Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

OK to Cancel 3rd Segment of Award Travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National

I’ve never had to consider this, so asking those with more experience. Traveling in September MLE-DOH-ORD-RIC on an AA award ticket. First two segments on QR, last on AA. Layover at ORD is over 5 hours. Was thinking about ditching that last AA segment and taking an earlier UA flight as I have flight credits to use up. Would that be considered a no-no by AA?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You can never tell, as "Married Segment Logic" may apply, where you can't cancel the segment.

However, if you are a no-show for the occasional flight, no airline is going to hunt you down and cut your fingers off - or even try to rescind miles or reprice your trip.

I assume you were going to claim your luggage in ORD? You can't do this if bags are checked through, but I doubt that will be the case here.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can just no show. Or cancel the segment after you've arrived at ORD.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Probably just cancel then as long as DOH-ORD is on time. The AA flight would be an E145 as opposed to the UA in a CR550 in J. Thank you both for responding.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Is there an earlier ORD-RIC that perhaps just doesn't have award inventory? After you clear customs in ORD T5, the AA check-in desk there might be able to list you for standby on an earlier flight.

Otherwise let AA know you won't show up for the flight - you should get a small tax/fee refund
Old Jul 31, 2021, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I assume you were going to claim your luggage in ORD? You can't do this if bags are checked through, but I doubt that will be the case here.
International arrival at ORD - no issue with or without bags.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:58 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Kacee;33453631]You can just no show. Or cancel the segment after you've arrived at ORD.[/

Originally Posted by redtop43
You can never tell, as "Married Segment Logic" may apply, where you can't cancel the segment.

However, if you are a no-show for the occasional flight, no airline is going to hunt you down and cut your fingers off - or even try to rescind miles or reprice your trip.

Originally Posted by shd9
Is there an earlier ORD-RIC that perhaps just doesn't have award inventory? After you clear customs in ORD T5, the AA check-in desk there might be able to list you for standby on an earlier flight.

Otherwise let AA know you won't show up for the flight - you should get a small tax/fee refund
There are only three AA non-stops. The one we are on, one that leaves too early, and one late in the evening. The others would all involve a connection which I would like to avoid after the long flight in from Doha. If the Flagship Lounge was open, it might make a 5 hour layover a consideration, but doesn’t look like that will be the case in September. Thanks for responding.

Last edited by TBRIC; Aug 1, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.