Wiki Posts
Search

AA Premium Economy vs BA Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:22 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by feysul
Flying from ORD to LHR.. Need to decide between AA 787 or BA 777 Premium Economy product. My mine concern is seat comfort and width....that is my priority.

Thank you
Are you flying solo? If as a pair/group, the 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 layout may make a difference there if you can all be seated together (without anyone sitting next to a stranger). If flying solo, BA is more likely to oversell PY (I've been bumped up to J as OWE a time or two), so you're more likely to get an op-up.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by feysul
Flying from ORD to LHR.. Need to decide between AA 787 or BA 777 Premium Economy product. My mine concern is seat comfort and width....that is my priority.

Thank you
Both are pretty mediocre and not exactly something you should be thrilled about, but I will mention some unique differences.

BA PE 777
No dedicated PE lavatories
Cloth seats which are harder to clean and more prone to have stains from previous passengers
No individual air vents
Cheap blanket, pillow, and economy-style headset
Horrible food both in terms of quality and quantity
Often, very slow service since the majority of the cabin crew is assigned to Club World and there are relatively few crew to serve both Y and PE

AA PE 787
Dedicated PE lavatories
Leather seats and the bulkhead row has full leg rests
Individual air vents (available to all classes on AA; however I'm mentioning them given that BA lacks them in all classes)
Comfortable Casper blanket and pillow; better headset (not noise cancelling but better than the regular economy ones)
Slightly better food (particularly in terms of quantity) and presentation is also nicer since AA serves all items in proper china for PE
Whilst AA has the same cabin crew for both Y and PE, in general, I find them to be far more efficient than BA's and on many flights, I have gotten multiple offers for drink refills within a few minutes of receiving my meal

Last edited by fly747first; Jan 25, 2024 at 8:51 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by fly747first
BA PE 777
Horrible food both in terms of quality and quantity

AA PE 787
Slightly better food (particularly in terms of quantity) and presentation is also nicer since AA serves all items in proper china for PE
BA has recently (and finally, after years of cuts under Alex Cruz) upgraded their PE dining, both in quality and appearance. On a round trip LAX-LHR recently, I found the food to be on par with AA's, and it is also served in ceramic tableware now. (Though on ORD it may be only the first meal, I know the shorter flights have a more abbreviated second service.)

OP mentions they are OW emerald, but for anyone who isn't a sapphire or above, AA would be the logical choice because of free advance seat selection.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
BA has recently (and finally, after years of cuts under Alex Cruz) upgraded their PE dining, both in quality and appearance. On a round trip LAX-LHR recently, I found the food to be on par with AA's, and it is also served in ceramic tableware now. (Though on ORD it may be only the first meal, I know the shorter flights have a more abbreviated second service.)

OP mentions they are OW emerald, but for anyone who isn't a sapphire or above, AA would be the logical choice because of free advance seat selection.
I just flew First and Club World and the food was atrocious in both (though far worse in Club World to be specific); thus, hard for me to believe that food in WTP/PE will be appetizing.

Even after allegedly upgrading WTP, only the main entree is served in proper china whilst the salad and dessert are usually on a cheap plastic plate or bowl whereas AA serves all PE items in the same china that it uses for domestic First with the exception of drinks which are served in plastic on PE.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
BA metal from ORD would give you UK261 protection. Duty of care and delay compensation (compensation depends on cause of the delay). Any metal ex-UK gets the same.
fholt and sushanna1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:40 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
All else being equal (which, let’s face it, it basically is), 787 for the lower cabin altitude.
And for the glorious windows...
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Lounge options on both ends of the flight are much better if on the AA flights. As oneworld emerald OP would have access to:
  • AA's Flagship Lounge at ORD T3 (instead of the terrible BA lounges in ORD T5)
  • If OWE through AA or BA access to AA Arrivals lounge at LHR (which is better than BA's arrival lounge at LHR T5)
  • If OP also has a return LHR-ORD flight - the lounge options at LHR T3 where AA's flights depart from are far better than BA's lounges at LHR T5.
UK261 protection ORD-LHR is the only reason I'd consider taking BA metal on this flight.
wrp96, krispy84 and safari ari like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA
With BA, the seat will either be the Recaro PL3530 (77M/77G) or the newer Recaro PL3510 (77H/77L). Both types are very comfortable and recline up to 8"

With the 77M/G, front row seats have adjustable leg and foot rests. All other seats have pedal style foot rests.

