Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current flight loads SYD-LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Current flight loads SYD-LAX?

Has anyone flown SYD-LAX recently and have a read on the flight loads? If Economy is relatively empty, it seems like it might make more sense to get a seat there (and a potential solo row) vs. sitting in Premium Economy.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
Has anyone flown SYD-LAX recently and have a read on the flight loads? If Economy is relatively empty, it seems like it might make more sense to get a seat there (and a potential solo row) vs. sitting in Premium Economy.
I suspect you'll have plenty of space in economy. Y seatmaps look very empty for the upcoming week on SYD-LAX. Isn't Australia still capping the maximum number of passengers allowed on international flights at some absurdly low number (50?) - or is that just for incoming flights?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I suspect you'll have plenty of space in economy. Y seatmaps look very empty for the upcoming week on SYD-LAX. Isn't Australia still capping the maximum number of passengers allowed on international flights at some absurdly low number (50?) - or is that just for incoming flights?

-FlyerBeek

Hi,

Australia is limiting outbound travel from austraila ( a criminal offence to travel overseas unless exempt https://www.dmsmigration.com/austral..._restrictions/) so would imagine there will be limited no of travellers outbound also)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:51 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond

With current weekly caps on arrivals into Australia, how does that affect your travel. Perhaps you are already there?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking to travel when? Currently in AU?
From my very limited knowledge economy seat arms fold down, but PE does not. (may be incorrect)

AU currently restricts entry to about 30 pax per flight, to match the 14 day (state) hotel quarantine capacity. Only AU citizens, AU permanent residents and very limited others can enter Australia. AA-UA-DL often have seats for sale for the next day, next days. To me that indicants the USA to AU quota is not being fully used. A big difference from EU, UK to AU flights.

AU currently restricts departures from AU. AU citizens and AU permanent residents must get specific government permission to leave. Reports are they have tightened this up recently. Non AU citizens/permanent residents, AU citizens normally resident elsewhere and visitors can leave.
AU govt web site--> https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/

FT thread -->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
Some reports of people flying in & out of AU, in the last few months, in that thread or another (UA/DL?) thread (can't find at this time).

Edit
post 370 from April 2021 on UA SFO-SYD. Would expect AA to be about the same going the other way
Another UA thread-->United flights to Australia (2021) extremely expensive / limited space available
FlyerBeek likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 6, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Am already in AU and not a citizen. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:21 pm

Am already in AU and not a citizen. Thanks for the feedback!
You'll be fine -- I've done this twice during the pandemic.

Outbound flight load has ranged from 11 to 60 pax.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! That's very helpful.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Silver
Do they actually permit you to reseat yourself in another empty row? Or is the seating arranged as per the number of pax?

I will actually be flying Delta but am casting the net wide on info.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrshoes
Do they actually permit you to reseat yourself in another empty row? Or is the seating arranged as per the number of pax?
This a report of a UA flight 07 July--->LAX-SYD flight, and Quarantine Report
With very few passengers would no issues changing seats.
mrshoes likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
With each country being closed to one another I don't know how many people can be on these flights.

Cargo?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by enviroian
With each country being closed to one another I don't know how many people can be on these flights.
Cargo?
USA to AU. About ~15 per flight average, as AU govt restrictions. But reports are that some flights have nil quota and other more
AU to USA. Are still people, including USA & AU, citizens who can leave AU
Cargo rates are high and holds full, as far fewer flights USA<--->AU compared to 2019. UA are flying USA-MEL with cargo only: no pax
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD

If you find someone in the row infront or behind you, nevermind the same row I don't think we'd beleive you.
Mwenenzi and mrshoes like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:31 am

Unless you can get the seat changed at the boarding gate, stay in the seat assigned for take off and landing.

During cruise, it depends on how strict they are with using seat number for contact tracing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.