above.

So, all confirmed as I expected. I'm already Plat for 2023 and have only stepped inside an AA plane once. This new program clearly has nothing to do with flying.
psusaver likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
With no status bonus, $1 of spend is 5 LP. There has not been a CoS bonus on miles earned since they went to the revenue-based system.

You are basically describing the system from several years ago. Miles earned (on AA marketed flights, not special fares) has been based solely on fare and status for a long time now. It's not based on distance flown or class of service. The LP system doesn't change any of that; it simply gets rid of EQM and EQD and bases your status on the miles earned.
Pardon my confusion here, but maybe you could help me understand this. Any idea as to what the cabin bonus is in this chart from AA?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Pardon my confusion here, but maybe you could help me understand this. Any idea as to what the cabin bonus is in this chart from AA?
Those are special fares. We are taking about regular fares. I specifically said "Not special fares" in the post that you quoted. The picture you posted is of a web page that has a title of "Special Fares"
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:26 am

This is what I'm getting at....

To me, it DOES look like there is a cabin bonus from this chart. F, A, J by this chart to me.... reads you get 100% of the earned mileage + an additional 100%.... but maybe i'm wrong...

That's why this is confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.