With the 77H/L, all seats have adjustable leg and foot rests.

All BA WTP passengers are provided with noise cancelling headphones

There are no restrooms dedicated to the WTP cabin - these are shared with WT passengers

AA
AA's 787s have Collins Aerospace MiQ seats. They are slightly narrower than BA's Recaros (not really noticeable though) but do include a useful side pocket wide enough to stow an iPad or reading material. The front row seats have an adjustable leg/rest. Others have pedal style foot rests. Seat comfort is comparable to AA Domestic First although the seat itself is narrower. Seat recline is 6"

There are no restrooms dedicated to the PE cabin - these are shared with main cabin passengers on the 787-9 or business passengers on the 787-8

BA's wifi tends to perform better over the Atlantic IME, but that's no guarantee. AA video screens are 11.5" HD; BA's are 10.6" HD (77M/77G) or 12" HD (77H/77L)
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
Also an unscientific personal observation is that among TA flights, BA tends to keep cabins warmer (and uncomfortable for me to sleep) and AA tends to have cooler cabins. If you're like me, I like to use a blanket to try and sleep. While in BA, I've often found myself too hot to use a blanket.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
Also an unscientific personal observation is that among TA flights, BA tends to keep cabins warmer (and uncomfortable for me to sleep) and AA tends to have cooler cabins. If you're like me, I like to use a blanket to try and sleep. While in BA, I've often found myself too hot to use a blanket.
BA’s service standard is 70-71 °F on night flights. If you find the temperature has crept upwards, just ask for the temp to be adjusted in your zone
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
On the other hand, AA has an infuriating habit of badgering people to close the window blinds on a day flight:

AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
Flown both of these several times, I prefer the AA 789 hard product but their service is really hit and miss. BA service as usually better. I'd probably go with AA as I sleep as much as possible. But as carlosDCA said...no significant difference.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by bse118
Lounge options on both ends of the flight are much better if on the AA flights. As oneworld emerald OP would have access to:
  • AA's Flagship Lounge at ORD T3 (instead of the terrible BA lounges in ORD T5)
  • If OWE through AA or BA access to AA Arrivals lounge at LHR (which is better than BA's arrival lounge at LHR T5)
  • If OP also has a return LHR-ORD flight - the lounge options at LHR T3 where AA's flights depart from are far better than BA's lounges at LHR T5.
UK261 protection ORD-LHR is the only reason I'd consider taking BA metal on this flight.
Valid point on the lounges - especially in LHR.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
AA

There are no restrooms dedicated to the PE cabin - these are shared with main cabin passengers on the 787-9 or business passengers on the 787-8
Your comment on the AA 787-900 is incorrect as PE pax can still use the lavatories in front of the PE bulkhead row but they have to access them through each aisle; the dividing curtain on both aisles is located in front of these two lavs so J pax would have to cross over into PE to use the two lavs by doors 2L/2R. AA did this to prevent PE pax from going into the middle galley where there are usually snacks for J.

I don't know why (I'm guessing due to complaints) but if you look carefully, there was an extra set of curtains between J and PE which previously allowed the lavatories by doors 2L/2R to be exclusive for J, but AA removed these curtains and nothing prevents PE pax from using the lavs now; however, if anyone tries to go through the galley/bar area, the crew will tell you that's only for J though you can use the 2L/2R lavatories as long as you aren't trying to cross onto the other side through the mid galley.

Last edited by fly747first; Jan 25, 2024 at 11:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.