Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking: hand-baggage only fare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Award booking: hand-baggage only fare

This question may belong on the BA forum or here - not sure. When trying to make an award booking on a regional route (ORD-MSN), if I use Avios (BA), I get a "hand baggage only fare - no checked baggage allowance" note on the screen. If I go to AA and try using their miles for the same flight, I see no such note and indeed nothing other than the link to the usual table of all allowed checked baggage vs. routes.

What does this mean? Does this route (ERJ-145, Piedmont Airlines/American Eagle) allow the usual domestic checked bag(s) or not? Is there a difference between the BA booking & the AA booking in this respect? I am not concerned about the checked bag costs, but do need to make sure that they are allowed. Any clarity is appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
This question may belong on the BA forum or here - not sure. When trying to make an award booking on a regional route (ORD-MSN), if I use Avios (BA), I get a "hand baggage only fare - no checked baggage allowance" note on the screen. If I go to AA and try using their miles for the same flight, I see no such note and indeed nothing other than the link to the usual table of all allowed checked baggage vs. routes.

What does this mean? Does this route (ERJ-145, Piedmont Airlines/American Eagle) allow the usual domestic checked bag(s) or not? Is there a difference between the BA booking & the AA booking in this respect? I am not concerned about the checked bag costs, but do need to make sure that they are allowed. Any clarity is appreciated.
Well both AA and BA are correct, standard AA domestic fares (both award and paid) do not come with any free checked bag allowance. So I'm not sure what you mean by if AA allows "the usual domestic checked bag(s) or not" as there's no such thing.

Unless I'm missing something, you would need to pay the $30 for first checked bag (and so on) regardless of whether you book with BA avios or AA miles.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks - that answers my question. I was just concerned that the fare would somehow not allow me to check a bag at all.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Thanks - that answers my question. I was just concerned that the fare would somehow not allow me to check a bag at all.
Gotcha, yep, AA will happily take your money to check your bags
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
why not just drive?
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by goyankees32790
why not just drive?
Maybe OP can't drive, or doesn't even have a car available (i.e. flying to ORD on another airline/ticket and doesn't want to pay a one-way car rental fee). Or maybe just doesn't want to. This is FlyerTalk, after all, where people fly 12,000 miles in a weekend for no other reason than to earn some points, so I'm somewhat amused that a micro hop raises an eyebrow.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.