Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA no longer operates NYC-LAS or AM NYC-LAX flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA no longer operates NYC-LAS or AM NYC-LAX flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by 747-800i
You don't have exactly correct. If one has paid for F, and now the only direct flights are B6 (no M1NT...which means no F product) then one is SOL.
Hmmm, well that does seem kind of problematic. But I'm sure there's still a workaround involving getting a full refund for your AA ticket (due to either change in operating carrier, cancellation of flight, nonexistence of class of service, etc.) and starting over with a new ticket in paid F, whether connect on AA or nonstop on OA.

As the now cancelled AA nonstop did not have lie flats (right?), it's not like paid F on OA is going to be dramatically different.

Are there opportunities to book a connecting NYC-LAS itinerary on AA that involve lie flat equipment? Widebodies have occasionally appeared on some PHL/CLT/DFW - LAS flights.

As a paid first flyer, I'd much rather opt for NYC-CLT-LAS with the latter segment on a lie flat 777/787 than NYC-LAS nonstop on a plain old narrowbody with AA Krappiak pitch in F.

For longer flights like NYC-LAS, I don't want to fly coach, even exit row. Now I don't even have the option to pay more for comfort (as I did before AA cancelled my flight) since B6 don't offer it.
You are dramatically underestimating the number of ways one can travel from NYC to LAS. Almost all of which have premium cabins of some sort. But then again this whole thread has been an overly dramatic and not entirely accurate rant.

Last edited by Herb687; Oct 18, 2021 at 4:49 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Wow great! On "most days," sadly there are 0 on the day I need to travel and no AA directs to LAX arriving before like 8pm at night and AA told me I cannot be rebooked on the AA codeshare operated by B6 to LAX earlier in the day. Super convenient. I waited 30 min for a call back and have waited 30-60m for a call back each of the last 3-4 times I have called EXP desk.
again with being overdramatic. There’s at least two morning flights daily and on most days even more on AA metal from JFK to LAX. American is not going to rebook you on JetBlue when they have their own options.

remove the drama and emotions from this and you might actually find there’s workable solutions including nonstop flights on American near the times you want.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:46 pm

B6 is convenient for economy flights, but one of the perks of AA status is to clear into F. When B6 operate the flights there's no F, and that's off the table. For longer flights like NYC-LAS, I don't want to fly coach, even exit row. Now I don't even have the option to pay more for comfort (as I did before AA cancelled my flight) since B6 don't offer it.
If you actually took some time to look into this, you would see the information you’re spewing is not at all accurate. JetBlue has at least one flight on most days from JFK to Vegas that has the Mint product.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow great! On "most days," sadly there are 0 on the day I need to travel and no AA directs to LAX arriving before like 8pm at night and AA told me I cannot be rebooked on the AA codeshare operated by B6 to LAX earlier in the day. Super convenient. I waited 30 min for a call back and have waited 30-60m for a call back each of the last 3-4 times I have called EXP desk.
First you say there are 0 AA flights on JFK-LAX, and then you qualify it with saying there are none arriving before 8PM. Not the same thing. It looks like AA1 is scheduled to operate on 12/28 and 12/29, but inventory is currently zeroed out in all classes (could be because they are going to cancel or could be simply due to being fully booked).
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 18, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Wait a minute. Are we slowly learning that this whole ridiculous thread was launched because of a HOLIDAY NO-OP???

Should the mods retitle yet again to something along the lines of "Rant: Holiday No-Ops Still Exist"?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
again with being overdramatic. There’s at least two morning flights daily and on most days even more on AA metal from JFK to LAX. American is not going to rebook you on JetBlue when they have their own options.

remove the drama and emotions from this and you might actually find there’s workable solutions including nonstop flights on American near the times you want.
Again..."most days" does not help when the day you are scheduled to fly isn't covered. I found a solution and was rebooked JFK-LAX-LAS a day earlier. Not the most convenient. In between the boot licking no one bothered to address the point that this tie up is going to lead to less flights to choose from as many AA flights switch to B6 codeshares and this will lead to higher prices for all of us.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
Hmmm, well that does seem kind of problematic. But I'm sure there's still a workaround involving getting a full refund for your AA ticket (due to either change in operating carrier, cancellation of flight, nonexistence of class of service, etc.) and starting over with a new ticket in paid F, whether connect on AA or nonstop on OA.
The problem with this of course being that now, closer to Dec., a flight in between XMAS and NYE will be much more $$$ than it was when the original ticket was purchased, so yes, it would have been great to get a refund and the privilege of paying 4x more for a new ticket on a better routing. As noted, I found a solution with the AAgent, but it required changing date of travel because AAs schedule change resulted in 0 AA nonstops NYC-LAS on my travel date and 0 AA operated NYC-LAX directs arriving early enough to make a sensible LAS connection. Prior to this B6 tie up, that was not the case, thus it is my feeling that this tie up is not all puppy dogs and ice cream. The corporate apologists on here CANNOT seem to tolerate any criticism of their favorite airline. Sad!
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again..."most days" does not help when the day you are scheduled to fly isn't covered. I found a solution and was rebooked JFK-LAX-LAS a day earlier. Not the most convenient. In between the boot licking no one bothered to address the point that this tie up is going to lead to less flights to choose from as many AA flights switch to B6 codeshares and this will lead to higher prices for all of us.
You initially generalized that "This is going to slash frequencies transcon, make it impossible to use upgrade instruments and drive prices up". Your thread topic contains the same type of overgeneralization -- "Rant: AA no longer operates NYC-LAS or AM NYC-LAX flights".The reality is that the reductions we are talking about here only impact a few days of the entire year (12/28 and 12/29 for JFK-LAX). It is your overdramatization that this is some kind of broader issue that people are reacting to. And there are flights that arrive before 8:30PM on these dates (AA1 which departs at 9:00AM and AA331 which departs at 12 noon), but they are currently full.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 19, 2021 at 4:13 am
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
The corporate apologists on here CANNOT seem to tolerate any criticism of their favorite airline. Sad!
I no longer have a favorite airline. The AA product cuts and poor on time record over the past decade have left me preferring Delta (among domestic carriers) when all else is equal. I no longer chase status and upgrades and most often buy first with miles or money. I have been flying AA more than any other carrier in recent years because they are now the only airline with first class from MHT, my most convenient airport.

