Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How much power does this FA (nonrev) have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much power does this FA (nonrev) have?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chleonard
Their traveling partners can be just as bad. I was on a flight a few years ago where I happened to have a row of MCE to myself. Just as boarding was finishing, a non-rev shows up at my row with his wife and daughter. Wife immediately tells me I have to move because the family can't be split up, not asks just *tells* me to move - only other open seat on the whole plane is very last row middle seat next to the lavs. I say "no I paid for this seat weeks ago, sorry" (no AA status here but I did specifically pay for the extra legroom - I'm tall and anything except a MCE aisle is very uncomfortable). Wife (who is very obviously drunk btw) continues berating me while the husband keeps telling her it's no big deal before taking that last row seat. Wife and daughter finally take the seats next to me and give me dagger eyes for the next three hours, fun!
How did you know it was a non-rev?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is the OP assuming that the apparent AA employee was a FA if she wasn't in uniform? Maybe she was a pilot or even an executive with the company.
I'm guessing mid-level manager. Or a manager's wife. Flight crews usually dress the part.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Problem is the OP was being too polite because he knows damn well these airline employees these days are completely power tripped and in quick second can render your travel plans null and void. It’s total BS.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by enviroian
Problem is the OP was being too polite because he knows damn well these airline employees these days are completely power tripped and in quick second can render your travel plans null and void. It’s total BS.
It's true, so many of them are now. I used to take the crews word for anything happening in the cabin and side with them. Now however, I don't always give them the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, it's getting a bit ridiculous in general. I miss the old days, when almost every flight went off without an issue. The passengers were civil and usually dressed appropriately, the cabin service was good, and everyone got off the airplane happy. I don't see how we ever get back to that place...
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by freeagent
NRSAs do not have access to any details of the passengers on the flight. The only details they have are number of seats available by cabin and the standby list. On the standby list they can tell who are revenue standbys. The only information given on the standby list would be a persons status and abbreviated name (i.e. LAS/F)
Not true at all. Assuming the NRSA (or NRPS) in question is an employee (as opposed to an employee's eligible) with a SABRE sine and a modicum of intelligence, they have access to A LOT.

Why is the OP assuming that the apparent AA employee was a FA if she wasn't in uniform? Maybe she was a pilot or even an executive with the company.
Well an "executive" (if by that you mean Managing Director or higher) would have been hanging out in the Admirals Club and traveling confirmed first, even for personal travel!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by freeagent
NRSAs do not have access to any details of the passengers on the flight. The only details they have are number of seats available by cabin and the standby list. On the standby list they can tell who are revenue standbys. The only information given on the standby list would be a persons status and abbreviated name (i.e. LAS/F)
As Herb notes, definitely not true if the AA NRSA has Sabre access (as any flight crew member likely would). They should be able to access the full flight manifest that has much more information than just abbreviated passenger names.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
She represented her employer in a deplorable manner.

Termination.
Yeah, good luck with that one.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Since this seems to be the main thing that concerns you as far as wondering if the nonrev may have put in a word against you -- please note it's entirely possible that the discussion with the GA was on another topic and had nothing to do with you (perhaps they are friends). The nonrev may have thought: "This pax was feistier than I expected, but I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of watching me take another seat in defeat -- I'll just walk off and do something else entirely -- hey, how about I say hello to the GA."
Yes, this is a thought that occurred to me during the flight.

Initially, since there was so much anger in her voice and eyes, and the very first place she went was to the GA, my thought was "she's going to get me kicked off this flight, or enter a black mark in my record(s)".

It's entirely possible she went up there to beg for a seat. Don't really know.

All the best, James
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Indeed true. I know what they say about assumptions...however...
  • Had CREW tags on her bags, so probably not an executive
  • Rollaboard did not have a beat-up external metal frame, so probably not a pilot
  • Also, no pubs bag, so again not a pilot
  • Looked like standard FA luggage: TravelPro style rollaboard, with a gigantic extra purse/bag

Also, most pilots I know are polite to a fault. It would take a bizarro world to have had this exchange with a pilot IMHO.

So yes, it's an assumption, but FA.

All the best, James
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duchy
an employee is an employee , pilots and executives shouldn’t be talking to customers in that way either although presumably the OP flies with AA often to tell the difference between a pilot and an FA’s uniform and also understands executives are not uniformed ?
She was in civilian clothes. Yes, could have been an executive; but the few I've sat next to over the years had regular luggage and no CREW tags.

The total appearance was a FA that lived in RIC and domiciles in CLT. Or perhaps was just visiting family.

All the best, James
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fdog
She was in civilian clothes. Yes, could have been an executive; but the few I've sat next to over the years had regular luggage and no CREW tags.

The total appearance was a FA that lived in RIC and domiciles in CLT. Or perhaps was just visiting family.

All the best, James
One would hope an executive would have better intelligence than this. Of course, this is AA we’re talking about so it’s completely conceivable that management would be even more boneheaded than some surly FAs.
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
It was rude simply take the seat with luggage in front of it, simply because the other person had gone to the restroom, the comment "Here at American Airlines, we don't tolerate hostility of any kind" sounds like a threat to potentially stop the OP and spouse from travel.
I would have immediately requested management for them to know who she was, and would have expected them to report on the incident, as I would have certainly written to AA about it. She was the one a bit out of line to take the seat, and way out of line to make that kind of comment, and I doubt it was the first time. These kind of people do NOT belong in this business.
Exactly what went through my head at the time.

It was as if she went <poof> from impolite pax, to, vendetta-driven airline representative.

All the best, James
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Send an email to corporate, not CS.
Absolutely! ...but try as I can I have no idea how to do this. All I can come up with is a snail mail address for corporate.

Help!

All the best, James
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Originally Posted by fdog
Absolutely! ...but try as I can I have no idea how to do this. All I can come up with is a snail mail address for corporate.

Help!

All the best, James
Doug would love to hear from you!

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...ican-airlines/
fdog likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Update; today I received a phone call from American.

Yesterday I sent an email to Vincent Carcaterra (Director-Customer Relations). Pretty much laid out my experience, my worries, and flight details like PNR, etc.

Todays phone call was from Customer Relations. The nice lady who called was quite apologetic, and condemned the FA's behavior. The call was very professional, and I was assured there was nothing, and would be nothing, in my records related to this incident.

On the other hand, she said, the employee in question would be dealt with by HR. Apparently this isn't the first time.

So there you go. A load off my mind, and all within 24 hours of sending an email. Wow!

Huge thanks to the FT community, everyone's recommendations were spot on (Corporate vs Customer Service), and a tip of the hat to bobnchi for the address point!

All the best, James
PTahCha, Spiff, vasantn and 23 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.