Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
If you are an EXP and/or flying J or F on AA, T5 is a cake walk. I went through there yesterday flying 81 home to DFW. Walk in the main terminal, go all the way to the right (zone J) and walk into the F area for BA. Look to the right and there are two AA staffed and marketed check in for customers who are emerald/EXP/J/F. Security is right there what is a huge bonus and takes all but a few minutes and you are plopped right into their F lounge. The lounge is average and unlike DFW's "flagship" lounge there is nothing out on offer (except drinks, pretzels, and mixed nuts). You have to order everything to your seat. I think it's a carry over from the covid excuse days but since I wasn't in this lounge prior to covid I can't confirm.

You exit down an escalator and then a long one down to the train to take you to B and C gates.
I shall definitely miss the First Class check in at T5 and the expedited security in spite of better lounges in T3.

Incidentally there are more items out on offer in the Flounge - there is a limited buffet area with a selection of cold and hot food which has opened since covid restrictions were lifted.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dwugson
Incidentally there are more items out on offer in the Flounge - there is a limited buffet area with a selection of cold and hot food which has opened since covid restrictions were lifted.
Really? I missed that. Where is it?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Thanks for the revision. FWIW, is the ending day really 11 July? The press release states that T3 is in full operation on 12 July. Ending 12 July implies there will be some T5 service on 12 July.
I imagine flights from JFK, LAX, DFW, MIA, leaving on 11 July may arrive at T5 on the morning of 12 July, and be towed to T3 for their departures.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dwugson
there is a limited buffet area with a selection of cold and hot food which has opened since covid restrictions were lifted.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Really? I missed that. Where is it?
It was near the entry to the area with the dining tables a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by econ
It was near the entry to the area with the dining tables a few weeks ago.
On the left hand side towards the far end of the lounge from the First security and beyond the main (terminal) entrance and exit.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Doubtless this sudden move back to T3 is also about the looming BA strike as well, to protect BA-BA connections and operations. I can't blame them but as a DFW AA pax it sucks!! I SO appreciated my same-terminal trips this year....sorry to see it suddenly wiped out almost four months earlier than originally planned. I guess the upside is that it MIGHT mean they don't expect a strike before the obvious target of July 22nd when the majority of UK kids get out of school; so I may have a strike-free trip this month, even if I do have to change terminals on the way home. And ultimately, just one more reason not to check bags...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My LHR-JFK at the end of July is now showing as T3 in the app.

Personally I’m ok with this as I’m originating at LHR and some of the T3 lounges are miles better than T5 but I do get that for many others it will result in broken connections and longer trips due to the change in the MCT BUT until recently that was always the case of a 90 minute MCT when connecting to BA from AA and vice versa and the terminal shuffle.

I’ve seen some very dodgy reasoning but this terminal swap is certainly not related to any putative BA check in staff strike.

The check in union members voted for strike but a strike is not certain until one is called - and 14 days notice is required - and can still be called off even when announced. The idea is not to strike as it loses the staff pay but to pressurise the company to settle the dispute.

Theee are also other staff groups at BA (and the wider airport) holding ballots at the moment with results awaited. If some of those groups strike then the impact would be far worse than if the check in staff did.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:57 am

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know when AA will remain in JFK until?

I’ve a DUB-LHR-JFK in Nov and it’s now an invalid connection if I’ve to go to T3. BA app is saying it’s all T5 (but it still says AA to JFK is T5 in August let alone November)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Sorry if I missed it, but do we know when AA will remain in JFK until?

I’ve a DUB-LHR-JFK in Nov and it’s now an invalid connection if I’ve to go to T3. BA app is saying it’s all T5 (but it still says AA to JFK is T5 in August let alone November)
As I understand it the AA move back to T3 lasts till the end of the summer timetable.

Now I personally don't believe that means there will be a move back to T5 for the winter timetable, though that is with no evidence. I imagine BA's thoughts on the winter timetable have a long way to develop.

As for your DUB/LHR/JFK, I think it's too far off to worry now, as I suspect there will be changes to the currently published winter timetable.
KARFA and andymcdonnell like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
[QUOTE=JJeffrey;34380314]I really hope so, if anything just to keep the peasants who don't know any better out of the CX lounge . The arrivals lounge has been open for a while now, btw.

In all seriousness I passed through LHR about 2 weeks ago flying back to RDU (this was about 8:30-9:30am on a Tuesday) and the CX F lounge was as busy as I ever remember seeing it pre-covid, all due to AA pax. They're going to have to do something as in the morning rush I don't think CX (at least the F side) can handle 4-5 more 77W's full of F pax and EXP's[/QUOTE]

And PPros
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Surely they must be planning to re-open the AA lounges soon? How can AA have all their flights in T3 and not have their lounges open?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
What do people recommend as the best lounge option in T3 out of Qantas (J), Cathay (J) and Amex Centurion?

Also, my LHR-LAX flights at end of July are still showing as T5 on the app?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by oceanscape
What do people recommend as the best lounge option in T3 out of Qantas (J), Cathay (J) and Amex Centurion?
Lots of discussion:

London LHR T3 best departure lounge for AA fliers?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Am scheduled on AA38 from MIA to LHR on July 11th. My booking is now showing Arrival at Terminal 3. Which is good for me because of a car rental reservation.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by oceanscape

Also, my LHR-LAX flights at end of July are still showing as T5 on the app?
My JFK-LHR flight on 13th July just changed to T3 today. I'd keep checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.