Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by 985X
I was in AUS AC earlier this afternoon. Original flight AA2198-AA2697 AUS-DFW-LAX. AA2198 started rolling delAAy crAAp, agent insisting I would have enough time for connection even with the AA2198 delay. I checked FR24, all red. So I told her I'm concerned AA2697 might get canceled (even it's a 789) hence I will be stranded in DFW. She said "oh the weather is getting better in DFW so you should be fine". I asked for rebooking on AS, she refused. Later I got another AC staff, asking her to rebook on AS. She said she could put me on AUS-LAX direct flight AA539 but I wouldn't get the upgrade. I said what about you rebooking me on AS in main cabin and I will get the upgrade automatically since I'm MVP 75k? She said she can't rebook me on other carriers if AA has seats available. Tension was high. I said fine, thank you I will keep my original itinerary and went into the lounge.

Exec Plat line was 90min wait, so I called mandarin line, 5min wait. Told agent the AS flights I wanted (AUS-BOI-LAX), reissued right away. So now I'm about to board the BOI-LAX flight back home, and it will land LAX sooner than AA2697 from DFW and AA1086 from AUS. I don't fly AA enough to judge whether the "cannot rebook on other airlines when AA has seats" statement from AC staff was true or not, or perhaps I was pushing a bit too hard on rebooking other airlines. But I need to get home man. At least with AS I know I can get home on the same day.

Sorry about the long rant, perhaps I was just unlucky I got two AC staff like this, or perhaps I was too lucky the mandarin line agent rebooked me on AS so I'm able to come back home without worrying about being stranded in DFW/AUS.
can you share the Mandarin line number with us? My grandchildren are taking Mandarin so I might get them to translate to get me on AS when this happens.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by boerne
can you share the Mandarin line number with us? My grandchildren are taking Mandarin so I might get them to translate to get me on AS when this happens.
LOL!
800-492-8095.
I think you can also try asking them first "you speak English?" so you can rebook by saying English to Mandarin line agents lol. They are actually quite compassionate and don't have sort of AAttitude some English line agents have.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
2. The AC staff won't hide from you-they will work to find out the real story 3. If you want to consider alternatives again the AC staff will help you. GAs will tell you to su$k it.
Not always. I've encountered AC staff at DFW who might as well have told me to suck it. AC agent at DFW was completely unwilling to help me with last minute (inside of 2 hours) ticketing. I had to call AA RES while inside the DFW AC to get the transaction accomplished.

Let that sink in: a telephone RES agent was far more helpful and competent than the allegedly Premium Services staff inside the DFW AC.

Semi-related operational comparison between airlines. Was traveling through ATL on DL last week and my connecting 717 took a mechanical. Ultimately wound up swapping equipment to a replacement aircraft parked one concourse away.

How quickly was DL able to find a replacement aircraft and get the flight boarded? Delay was roughly 1:15.

How quickly would AA be able to find a replacement aircraft and get a flight boarded at DFW? If I set the line at Delta's 1h15 is ANYONE taking the under?

So I told her I'm concerned AA2697 might get canceled (even it's a 789)...
As much as we all love these hub-to-hub widebodies, anecdotal evidence suggests they are particularly risky right now with regards to understaffing delays. I would not be taking a hub-to-hub 777/787 right now if I had a <2 hour connection at the arrival airport. Unlike narrowbodies, these flights carry a lot of freight. You're asking for a delay on these cargo-heavy widebodies with the state of CG and FF staffing right now.

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 16, 2021 at 9:03 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Unhelpful AC staff is not the norm. I've encountered the same, take what AA gave you and like it. Also, I've run into staff at the AC seem to be clueless to even the most basics-like routing through hubs. But on whole you'd get much more traction with an AA staff than a GA. What "could" impact the level of service from AC staff is are you an actual member and your status level.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
LOL!
800-492-8095.
I think you can also try asking them first "you speak English?" so you can rebook by saying English to Mandarin line agents lol. They are actually quite compassionate and don't have sort of AAttitude some English line agents have.
This is brilliant many many thanks. another reason to connect with Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.