The reality as I see it is that absent the B6 tie up, what has been happening with AA competitiveness from BOS and JFK would continue. At the time AA merged with US, the combined AA/US flight scheduled from BOS would have made them the largest carrier in BOS...but look at where they are today. AA service from NYC vs UA/DL has also declined a lot; both UA and DL are clear winners for those that choose their airline based on the number of non-stops available from their market.

Realistically, I see the AA/B6 joint venture as the only way AA flyers are going to have a competitive number of non-stops from BOS and NYC.

That doesn't mean everything will be better every time for every AA flyer!

Overall, a much larger schedule with Jetblue's excellent products both in coach and Mint (where offered; nice to see it quickly expanding) will IMO better serve AA flyers than the realistic alternative (AA continues their competitive decline in these markets).
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Hearing someone complain about not having quite as much access on the low-density A321s for easy upgrades is great, when some of us DFW/CLT/ORD (etc) oriented passengers would love to have a just a taste of those planes flying on some routes....
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
1.5 hrs yesterday for the exp line :*( I understand they are understaffed but that was one of the longest waits I've personally had in my life on hold. period. it sucked.
+1 on this. This past week, two data points:
Wednesday, I called the EXP desk mid afternoon Pacific time and was told ~1.25 hours for call back. Hold had me with an agent at the 40 min mark. (I inquired as to why the wait and was told "weather in Dallas" - makes sense I guess)
Sunday, called the EXP desk after 7pm Pacific time, and was told ~1.75 hours for call back. Hold got me an agent in 90 mins.
Sunday, called the Five Star services line late Pacific time, no call back option, hold took 35 mins to speak to someone.

Overall, I hope last week was an anomaly, but yes - wait times were pretty terrible compared to personal experience in the past.
YMMV!
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:47 pm

They are not giving up any slots. The overall number of flights operated by AA & B6 are unlikely to change. But you are going to see a lot of those pre-COVID 44/50 seaters from American Eagle becoming B6 mainline. For November, AA has scheduled 9 flights a day between NYC and ORF https://www.google.com/travel/flight...___AUABSAGYAQI
after only having 1 such flight next week
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...TkVPQlp3dUxJQg

All of this is so they can squat on slots. I'd much rather those slots get used by B6 in places I want to go rather than wasted away on empty regional jets.

Keep in mind that AA stopped flying to places like SEA and SAN pre-COVID and only had 1 flight a day to LAS on most days because those flights were not making them any money. If AA actually could operate a NYC network without losing money, it would not be in a partnership with B6.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, Bonvoy, Delta, Hyatt
My NYC-LAS in F for Dec was just cancelled and made a 1-stop because AA now no longer operate ANY of the nonstops from NYC to LAS. I looked into being rebooked through LAX, but all the AM NYC-LAX flights are ALL also B6 operated now. This is going to slash frequencies transcon, make it impossible to use upgrade instruments and drive prices up, but hey! At least the EXP line needs 30 minutes to call me back because they don't hire enough people to man the phones.
similar situation here. I was booked in F on LAS-JFK on new years day, and I anticipated it going away based on the recent chatter here. so I was expecting that. However my plan was to be rerouted on LAS-LAX-JFK, but there are currently no LAX-JFK afternoon flights on new years day. uggg. Hopefully they will be added at a later date. maybe??
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by tphuang
They are not giving up any slots. The overall number of flights operated by AA & B6 are unlikely to change. But you are going to see a lot of those pre-COVID 44/50 seaters from American Eagle becoming B6 mainline. For November, AA has scheduled 9 flights a day between NYC and ORF https://www.google.com/travel/flight...___AUABSAGYAQI
after only having 1 such flight next week
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...TkVPQlp3dUxJQg

All of this is so they can squat on slots. I'd much rather those slots get used by B6 in places I want to go rather than wasted away on empty regional jets.

Keep in mind that AA stopped flying to places like SEA and SAN pre-COVID and only had 1 flight a day to LAS on most days because those flights were not making them any money. If AA actually could operate a NYC network without losing money, it would not be in a partnership with B6.
If JFK isn't going to fly the A321T's or widebodies from JFK to SEA or SAN, I'd rather they let B6 handle it and see if they can make it work with Mint equipped planes. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:37 pm

The problem with this of course being that now, closer to Dec., a flight in between XMAS and NYE will be much more $$$ than it was when the original ticket was purchased, so yes, it would have been great to get a refund and the privilege of paying 4x more for a new ticket on a better routing. As noted, I found a solution with the AAgent, but it required changing date of travel because AAs schedule change resulted in 0 AA nonstops NYC-LAS on my travel date and 0 AA operated NYC-LAX directs arriving early enough to make a sensible LAS connection. Prior to this B6 tie up, that was not the case, thus it is my feeling that this tie up is not all puppy dogs and ice cream. The corporate apologists on here CANNOT seem to tolerate any criticism of their favorite airline. Sad!
Calling out your overdramatics and misinformation is not being a corporate apologist. it’s calling you out for your nonsense.

if you can’t handle that, either start posting correct information without the drama or just don’t post at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.