Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any confirmation on lounge access….

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Any confirmation on lounge access….

I’ve read different reports about lounge access - I’m trying to get some confirmation.

1 - I’m redeeming AA miles on Qatar ORD-DOH-JNB. I think I have access in DOH to a lounge, but I’ve seen differing reports….

2 - I think I have access to lounges in ORD but I’ve only done CX F redeeming AA miles so not sure about J.

thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:40 pm

Assuming you're flying J (even on AA miles), you will have lounge access in ORD and DOH.

There have been a few reports of award tickets being incorrectly denied lounge access, but seems that's mostly at outstations and not in Doha.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dave_261
Assuming you're flying J (even on AA miles), you will have lounge access in ORD and DOH.

There have been a few reports of award tickets being incorrectly denied lounge access, but seems that's mostly at outstations and not in Doha.
I was denied access at DOH recently but I knew the rules and requested a manager who ultimately let me into the standard J lounge, not the inferior one where they send frequent flyers on Y tickets.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
I was denied access at DOH recently but I knew the rules and requested a manager who ultimately let me into the standard J lounge, not the inferior one where they send frequent flyers on Y tickets.
They tried to deny you on a J ticket?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
QR has new restrictions on basic fares even for business class. I think awards aren’t impacted but many staff don’t know that.
cmd320 and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro
There is really one one lounge open in DOH. the Al mourjan lounge. Which is one of the best bus class lounges in the world. Usually all J passengers on miles get in. I flew R class on QR recently but am EXP/ Emerald on american and they "granted" me access which is not typical.

folks on miles in Bus class always get in. their staff is usually well trained so perhaps a newbie manning the esclator.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Well it was an award J ticket and the lounge staff thought that just like the new QR basic paid business class fares, I wasn't entitled to lounge access but of course I ran out of patience with that ignoramus and demanded to speak to a manager who corrected his employee.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well it was an award J ticket and the lounge staff thought that just like the new QR basic paid business class fares, I wasn't entitled to lounge access but of course I ran out of patience with that ignoramus and demanded to speak to a manager who corrected his employee.
Do you also have PLT or above elite status, which should get you into a business class lounge also.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mvoight
Do you also have PLT or above elite status, which should get you into a business class lounge also.
Theres two different J class lounges at DOH. The QR "Al whatever" which is what QR business class passengers not on "light" fares get. Theres also a generic J class lounge (although currently closed) those with OWS get in. If it was open OWS on light fare would be sent there. However since it's closed they're being allowed in the QR lounge.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The outstation that I heard the most regarding lounge denials on AAdvantage award tickets at outstations is San Francisco. I don't know why but they constantly seem to tell people that award tickets does not qualify for lounge access.

The OP would normally be entitled to the Air France Lounge in ORD ( contract lounge of QR in ORD ) and the Al Mourjan Lounge at ORD unless things change.
I haven't yet seen a negative experience at ORD about wrong interpretation regarding lounge access.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
QR service is excellent when everything is simple and straightforward. As soon as you add a single wrinkle of complexity, it's a mess.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.