Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dls25
...but there actually has been really bad weather in DFW the last few days -- hours and hours of thunderstorms often accompanied by hail.
Considering 1/4 of AA's flights are to/from DFW, that will ripple throughout the system. They are not really lying this time,
Yes there was weather at DFW and that was definitely part of the story but from what I understand AA also had non-weather related staffing issues, so combined it created the perfect storm (no pun intended).
Cargojon likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
DFW weather is predictably bad. Thunderstorms in the summer and ice/snow in the winter. I am reluctant to fly through DEW in the afternoon. Always try to avoid the last flight out of DFW. It seems that every time I booked the last flight out, I ended up scrambling for a hotel due to weather delays. Unfortunately, DFW weather can really affect AA flight around the country especially when resources are so tight.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'm stuck in Bogota right now. What these cancellation statistics don't know is the flights, like mine, that were subject to rolling delays until the crew finally timed out. So the flight that was supposed to be at 11:45 PM last night, is actually scheduled for 4 PM today. If I can get my checked bad off the cart in BOG I'm bailing on the flight entirely and either switching airlines or getting something through MIA.

Also explain to me why 80% of American Airlines staff in BOG doesn't speak English.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by KansasMike
I'm surprised no one has posted about the AA (and, to a lesser extent, Sprit) meltdown that began over the weekend. Twitter has been burning up over it and there have been a number of stories in the MSM.

It appears that they have had far fewer than sufficient people than necessary to operate their schedule. It would not be shocking Friday-Saturday since it was the end of the month and flight crews might be out of hours. But, apparently, it was hundreds of airport employees as well and it lasted Sunday through at least today which crew hours should be refreshed. I read a story a few minutes ago that said AA has already cancelled 9% of their flights for tomorrow. Is there some sort of job action in progress?
<Yawn>

AA meltdowns during weather events are hardly new.
ysolde and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
<Yawn>

True. You'd think with hubs in MIA, DFW, ORD, PHL, and CLT AA would have perfected ops during inclement weather yet somehow they're still one of the most disorganized and chaotic airlines when it comes to weather.
wrp96, becks1 and FlyerWx like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
When the delay is due to 'weather' it essentially allows the airline to be completely off the hook for any kind of hotel or compensation provided to the customer.
Isn’t this a PR nightmare when they lie and they are caught lying?

plus, lawsuits to cover hotels, compensations plus extra costs?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Isn’t this a PR nightmare when they lie and they are caught lying?

plus, lawsuits to cover hotels, compensations plus extra costs?
Not really. It's one of those things that's almost impossible to prove, plus no one is going through the trouble of a lawsuit to cover a $200 hotel stay. Thus airlines have for years been able to pull this kind of crAAp thereby costing customers and saving themselves millions.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by KansasMike
I'm surprised no one has posted about the AA (and, to a lesser extent, Sprit) meltdown that began over the weekend. Twitter has been burning up over it and there have been a number of stories in the MSM.

It appears that they have had far fewer than sufficient people than necessary to operate their schedule. It would not be shocking Friday-Saturday since it was the end of the month and flight crews might be out of hours. But, apparently, it was hundreds of airport employees as well and it lasted Sunday through at least today which crew hours should be refreshed. I read a story a few minutes ago that said AA has already cancelled 9% of their flights for tomorrow. Is there some sort of job action in progress?

Just a heads up that crew hours are now all on a rolling basis - and it's done in hours not days. In other words, end of the month has no bearing as we are constantly looking back at rolling totals. It's so complicated it's almost impossible for individual crew members to track it anymore...
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Weather happens. It's not controllable. However, all the other components within AA's (and airports'/facilities') control are not operating as well as they could or have in the past, which we are seeing greatly impact AA's ability to recover from weather events. There is not a sufficient number of pilots and FAs for the flights scheduled, crew scheduling seems to be suboptimal, support staff is not sufficient, operations staff is lacking and probably isn't the more senior people that were around in years past, airports/facilities are short staffed....it's really the perfect storm.

One of the craziest cancellations I heard from Monday was because the pilots timed out while loaded up at the gate and waiting on a fuel truck....
wrp96, Uzzar and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Weather happens. It's not controllable. However, all the other components within AA's (and airports'/facilities') control are not operating as well as they could or have in the past, which we are seeing greatly impact AA's ability to recover from weather events. There is not a sufficient number of pilots and FAs for the flights scheduled, crew scheduling seems to be suboptimal, support staff is not sufficient, operations staff is lacking and probably isn't the more senior people that were around in years past, airports/facilities are short staffed....it's really the perfect storm.

One of the craziest cancellations I heard from Monday was because the pilots timed out while loaded up at the gate and waiting on a fuel truck....
which makes all the more sense to book these flights with a decent credit card with delay/trip insurance/reimbursement, because counting on ANY airline to support you in times of IROPS, im not holding my breath...
cmd320 and no1cub17 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by michael1023
which makes all the more sense to book these flights with a decent credit card with delay/trip insurance/reimbursement, because counting on ANY airline to support you in times of IROPS, im not holding my breath...
Agreed, there are way too many people traveling that have no business doing so. I hear people at the airport and they say they do not have money for a hotel, car, food. If you can't afford to cover yourself and family in an emergency/delay, you have no business taking the trip. There are MANY things in life I would love to do but can't because of the cost, that's life! Way too many people feel its a birth right to travel/fly and take a vacation they cant afford.

-Rant off
dls25, Gerbs, roadtriper and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
I was in MIA last night about 530p connecting to LAX, when a severe storm passed over. My international checked baggage was delayed 2 1/2 hours as ramp crews had to go inside due to lightning. The AA agent made the majority of the announcements in Spanish, which was a bit of a problem. I’d been through lightning/storm delays in MIA before, so I had an over 4 hour connection. However, many summer flyers didn’t and you saw and felt their stress. At the concourse after, rebooking lines at the help desks, gates and AC’s were epic. Cancelled flights were popping up on the FID’s and my flight, which was only an hour late, but full in J the day before went out with 6 open J seats. It was as bad as I have ever seen MIA after a weather event. Even if they were fully staffed it would’ve still been awful.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
<Yawn>

Fixed that for you.

None of us should be surprised at this point that AA can't run a reasonable operation. Weather has been around since the start of air travel and will be around long after any of us are gone. Some airlines handle it better than others.

Where it gets really frustrating is when your flight crew was delayed over 24 hours ago due to weather halfway across the country, and your flight is proactively delayed the following day because AA can't figure out how to catch up and rearrange crews to get back on track. Yes, that is a real thing.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'm sure the weather in DFW was crap 3-4 days ago. The fact that it's going on a week later and they haven't recovered from it is what I find incomprehensible.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I'm sure the weather in DFW was crap 3-4 days ago. The fact that it's going on a week later and they haven't recovered from it is what I find incomprehensible.
I really don't know if it's AA that has such issues at DFW or DFW ops in general. Basically when it rains there you're F'd and that goes for any airline operating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.